David Mary Titanium Machete

I'd like to get another piece some day. A nice thick piece I can make a heavier chopper with. Something I can bear down on like this one but also with enough mass that I can deliver force effortlessly. But that's way down the road. Neverthless you have me hooked on Ti just like that!

LC200-who now? 🤣 ;)

I'd like to get another piece some day. A nice thick piece I can make a heavier chopper with. Something I can bear down on like this one but also with enough mass that I can deliver force effortlessly. But that's way down the road. Neverthless you have me hooked on Ti just like that!

LC200-who now? 🤣 ;)

Testing some new thicker stuff now. 😁

It is a tradeoff,less weight quicker acceleration so you can gain force there.More mass gives more force but slower acceleration and also
slower deceleration and to me deceleration is of most concern.That is because my swinging technique is sometimes off and I want to be able to recover the
blade hatchet or sword without damage to my body.
A lightweight hawk or machete with sharp edge suits me fine.
Keep up the good work.

LC200-who now? 🤣 ;)

If David Mary David Mary keeps getting Ti from Mecha Mecha my wallet fears for the future. I'm super excited to see where things go from here.

Also...and possibly entirely related...how are things going with your reblade projects?

LC200-who now? 🤣 ;)

What's the difference between this Ti and LC200N? ....In terms of toughness, edge-holding, edge stability, weight, etc.
I'm guessing stainlessness is going to be similar :)

Perhaps a Ti Barax is in order?

Absolutely what I had in mind!!

It is a tradeoff,less weight quicker acceleration so you can gain force there.More mass gives more force but slower acceleration and also
slower deceleration and to me deceleration is of most concern.That is because my swinging technique is sometimes off and I want to be able to recover the
Keep up the good work.

Thank you. These are all good points. It bears mentioning that many balance styles are suitable, depending on the preference of the user and the purpose of the tool. With my Barax design, I have found that a blade about 14-16" long in stock between 5/32" and 3/16" starting at 2" wide and then tapering abruptly to a seax tip, with a 6-7" handle for counter balance, has good balance, not too much mass, but enough that I can chop had without exerting myself too much. But is also light enough that I can use it for small vines and branches, if I give it thin enough edge geometry. That's in the dozen or more Barax variants I have made in steel. So from what I have learned, a Barax in Ti would be pretty awesome in 3/16" stock, with the same dimensions and a 16" blade.

If David Mary David Mary keeps getting Ti from Mecha Mecha my wallet fears for the future. I'm super excited to see where things go from here.

Also...and possibly entirely related...how are things going with your reblade projects?

Reblade project details are published here:

I plan to update that thread later this week or early next week, including concept pics.

What's the difference between this Ti and LC200N? ....In terms of toughness, edge-holding, edge stability, weight, etc.
I'm guessing stainlessness is going to be similar :)

So far the toughness of Ti seems outstanding. As mentioned, I did not baby it. In the clip that I published Saturday, I started of with light chops, but by the end of it, I was chopping with a lot more force, and I was even sort of laterally twisting the blade back out of the stump a few times (accidentally) which on a blade that thin, I might have expected to cause some edge damage, but it did not. Looking at the blade again, I did find one barely perceptible chip at the very tip... which is not disappointing, or surprising to me, because I did smash the tip into the ground a number of times as well as hit a rock.

Currawong Currawong Edge stability is right up there with toughness, and the corrosion resistance with Ti is probably going to be even better than Lc200N. Meaning not only will it no rust, but I think it will be resistant to more corrosive substances than the steel. As for edge holding via wear resistance, I can't say from experience at this point, but I don't think wear resistance is the main trait we're after in a knife this size. But for edge holding via toughness, to resist impact, it's looking like a big winner.

And I'd be remiss not to mention my comment at the top of this page about LC200N was tongue in cheek. I still absolutely love that steel, and of course, I think its wear resistance is notably higher than Ti. Every material has its place.

Keep up the good work.

The deceleration is one of my favorite things about it as well, and also just control in general. It's easy and fun. :)

hey, looking good!
I've used a couple Mecha Mecha ti machetes, and have one that he says is nothing compared to this material but in my experience is the best machete I've ever used!

I wouldn't say nothing exactly, but the BT23 is the superior machete material IMO. One of the best things about it is the heat treatment is very consistent, while that other alloy is way more touchy.

Something arrived Way faster than I expected.....

It's really hard to describe. You think it's going to feel like something, and it feels different. It's lighter. Probably half as light as you think.
It's ballanced and fast.

David had wrapped it in hockey tape to increase it's grippy-ness.
I'm not Canadian. I can barely skate. Definitely not great. I can barely skate backwards......haha.

I took it off, and wrapped the handle in my preferred black silicone tape. It feels amazing. Squishy, but grippy. The handle is almost kinda two hands. But it's so light and agile that when swinging I forgot to use both.

I have all sorts of limbs and trees to cut.
Knives get worked Hard in my yard!

Anything wrist sized is maybe two hits. 3 most. Two inches and less is 1 hit.
This limb was a good six inches across. I came close to cutting it in half with 20 swings...... Then moments later, I did finish it through.
It was raining, and misting..... It's nice not having to worry.

I hope I can keep Using it. For a long time.
Thanks again!

Back