Dear Benchmade,

I was kind of hoping maybe they had their more experienced guys building the made to order knives. I'm
going to order a Grip in M4 soon and go with some custom scales.

I knocked the nubs off my orange mini-grip handles with sandpaper...ended up smooth, but with tiny black
dots where the nubs were. No biggie

FWIW I recently bought a 940-1 (which I like a lot) but had to examine 4 examples at 2 different stores before I found one that didn’t have major issues with grinds, centering, play etc. I’m not a stickler at all but one was so badly off center it was actually rubbing the scales.

I've had 5 customs built. 1 was slightly off-centered, 4 were ground un-evenly. 1 was perfect all around.

Bought a couple of 710s right when they discontinued and the blad was offset so that
The tip laid above the bolsters and cut me,

Bought a Contego that wobbles and the thick part of blade rubs unless i tighten it so i can barely flip it—axis failed on this knife in one month.

I own at least ten BM knives and quality has really slipped over last ten years

Kids off on Winter break and I've been up to my ears in kid stuff, so I figured I'd take a mental break and provide my own personal opinion (for whatever it's worth) on this topic. :)

I have a pretty sizable collection of Benchmade knives and, like some of you, I'm extremely particular about my knives, and have several basic expectations for every decent+ knife in my collection (e.g. centered blade, even grind, free dropping action etc.). Like many of you, of course I've purchased a few Benchmade knives that could have been a touch more perfect. In some cases I have just returned them, and in others I've sent them in for service. The bottom line, though, is that in EVERY CASE, Benchmade has taken care of me. There was one situation where a knife was simply defective and, while I'd rather not detail how they resolved it as I don't know if it was their usual protocol, I will say that it was way beyond fair, and they don't know me from anyone.

I do agree that it's a pain to have to return a knife, or to send a knife in for service, but the fact is that Benchmade has grown very significantly over the years, and it's not difficult to understand the challenges involved in making every single knife to the standard of a gold class, where additional time is taken and the most experienced builders are involved. And I've got to think that, even with some less-than-ideal assembly here and there, 99% of their customers don't pay attention to many of these details that are important to a crazy guy like me.

And while it has taken a few back and forth shipments, every knife in my collection now meets my personal standards. I think that people are sometimes a little quick to jump to the conclusion that "Benchmade has gone downhill," but I believe that this is very far from the truth. The R&D that goes into Benchmades smokes much of the competition, their sales are through the roof and a great American company is growing. They are providing a substantial collection of very useful models that have been very well researched. And, as I mentioned, most customers are probably thrilled with the quality, selection and awesome service.

I suppose if Benchmade changed their warranty to 1 year, or played the kind of games that other makers play (such as makers that have a "hole" in their customer service strategies), I'd care more about the occasional assembly misses. Until this happens, though, I truly do feel like I never need to worry about any Benchmade in my collection, and I appreciate that.

Take it with a grain of salt, ladies and gents. :)

I have a small sampling of benchmades and im batting 50%. I have a grip and a presidio 2 that are perfect. I have a 940 with side to side play that can not be adjusted out and i had a contego with the same issue. I sent the contego back and it was returned to me with the same problem. I sold the contego. I dont want to send the 940 in because it cost me alot ship the contego and there was no benefit in the end. I agree with the sentiment that benchmade has great designs and when properly executed they are some of my favorite knives. That being said im tired of playing the online lottery. I did ask the online retailer to inspect the knife prior to shipping each time. Its promising to see a bencmade mod on the forum actively responding to people. I hope they can turn their qc around. If they do they will see alot more of my money in the future. Sadly if no changes occur, competition is too stiff to take chances on maybe getting a knife thats worth what you paid.

I have a small sampling of benchmades and im batting 50%. I have a grip and a presidio 2 that are perfect. I have a 940 with side to side play that can not be adjusted out and i had a contego with the same issue. I sent the contego back and it was returned to me with the same problem. I sold the contego. I dont want to send the 940 in because it cost me alot ship the contego and there was no benefit in the end. I agree with the sentiment that benchmade has great designs and when properly executed they are some of my favorite knives. That being said im tired of playing the online lottery. I did ask the online retailer to inspect the knife prior to shipping each time. Its promising to see a bencmade mod on the forum actively responding to people. I hope they can turn their qc around. If they do they will see alot more of my money in the future. Sadly if no changes occur, competition is too stiff to take chances on maybe getting a knife thats worth what you paid.

I hear you. Well, for whatever it's worth, I am pretty damn sure that if you got the knife back with the same issue they would gladly send a call tag so that you don't have to pay shipping again. I get the hassle though.

I’ve got a Bugout with some kind of issue where the Axis pin contacts the tang that causes grinding and a gritty feel. The pivot swings freely when the lock is disengaged, but when using the lock it almost feels like sand is in there. Clean it out and there is a metallic residue.
There’s no clear obvious burr, but the Axis pin has picked up a darkened color around one side that won’t clean off.
Following stumbling on another BF member mentioning the same issue on his Bugout, I’ll be sending this in for a fix. Though that same member had to send it in twice for it to be corrected.
I don’t have this issue on my Mini CR or Mini Grip, but wondering how often this comes up for others and what their experience has been like with warranty requests.

