Day Out with My Survive!

So I went out today for a little hike here in Guy's old back yard in south central PA (I am a student a Shippensburg). I went up to a trail I frequent called Poles Steeple in Newville which is about 25 minute from Gettysburg. Its a pretty popular trail in Pine Grove Furnace. I took my dog and my GSO 4.1 out for some fun. The hike is usually pretty easy but in the ice it was a pain in the ass and i was slipping all over the place but it was pretty fun and the dog got an exercise in. I made some feather sticks and a little s'mores stake and had some fun cutting up stuff with my GSO 4.1. I took a couple pics and figured id share them on here and give you some nice blade shots.

IMG_2106_zpskw6as4gq.jpg

IMG_2110_zpsgyh35bcx.jpg

IMG_2111_zpszmbounfw.jpg

Heres a couple pics of the 4.1 at the top.
IMG_2116_zpsxpvvy03i.jpg

IMG_2117_zps7e0s53pt.jpg

a crappy litte s'mores stake i made in about a minute
IMG_2122_zpsm9smh2w5.jpg

Heres a couple of my dog Gunner
IMG_2119_zpsobnwpxbe.jpg

IMG_2109_zpsvfippajs.jpg

IMG_2108_zpssbp8fujp.jpg

and the view from the top
IMG_2113_zpsh5zjqli2.jpg

EG

So I went out today for a little hike here in Guy's old back yard in south central PA (I am a student a Shippensburg). I went up to a trail I frequent called Poles Steeple in Newville which is about 25 minute from Gettysburg. Its a pretty popular trail in Pine Grove Furnace. I took my dog and my GSO 4.1 out for some fun. The hike is usually pretty easy but in the ice it was a pain in the ass and i was slipping all over the place but it was pretty fun and the dog got an exercise in. I made some feather sticks and a little s'mores stake and had some fun cutting up stuff with my GSO 4.1. I took a couple pics and figured id share them on here and give you some nice blade shots. EG

Spent a lot of time up there over the years but honestly I was never up to pole steeple when there was snow on the ground. Great photos, it looked like an awesome day for a walk.

Spent a lot of time up there over the years but honestly I was never up to pole steeple when there was snow on the ground. Great photos, it looked like an awesome day for a walk.

Yea it was a beautiful day and its a great little hike to get in a little weekend exercise in between college debauchery. Plus it tires the dog out so he not a pain. I figured you would have been up there at least once or twice. I try to make a habit of going to different state parks in the Gettysburg/Chambersburg/Shippensburg area. Any suggestions on places to check out?

EG

Looks like a great winter hike, thanks for sharing.

Guy and Ellie are on fire with forum activity lately. I love it!

Yea it was a beautiful day and its a great little hike to get in a little weekend exercise in between college debauchery. Plus it tires the dog out so he not a pain. I figured you would have been up there at least once or twice. I try to make a habit of going to different state parks in the Gettysburg/Chambersburg/Shippensburg area. Any suggestions on places to check out?

EG

Not sure where you park but the pole steeple hike can be extended by parking over in the Fuller lake parking area and walking the foot path from there and up behind the pole steeple rocks. You'll walk the foot path that starts past fuller lake beach until you get to a gate, where it becomes black top and then go up the path to the right, which is actually part of the Appalachian trail. You'll go up quite a bit and then make the first left turn, which will take you out to the rocks. There is also a trail on the other side of the creek, which parallels the level foot path. You just might have to cross the creek on a fallen tree when you get to the gate, over to the foot path again to begin your ascent up to pole steeple. It is definitely the more fun walk.

Another great place is long pine run reservoir. You can walk around the lake there, just stay away from the spillway. The park rangers like to randomly give people tickets for being under the falls at the spillway or for swimming because it is a posted area. I guess because of liability. I've always been hiking the times they were out "enforcing", so I would just disappear into the woods when they tried to get my attention. You can kayak or launch any other un-motorized boat though.The real jewel in that area though is the rocky knob trail, which is a 7 or so mile loop, that begins down by the lake. You can get maps at the ranger station. If you just enjoy being in the woods around there, honestly the ATV trails are a great place to walk or trail run as well and there is probably close to a hundred miles of those.

If you enjoy climbing at all, Shaffer rock is a great place to hang out, and there is always White rock, over by Mont Alto. White rock is interesting because there is so much to climb around on and you don't need ropes to get around most of it. Also a FANTASTIC place to catch the sunset, since the rocks face west and are completely unobstructed. Just be sure to bring some bug spray. Sometimes there are mosquitoes up there.

Not sure where you park but the pole steeple hike can be extended by parking over in the Fuller lake parking area and walking the foot path from there and up behind the pole steeple rocks. You'll walk the foot path that starts past fuller lake beach until you get to a gate, where it becomes black top and then go up the path to the right, which is actually part of the Appalachian trail. You'll go up quite a bit and then make the first left turn, which will take you out to the rocks. There is also a trail on the other side of the creek, which parallels the level foot path. You just might have to cross the creek on a fallen tree when you get to the gate, over to the foot path again to begin your ascent up to pole steeple. It is definitely the more fun walk.

Another great place is long pine run reservoir. You can walk around the lake there, just stay away from the spillway. The park rangers like to randomly give people tickets for being under the falls at the spillway or for swimming because it is a posted area. I guess because of liability. I've always been hiking the times they were out "enforcing", so I would just disappear into the woods when they tried to get my attention. You can kayak or launch any other un-motorized boat though.The real jewel in that area though is the rocky knob trail, which is a 7 or so mile loop, that begins down by the lake. You can get maps at the ranger station. If you just enjoy being in the woods around there, honestly the ATV trails are a great place to walk or trail run as well and there is probably close to a hundred miles of those.

If you enjoy climbing at all, Shaffer rock is a great place to hang out, and there is always White rock, over by Mont Alto. White rock is interesting because there is so much to climb around on and you don't need ropes to get around most of it. Also a FANTASTIC place to catch the sunset, since the rocks face west and are completely unobstructed. Just be sure to bring some bug spray. Sometimes there are mosquitoes up there.

Thanks for getting back to me i'll definitely check those sites out. White Rock sounds real interesting possibly next weekends fun.
EG

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
Can't wait til my black dog is big enough to come with me on adventures.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
Can't wait til my black dog is big enough to come with me on adventures.

Hes not that old only about 7 months but he's pretty obedient and doesn't stray more than 15 feet from me. How old is your dog?

EG

About 15 weeks. She's a good listener, but doesn't get her final round of shots til Monday, so I haven't been able to take her to the dog park, just been running her in the yard.
I'm hoping to get her trained up enough that I feel comfortable taking her with me on a short backpacking overnighter by this summer.

For now, she takes a lot of naps :p

1424067465727_zpsbutzzayb.jpg

About 15 weeks. She's a good listener, but doesn't get her final round of shots til Monday, so I haven't been able to take her to the dog park, just been running her in the yard.
I'm hoping to get her trained up enough that I feel comfortable taking her with me on a short backpacking overnighter by this summer.

For now, she takes a lot of naps :p

1424067465727_zpsbutzzayb.jpg

I remember when my dog was that small only a couple months ago

EG

Where is this trail at? I'm a student at McDaniel and live just south of the Mason Dixon. I'm always looking for good places to hike!

Back