Deals for 8/27-- Pix, Manakamana Special, Kerambit and Great Buys

Yangdu

Himalayan Imports Owner ~ himimp@aol.com
17.5'' 28 ounce villager fit and finish Manakamana Special by Rajkumar. Chiruwa style satisal wood handle with four pins. Knife with beauty, power and grace for your ongoing colletion at $140 YBB. *SOLD*

8-27-12001.jpg

8-27-12002.jpg

10.5'' 10 ounce BDC by Lachhu. Horn handle. Cute one for your collection at $65 YBB. *SOLD*

8-27-12003.jpg

8-27-12004.jpg

9'' 10 ounce Kerambit by Lachhu. Dharan antler handle. Take this beauty home today at $125. *SOLD*

8-27-12005.jpg

8-27-12006.jpg

9.5 inch 6 ounce Bilton by Dharan Kami. Satisal wood handle. Perfect gift for your loved one at $45 YBB. *SOLD*

8-27-12007.jpg

Email to himimp@aol.com to get any or all

Last edited:
This is one of those days where I wish I could say, "Email sent for the lot":D That MS is a beast. I love mine, and an antler Kerambit is like a stag gripped 1911. Just such classic cool.

And I have always loved those cute little BDCs. It's a khuk for when you aren't packing a khuk;)

I really like that BDC! But I haven't quite got the funds saved up yet to indulge in more Khukuri yet...

This is one of those days where I wish I could say, "Email sent for the lot":D That MS is a beast. I love mine, and an antler Kerambit is like a stag gripped 1911. Just such classic cool.

And I have always loved those cute little BDCs. It's a khuk for when you aren't packing a khuk;)

Your right.. I like every one that Yangdu offered today.. The 10.5. 10oz BDC would be a great all around Belt knife.. A little big for a EDC for my taste, but there probably isn't much that you couldn't use it for. The Karambit looks great to. The Blade on the Manakamana looks perfect, as well as the handle. I prefer the villager fit and finish. It appeals to me for some reason. Congrats to those who sharked them, Good score!!!

Rajkumar makes are really, really fine blade. His execution on my Manakamana is impeccable. It has quickly become one of my go-to khuks simply because it seems to do so much so well. Brush work? It's balanced enough that brambles and junk samplings fall in a single swing. Limbing work? Anything under 3.5" and you aren't going to break a sweat (with proper technique). Something scratching at zipper of you tent at 3am? 2lbs of fluid steel leaps and locks into your mitt. You never want to be at arm's length from one of those things that bumps in the night...but having an extra 18" reach of finely forged Nepali goodness helps to steel the nerves:)

Kerambit received. This thing is awesome! I watched a youtube video which taught me how to use/hold it. It handles great and is really fun to use. Much lighter and easier to handle than it looks. Thanks HI.

Email sent on the BDC... I'm blaming you danboy357!! I'd forgotten that it was there until you bumped this thread!!
The HIKV has been been bad lately. Its to the point where my wife just assumes that I'm going to get a new HI blade soon, and she's more resigned to the fact than upset at the possibility... :confused:
Hopefully this tamps it back down a little.

(shipping tomorrow!! Now comes the exciting wait for the triangular box!!)

Last edited:
Manakamana Special Review

I'm very pleased with my new Manakamana Special from 8/27. It's a graceful design with many excellent qualities.

Yangdu listed this one as 17.5" length and 28 oz weight. The weight is exactly 28 oz, but the length is a full 18" measured in a straight line from the tip to the center of the handle butt. The bolster and scabbard tip are steel, based on a simple magnet test.

The Manakamana Special is an example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Someone called it a "Sirupati on steroids," and that's pretty close. The knife is comfortable to hold and swing, yet with its full 18" length and substantial belly it feels like a really big knife. I like it even better than my ASTK and M43 of similar length and weight. Of course each of those blades is beautiful in its own way, and equally functional.

The blade is hollow forged on both sides, not easy to see even up close and certainly not in a photo, but visible when you run a straight-edge along the blade. That will keep it from binding up in wood on deep cuts. Although very shallow, the hollow forge is apparently deliberate since it is fairly uniform and similar on both sides of the blade. I don't know if this is a designated feature of the model or something Rajkumar did as he was working. (Maybe the hammer strokes just naturally create a bit of a hollow, but it's certainly not present on all blades.) The spine is 5/16" thick -- not a lot by HI standards -- but that spine thickness extends most of the length of the spine, finally narrowing to 1/4" until about 1" from the tip, which makes this a very strong blade.

