Dear Benchmade,

I'll just add that I have around 15 folding knives from BMKC. The only issues I've had that were not related to my tinkering was with an online distributor's exclusive 710 which I sent in to BM and they promptly fixed it.

I will add that the coated blades took awhile to swing freely. I don't consider needing to adjust the pivot screw as an issue. I also realize that there knives need a little break in period to eliminate lock stick if I flicked a new knife open too hard.

I've had good experience with their customer service through 1. their custom shop configurator, 2. replacing a blade I messed up, and 3. for changing a pocket clip or two.

I want to say in general, the only QC I had with a knife was a RAT 1 I bought off of Amazon, and ever since then I use the more popular online dealers and ALWAYS ask them to check for proper blade centering and no vertical play when locked open.

Whenever there was a question, the online dealers I use always contacted me (different brands) just like DLT described how they would do it.

Between the pleasant experiences I've had with those online dealers (haven't had the pleasure yet to purchase from DLT but they have been on my list), the QC issue I had with an Amazon seller with my RAT, and the fact that often Amazon usually costs more than these established dealers, I have written off Amazon for all of my knife purchases.

Benchmade Benchmade Just saw this one on a facebook group. This should not have gotten past QC, even a quick glance at the grind should have made it quite apparent that it was not right. Maybe it was a first thing Monday or a last thing Friday knife.

From the color change at the tip of the blade it looks like it might have gotten a bit too hot. Was too much metal removed from the back, or not enough from the front? There is quite a difference.

19679280_10159014331655788_5961997459646197566_o.jpg

Reactions: Mo2
Agreed. I will forward this on. Looks like way to much removed from the front of the blade with a change in angle as well. Also looks burnt at the tip as you pointed out.

Good to hear. The guy posted a picture of the box label as well if that helps.

19702887_10159014577290788_7752162442599124001_o.jpg

Benchmade Benchmade Just saw this one on a facebook group. This should not have gotten past QC, even a quick glance at the grind should have made it quite apparent that it was not right. Maybe it was a first thing Monday or a last thing Friday knife.

From the color change at the tip of the blade it looks like it might have gotten a bit too hot. Was too much metal removed from the back, or not enough from the front? There is quite a difference.

19679280_10159014331655788_5961997459646197566_o.jpg

I've seen several 940-1 with edges about that bad recently.

Yes the new labels help us track down the date/final inspector. Thanks.

OP, sorry to hear about this poor quality control. 2017 is the year I have sworn off Benchmade, my favorite knife brand since 1998. I gave up because of the exact issues you experienced. I have handled countless models over the years, and the QC is poor. You absolutely must buy in person. For $400 plus for the 781 and about $500 for the 87, they pushed me too far. And ironically, I'm a RIDICULOUS spender! For years I have expected the majority of others to quit Benchmade too, but the majority really do not care enough to never buy their models. I really wish I could own a business like that!

This. I have owned just four Benchmade knives. An Adamas, fullsize Griptilian, Balisong, and a Presisio 2. The Presidio 2 was the only one bought sight unseen online, and had QC issues. The other three were perfect in every way. I did like the Presidio 2, but I returned it. For the record I would like to find a perfect example one day as it really is a nice knife.
Edit: Adamas has developed lock rock.

Last edited:
I am down from seven to five Benchmade knives. Never have had any Omega springs break or any problems with an Axis lock. Blade centering has not really ever been an issue with only one knife being off just enough to claim it wasn't perfect. Even then, you really had to look for it. You had to look hard.

Only two of my knives could I claim anything was wrong. My 162 Bushcraft and 531 both have minor edge problems out at the blade tip. Considering that they were both purchased used, I have no real complaints.

The last Benchmades I got were a 556, 275, 615-1, 119BK and a couple others, all bought in 2016. I cannot find anything wrong with the knives. I always look to see if anything is obviously wrong, these are all good right out of the box. I try and keep my expectations realistic and for my money I expect a decent working knife that is free from mechanical and visual defects.

Mine were a 915, 860, 665apb, and the 20cv grip. All came perfect. What is interesting about this thread is I am not sure the Op sent the knife in so benchmade could fix it. That would be the first thing I did, or send it back to the dealer. Maybe I missed it and the Op did this. However in another thread he still had it in early June. Why not get it taken care of or get your money back?

To keep the information flowing:

Freshly-purchased Adamas as of yesterday afternoon. This is the last one my brick and mortar shop had in stock, and oddly enough, these are really hard to find outside of the internet!

The flaws I saw in this knife are fixable on my end, so the purchase was a no-brainer.

Mildly off-center blade, and wonky edge grind were the two noticeable flaws I saw before I bought it. The action was smooth enough for a coated blade and should break in after a cleaning and some use.

Poorly-sharpened edge:
FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Off-center blade (hard to get a good pic of it. looks worse in person):

IMG_7186.JPG

940 variants seem to have the most fit and finish issues of any model of Benchmades I've handled. You really have to handle if first or have a knowledgeable dealer select one for you.

I was told by a custom maker that if a blade is ground by a right or left handed human you will always have a slight difference in the grind on each side of the edge.

I may have spoke slightly too soon...

940-1702_01
by The 017, on Flickr

The clip is so far overbent it was a struggle to remove the Axis lock card from underneath it. It is so tight I can't even clip the knife into my pocket. It's also got a bit of side-to-side blade play.

Centering:

940-1702_02
by The 017, on Flickr

Not nearly as bad as this 940-1: (1st Benchmade DISASTER), but the worst of any knife I've ever had.

And the pièce de résistance:

940-1702_03
by The 017, on Flickr

940-1702_03b
by The 017, on Flickr

It looks like a bit of rogue abrasive got stuck between the blade and the grinder, as the scratch/gouge perfectly follows the grind lines/pattern. It looks worse in person than in the photos.

Obligatory label photo:

940-1702_label
by The 017, on Flickr

The positives? The actual evenness of the grinds are perfect, and it's more or less evenly sharpened (I give sharpening a little leeway since it's done by hand).

OK, so not an absolute disaster, but this has been the most disappointing Benchmade purchase I've made by a big margin, and the second most expensive to boot.

I don't expect 100% absolute perfection, and I certainly don't expect to be able to look at a Benchmade under a microscope or a loupe and find fit & finish to rival that of a Swiss watch. But at these price points, things should be a little better.

Unless I can physically handle the knife beforehand, and failing that, be able to find a Benchmade retailer that will inspect (and just as importantly, stand by their inspection), I'm very sad to say I won't be purchasing any more Benchmade products in the foreseeable future.

So wait, you went to REI and picked out the one with fit and finish issues? The whole advantage of buying from a brick and mortar store is that you can handle and inspect the knife in person.

^^ It may have been purchased online. I got mine directly from the store. Opened the box before I purchased. Mine was blemish free, perfect centering, decent edge, slightly stiff but smooth action.

It is butter smooth now. Edge has been fixed with Edge Pro. Very happy with this one.

The knife is sitting on an REI shipping box. I'll let the readers come to the conclusion as to how I purchased it.

Well, they've got a hell of a return policy, either way. And lots of cool stores. You should check one out for future knife purchases.

Back