Deals for 1/23 --Pix, Giant Chitilangi Bowie, Thamar Samsher and Great Buys

lol savage burn , I love it when english lays down the foundations for the speaker being the punchline, I had no idea how that sounded until you posted about it LOL--

I did not mean to say I got in a large square box, but that I had a box come in from reno, that was filled with wonderous goodies including perfect cho farmknife 2 wooly hats and assorted purna and thamar knives :D

Nobody would ever label you as a showoff, don't worry about it! :p

hey I am such a loser in everything else I think it is ok for me to win at knife nerding :D-- and I don't mind being the guy you can point to and tell your loved ones that you don't have a problem, that guy has a problem , you just like a few HI knives every once in a while ;)-- also cultivate a good relationship with local pawnshop, many times I come up with knife money buy pawning a gun for the month and buying it back at the end; but I get itchy if I don't buy some handcrafted weaponry every week

Last edited:
hey I am such a loser in everything else I think it is ok for me to win at knife nerding :D-- and I don't mind being the guy you can point to and tell your loved ones that you don't have a problem, that guy has a problem , you just like a few HI knives every once in a while ;)-- also cultivate a good relationship with local pawnshop, many times I come up with knife money buy pawning a gun for the month and buying it back at the end; but I get itchy if I don't buy some handcrafted weaponry every week

Oh, I like the part with "[...] the guy you can point to and tell your loved ones that you don't have a problem", I'll try to pull that off, should work in the end :D.

I was just browsing yesterday your Photobucket...admired many pieces but reaching the picture w/ the whole collection spread wide...oh boy! Wow, just wow! :D

I am actually putting them up right now in the room with my brother's aquariums , will definitely post pictures when done, setting up several curio cabinets and stands for the antiques, has been a long time coming, but I have had a bunch of fun working on it the past few ; my dad got really into the cuipaga and axes and now we are digging up his stuff too and trying to put it on display ( the old man has a collection of fine fire arms, so those will go up beside the antiques and the HI's)-- so new pictures are coming in the next couple of weeks, as my camera is no longer fritzed--

That'll really be something, I remember you mentioned cooking this at some time before. Looking forward to see pictures of your efforts!

Now, does anyone know, since Thamar's kukris' lines have a somewhat longer (read: "not that steep" or "acute") part / curve (not the spine but the edge) where one would expect the sweet spot to be, what area does he harden most? To better visualize, check the edge "drop", or "roundness" on a WWII vs this one. I would be interested to know, but I'm not that curious as to force a patina on the blade just to have it at some time polished back again. I mean, I don't care for the polish in itself, satin is fine, other usage signs over polish are fine as well, but I wouldn't make quite such a dramatic change just out of curiosity. I realize there will be variations from knife to knife but in the case of the older kamis it seemed people knew what was their usual approach.

Here's the best effort I'm capable of, to explain...check the curve of the edge between these two models (I'm bad with words, bad with "drawing" sills):

specs_amp_terms.jpg

P.S. I think that the fact the blade itself is verrrry nicely curved at the spine plus the handle as well (love it!) confuses me a little bit. You'd think the sweet spot would extend to "somehwere" when you have the blade on the desk, take it in your hand and trying to visualize the same gets a little bit more confusing.

Based on making contact with stuff, I'd say it's a quite wide sweet spot, probably proportionally to the longer edge "curve".

I've got all the terms down to science, right? :)

Hey, Ndoghouse! I was right about Thamar, I'm not THAT old to forget things so easily :D, here's the proof:

"Years ago begening of Birgorkha shop Thamar Bahadur work with Bura Kami as a helper and he learn how to make good Khukuri from Master Kami Bura.
Thamar made this Dui cirra for your collection."

First post: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1205194-New-Kami-Thamar-Bahadur-Dui-Chirra-for-7-30 .

Yep! Ill be a monkeys uncle! You were right! Thats gotta be the one. Man I cant remember that long ago. That was last year wasnt it:D So Bura touched a lot of people didnt he? Thanks for bringing that up Moon!

Hey Moon, Here's the knife from that thread next to a WWII. Your guess is as good as mine as to where the sweet spot is, since I haven't used the knife.

IMG_3855_zpsn4ilf7ad.jpg~original

Wel, Philllll, at least someone understands my confusion :), thanks. I did some light tests, meaning not so hard impacts on hard woods, once I sharpened it (the edge had that little annealed skin from buffing and I had to make sure the metal was fine below it). I tried to use a part where I was sure the sweet spot was extending to, but anyway I hit other parts as well...without any damage FWIW. A proper test will follow, of course, but I don't expect any surprise, other than maybe me doing better on the 2nd sharpening session :).

L.E. Gorgeous knives, both. I just love the look on Thamar's blades, really. There are a few subtleties I haven't seen in others, so it seems to me. However, since the M43 by Kumar is the only other HI I have, I'll say that with a self-imposed...grain of salt.

Wife said it's the same knife, from pictures, why would I need two of the same type :rolleyes:. (It shocked me how different it feels, being more forward-balanced, but now I've got used to it. How would they even look the same? :) ) Truth be told, OTOH, I don't NEED two, heck I didn't need ONE to begin with :) but it sure was fun.

Last edited:
Try running your chakma over the edge and feeling for differences in how it skates off the edge, that might give some indication of where the blade is hardest.

I'll try and see if I can tell the difference. I might need to look around for one of those cheap old files laying around, only problem being that they're so 'no name', I have no idea how hard they are, but I don't expect these to thread into "monster hard" category.

Funny thing is, I may have access to a Durometer in a few weeks, but it can tests only individual points. Wish there was some kind of spectrometry thingy that would tell you the story :).

If you have access to a buffer, you could force a patina to look for the temper line, and then polish it back up.

Try running your chakma over the edge and feeling for differences in how it skates off the edge, that might give some indication of where the blade is hardest.

Try Phillis suggestion, it works very well.

Back