The handle is one of the best I've seen. The satisal wood has a tight grain, hard to see in a photo because of the dark color. It is very well shaped and polished. It looks like dark, reddish brown marble. I've been doing wood polishing for years and have refinished a couple of HI handles, but there's no way I could improve this one. The handle has no rough or protruding edges. The ring is traditional, well done and not so sharp or deep that it hurts the hand. On some other khuks I've had to sand the edge of the ring a little (on the palm side only) to make it comfortable without changing the look. This handle needs none of that. The 4-pin chiruwa style looks great.

The overall workmanship is impeccable, as I've come to expect from Rajkumar kami. Of course the blade is perfectly straight with a clean bevel line and well-executed cho. The Sword of Shiva is simple and sharply cut. All the engraving, including Uncle Bill's initials, is in Devangari and was done after the final polishing, since the letters are a bit raised and rough to the touch. That could be sanded down easily, but I kind of like the raised lettering.

The scabbard is well made but a little loose for the thickness of this blade. It finally catches and feels tight when you push it all the way in to the bolster, but I wouldn't want to ever carry it with the handle horizontal or lower. (Not that I can carry it very far around here, the laws being what they are. :mad: )

There are some small imperfections. The final polishing (to villager satin finish) left a "cloudy area" of scratch marks near the tip on both sides. I might sand that out, or not, as it's minor. The edge is very sharp and cuts paper easily, but the sharpening left a barely visible ribbon of steel along the edge that felt rough to the finger. I'm not experienced at sharpening, but I got almost all of that off in about fifteen minutes with the Chakma, which made the edge even sharper. Not "shaving sharp." You'd have to have a death wish to shave with this knife. :D

The Karda and Chakma are well done. However, a small, shallow splinter of wood came off the side of the Chakma handle when I first pulled it out of the scabbard. The splinter was about 1/2" long and 1/8" wide. I could have just sanded the shallow depression, but since the splinter was intact I superglued it back in place. Problem solved. I'll sand down the excess superglue when I get around to it.

I apologize for not posting pictures in auch a long review (I'm not set up yet), but Yangdu's original posting has a couple of photos, above. Maybe someone else can add some photos of his MS here.

I don't have much wood that needs cutting, but I couldn't resist taking a few careful swings with this blade at a dried up lemon tree trunk that I uprooted a couple of years ago and never disposed of. The blade bit into the hard wood very nicely each time and after cutting out a small wedge I called it quits. There was not the slightest sign on the edge that it had done any work at all. For any extensive chopping I'll probably turn to my $45 Ugly Villager by Arjun kami -- which, at 16" and 23 oz, continues to be the most comfortable khukuri that I have, and the one I would least worry about dinging up.

-- Dave

Last edited:
Sorry shinook but I am also glad to hear it because I was looking at that one a little too hard yesterday myself. It appears that we have similar taste; now if I do break I'm gonna have to buy the ff or vala from this weekend as you have taken the cheap road option away from me.

Is the DUI pronounced (deewy) or (D. U. I.)? If the latter, what does it stand for? I have often wondered but never did any web research as I figured if I enter any search containing DUI I am gonna come up with about a million or so lawyer ads.

Is the DUI pronounced (deewy) or (D. U. I.)? If the latter, what does it stand for? I have often wondered but never did any web research as I figured if I enter any search containing DUI I am gonna come up with about a million or so lawyer ads.

It is pronounced "Dewey". In Nepali Dui means Two. Tin means three. In reference to Chirra It would mean Two Chirra and Three Chirra.
Please see the note about Chirra in the link here: http://www.himalayan-imports.com/Construction.html

Thanks Karda. So the DUI refers to the basic design of the khuk rather than serving as a name in the way Kobra or Foxy Folly does.

Thanks Karda. So the DUI refers to the basic design of the khuk rather than serving as a name in the way Kobra or Foxy Folly does.
Yes but, Dui is just a number in a different language that what we are speaking. It can pertain to apples as well as blades. Right now after writing all i did this morning i feel i have Dui heads.....

Sorry shinook but I am also glad to hear it because I was looking at that one a little too hard yesterday myself. It appears that we have similar taste; now if I do break I'm gonna have to buy the ff or vala from this weekend as you have taken the cheap road option away from me.

I agree, we do seem to have similar tastes. :cool:

I hope you hurry up and buy the FF and Spear Vala...

Manakamana Special Review

I'm very pleased with my new Manakamana Special from 8/27. It's a graceful design with many excellent qualities.

