Deals for 1/23 --Pix, Giant Chitilangi Bowie, Thamar Samsher and Great Buys

Thanks to you (seriously thank you!) I just bought a long leaf blade from Atlanta cutlery to restore and re handle!

What can I say, glad I mentioned them :). Sure hope they pick up a nice one for you. A historical piece has an inherent value in itself that a new blade cannot equal. Good luck with your project, I guess your sale went well ;).

I paid 70 dollars including one day shipping for a piece of history at least 120 years old. Yep went good.

ndog if bookie has not already spoken for this one, i would like it when you die :D-- absolutely stunning piece-- ndog wins!!!!

ndog if bookie has not already spoken for this one, i would like it when you die :D-- absolutely stunning piece-- ndog wins!!!!
OK bro! Its yours. Bookie aint claimed it yet? He must have something custom in the works with Aunti? Musta? Hes just been kickin back with that eatin grin on lately so I know hes up to somethin? You gotta give me a few years to play with it tho Ok. and likewise with one of them mandaus;) If I had any hair id leave you a tuft or two to add to your collection:D

Oh my! You can run but you can't hide, Bookie be playing with his dolls again.

OUch! Hey you grabbed the wrong doll dude!

Oh my! You can run but you can't hide, Bookie be playing with his dolls again.

OUch! Hey you grabbed the wrong doll dude!

Owww! Sum beach! Wth? I cant sleep all of a sudden. Freekin shootin pains in my back and terrible headache! Spasmin curved spine and All. Bookie! Please put them things back in their pine boxes. Man we gotta talk about this midnight ramblin stuff! Bawanna I think hes gone to them big needles pugs uses.

You've done a good job with that, that's the only HI type of knife I have and it's sweet at that length. Even sweeter that it's a 26, and not 29 ounce like mine. I don't know how having a ring feels on these, but it's very fine to use having that handle type, feels good on your hand. I'm betting the 15" will remain my "working" blade for a long, long time.

Why do you consider 26 to be better than 29?

Why do you consider 26 to be better than 29?

At a given size, a lighter blade will be less tiering to use for the same amount of time. Conversely, a longer blade than a shorter one of same weight will feel easier to use (as if being lighter).

OTOH, a heavier blade will have a bigger impact in wood, so a better cutting potential, but having correct technique goes a longer way IMHO than 3 oz of weight difference.

So "better" is my personal preference, not necessarily everyone's opinion.

My M 43 is 29 oz @ 15" overall length.
Samsher is 28 oz @ 17.5 OAL.

Still, given the fact that a longer blade gives more leverage, I won't be surprised if I were to find out that at the same sharpness, the latter is a better chopper, or at least easier to use. This is but theory, it remains to be confirmed, because how that weight is distributed along the blade is another factor.

Anyway, an M43 is for me a blade that will be hard to be surpassed even by this new one; great user, packaged in a very, very nice look. I'd say the Samsher looks somewhat similar. There's a common pattern that my eye likes.

Handle yours for a while and see how it feels; you have to experience before having a preference. I surely like a compact M43, it just felt right in hand. I think you'll love yours, too.

Is Thamar an ex-apprentice of Bura himself? I kind of vaguely remember reading that, can someone confirm? Or is it just that their eye for beauty is similar in their work?

Is Thamar an ex-apprentice of Bura himself? I kind of vaguely remember reading that, can someone confirm? Or is it just that their eye for beauty is similar in their work?
You may be thinking Kashar Lal. He worked with Bura and makes the KLVUK model among many others.

Awesome...what kind of information are you looking for?

Just how they feel- balance, things like that:) I'm only familiar with the two kukris I have. The longest blade I've had is just over 12". And I keep looking at the Giant Chitalangi Bowie here:)

Just how they feel- balance, things like that:) I'm only familiar with the two kukris I have. The longest blade I've had is just over 12". And I keep looking at the Giant Chitalangi Bowie here:)

Ndog can sure give you some insights, as well as some other lucky owners of the GCB.

Back