De-assisted Vallation

BadgerBlade1

Gold Member
Quick question. I am interested in picking up a Benchmade Vallation. I like almost everything about the knife (size, blade shape, materials used, ect.) but I don't like that it's assisted opening and would rather have a manual. I would be interested in de-assisting it but not sure how the action will feel after it's done. Yes I know this will void the warranty. I also know that they are a pain in the rear to re-assist after it's been done. I want to know if anyone has de-assisted one and how it turned out? Thank you in advance!

Not a Vallation, but I did take apart a 580 Barrage. I followed a couple of youtubes to see how to do it. Taking it apart is easy, re-assisting is a little tricky but doable.

I have a few manual Benchmades, so the need for the Barrage to be manual wasn't a driving force, and the fact that it is as close to an auto that I will ever be, I prefer it as an AO.

It certainly operates like a manual axis lock when de-assisted and actually very smooth.

Thank you for the response! I imagine the Vallation would be similar in how it functions without the AO. If I end up giving this a try, I will update the thread with how it turned out!

Oh, and from what I have gathered from the Benchmade Forum, de-assisting it doesn't necessarily void the warranty. It is lawyer speak for if you screw it up royally, they can charge you for fixing it, you know, covering their a$$e$

Just my personal opinion...

Although I haven't de-assisted my assisted BM's, I have taken them apart and put them back together. I had the opportunity to de-assist them. Although some people prefer them de-assisted, the larger blades (like on the Vallation) are pretty easy to flick out by a firm shake of the handle without the assist spring helping to hold the blade in. If you like that, more power to you.

IMO, try it for a few months with the assist and re-evaluate your plan of de-assisting at that time.

I agree you should try it out for a while first. I never recommend “de-assisting” an assisted opening knife. The manufacturer designed the knife to function a particular way and taking the spring out can cause other problems with things like keeping the knife closed.

My recommendation is to find the knife you like best, in factory configuration. There are so many choices out there today, there isn’t any reason to mod the function of any knife. Just my thoughts.

83dfaa72160d6ab434891a14c328701f.plist

De assisting is not all that much of a big deal. The main thing you will want to do is keep up with all the small screws. Suggest doing it in a cooking pan about 13 x 9 size. Do not want to be chasing small parts all over the floor or workbench. Check out U tube vids.

De assisting is not all that much of a big deal. The main thing you will want to do is keep up with all the small screws. Suggest doing it in a cooking pan about 13 x 9 size. Do not want to be chasing small parts all over the floor or workbench. Check out U tube vids.
That's a good idea about the pan. I would add, laying out a microfiber cloth in the pan. That way nothing tales a bad bounce.

Back