Yangdu listed this one as 17.5" length and 28 oz weight. The weight is exactly 28 oz, but the length is a full 18" measured in a straight line from the tip to the center of the handle butt. The bolster and scabbard tip are steel, based on a simple magnet test.

The Manakamana Special is an example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Someone called it a "Sirupati on steroids," and that's pretty close. The knife is comfortable to hold and swing, yet with its full 18" length and substantial belly it feels like a really big knife. I like it even better than my ASTK and M43 of similar length and weight. Of course each of those blades is beautiful in its own way, and equally functional.

The blade is hollow forged on both sides, not easy to see even up close and certainly not in a photo, but visible when you run a straight-edge along the blade. That will keep it from binding up in wood on deep cuts. Although very shallow, the hollow forge is apparently deliberate since it is fairly uniform and similar on both sides of the blade. I don't know if this is a designated feature of the model or something Rajkumar did as he was working. (Maybe the hammer strokes just naturally create a bit of a hollow, but it's certainly not present on all blades.) The spine is 5/16" thick -- not a lot by HI standards -- but that spine thickness extends most of the length of the spine, finally narrowing to 1/4" until about 1" from the tip, which makes this a very strong blade.

The handle is one of the best I've seen. The satisal wood has a tight grain, hard to see in a photo because of the dark color. It is very well shaped and polished. It looks like dark, reddish brown marble. I've been doing wood polishing for years and have refinished a couple of HI handles, but there's no way I could improve this one. The handle has no rough or protruding edges. The ring is traditional, well done and not so sharp or deep that it hurts the hand. On some other khuks I've had to sand the edge of the ring a little (on the palm side only) to make it comfortable without changing the look. This handle needs none of that. The 4-pin chiruwa style looks great.

The overall workmanship is impeccable, as I've come to expect from Rajkumar kami. Of course the blade is perfectly straight with a clean bevel line and well-executed cho. The Sword of Shiva is simple and sharply cut. All the engraving, including Uncle Bill's initials, is in Devangari and was done after the final polishing, since the letters are a bit raised and rough to the touch. That could be sanded down easily, but I kind of like the raised lettering.

The scabbard is well made but a little loose for the thickness of this blade. It finally catches and feels tight when you push it all the way in to the bolster, but I wouldn't want to ever carry it with the handle horizontal or lower. (Not that I can carry it very far around here, the laws being what they are. :mad: )

There are some small imperfections. The final polishing (to villager satin finish) left a "cloudy area" of scratch marks near the tip on both sides. I might sand that out, or not, as it's minor. The edge is very sharp and cuts paper easily, but the sharpening left a barely visible ribbon of steel along the edge that felt rough to the finger. I'm not experienced at sharpening, but I got almost all of that off in about fifteen minutes with the Chakma, which made the edge even sharper. Not "shaving sharp." You'd have to have a death wish to shave with this knife. :D

The Karda and Chakma are well done. However, a small, shallow splinter of wood came off the side of the Chakma handle when I first pulled it out of the scabbard. The splinter was about 1/2" long and 1/8" wide. I could have just sanded the shallow depression, but since the splinter was intact I superglued it back in place. Problem solved. I'll sand down the excess superglue when I get around to it.

I apologize for not posting pictures in auch a long review (I'm not set up yet), but Yangdu's original posting has a couple of photos, above. Maybe someone else can add some photos of his MS here.

I don't have much wood that needs cutting, but I couldn't resist taking a few careful swings with this blade at a dried up lemon tree trunk that I uprooted a couple of years ago and never disposed of. The blade bit into the hard wood very nicely each time and after cutting out a small wedge I called it quits. There was not the slightest sign on the edge that it had done any work at all. For any extensive chopping I'll probably turn to my $45 Ugly Villager by Arjun kami -- which, at 16" and 23 oz, continues to be the most comfortable khukuri that I have, and the one I would least worry about dinging up.

-- Dave

Thanks for the review.

BTW, I know California has draconian laws in regards to lots of different weapons, but knife laws are about as good as they get here. Unless you live in a major city that has an ordinance in place that states otherwise fixed blade knives can be carried no matter how big they are as long as they aren't concealed.

I bumped this thread to show the Manakamana Special model, which came about after that bus trip when all the kamis and families went to Manakamana temple. Nice clean lines on this khukuri.

(I also might have, maybe, bumped this thread to give the fellow addicts a little "jolt" upon seeing the "Deals for 8/27" title. ;) )

Its really about impossible to respond in time to any of these offering, lol.. I get home from work and check and they are ALWAYS gone....

Back