I’ve got a Bugout with some kind of issue where the Axis pin contacts the tang that causes grinding and a gritty feel. The pivot swings freely when the lock is disengaged, but when using the lock it almost feels like sand is in there. Clean it out and there is a metallic residue.
There’s no clear obvious burr, but the Axis pin has picked up a darkened color around one side that won’t clean off.
Following stumbling on another BF member mentioning the same issue on his Bugout, I’ll be sending this in for a fix. Though that same member had to send it in twice for it to be corrected.
I don’t have this issue on my Mini CR or Mini Grip, but wondering how often this comes up for others and what their experience has been like with warranty requests.

Is your blade magnetized? Try testing this with a paper clip.

I live up the road from the factory and always stop in to look or buy knives. The other day I picked up an Osborne 940 and it is the first Benchmade I'm not extremely happy with. I ended up taking it apart and fixing the issues myself because I didn't want to drive back to Oregon City that night. The blade was almost rubbing in the scale and the brass bushings weren't square at all so and no lube at all. I have it fixed up now but man its hard to want to keep buying knives from them with the QC issues. I love Benchmade but this thing wasn't even close to perfect out of the box

Reactions: Mo2
I live up the road from the factory and always stop in to look or buy knives. The other day I picked up an Osborne 940 and it is the first Benchmade I'm not extremely happy with. I ended up taking it apart and fixing the issues myself because I didn't want to drive back to Oregon City that night. The blade was almost rubbing in the scale and the brass bushings weren't square at all so and no lube at all. I have it fixed up now but man its hard to want to keep buying knives from them with the QC issues. I love Benchmade but this thing wasn't even close to perfect out of the box
Didn't you look at it in the store?

Didn't you look at it in the store?
Nope, it was my bad on that part. They were super busy and the guy didn't offer so I just left without opening it. In hindsight I should have opened it but oh well, I fixed it up and its good now

I just opened my "custom shop" built Grip and like what I'm seeing. I ordered a M4 sheepsfoot with nylon handles. It has nice even edge grinds, the blade is perfectly centered and the lock up is rock solid in both directions. The short, deep carry clip feels good in the hand.

I think its a heck of a good deal in todays knife market for $155, considering the lifetime service
that goes with it. I dont mean to sound like a Benchmade advertisement, but I'm kind of stoked about my new knife. :D

Sent my Bugout in (see quote above) and got it back a few days ago.
Looks like they replaced the DLC coated pin (why is it not just stainless?) but didn't address any possible issues with the tang.
Starting to have the same issues again and hard lock stick when flicked open with the thumb stud.
I had written that I thought there may be a burr on the tang, but no remarks on that, just the pin replaced.

I'm seeing the DLC being worn away in a line on one side. (See picture)
The overly tight lock stick is really annoying me, too.

Am I crazy, do I need to send this back (twice?!), or just live with it?
I have another Bugout (GRY) coming in tomorrow so I'd like to know if anyne else is running into this issue. In my quote above I mention that someone else posted that they had to send it back twice to get a similar issue fixed... thats not super appealing to me.
My other Benchmades have stainless pins and I have none of these issues.

Pictures for reference:

Build up after a tear down, cleaning, and rebuild following scale dye. Happening within a few dozen openings.
FTN2sKZ.jpg

Note the line being worn into the pin after less than a week of use.
370d28M.jpg

This is after a wipe off of the tang and 5 flips. Note the uneven wear already showing on the tang (more to one side... hard to photo)
rBgkFTN.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys. The pocket clip is fixed now. I had to take it off the handle and bend it with pliers. I was careful not to damage the finish though.

As for the spacing between the clip and handle; it wasn't even touching. The only part of the pocket clip that was making contact was where the screws went through.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about price, Just Quality Control. I understand that titanium isnt cheap. I also understand that 20CV blade steel isn't cheap. Plus the stonewashing and anodized bronze handle, on top of that you're supporting a U.S. workforce. That I understand. It's the fact that these are leaving the factory in this condition. Just blows my mind.

Now, if this knife would have been $350 Dollars I would be singing a different tune.
Well I have 500 bucks saved up for my next midtech purchase,and it will be a Olamic Wayfarer 247. I haven't had any issues with my Benchmades, but these are all older models, I really like my latest purchase of the 710, bought when they decided to discontinue it.
The milled clips are always set with a gap between scale because it’s not springy and more ridged

I broke my Benchmade dry spell with a hollow grind Grip because they are disco’d. Here’s the skinny on my bought sight unseen brand-new Grip:

If I was a collector and not a user, I’d be PISSED. This is handily the worst QC of any KNIFE, let alone Benchmade, that I’ve ever purchased in the last 25 years.

I too got a HG Grip recently with a box date of 4/27/18. I always planned on getting the sheepsfoot HG but it was low on my list until I found out they are to be no more. Mine is satisfactory, it was $102 OTD, and all but one of my folding BM knives have come from the same LKS, and all have been handled prior to buying. I also managed a mini-grip, same model, only because the guy selling it only wanted $60 at a time when they were $20 more locally. It was also satisfactory - in both cases smooth action, good grinds, well centered (at least not hitting the scales). I don't do safe queens, but I have no love (not even a little bit) for the nylon scales, so until I replace them, these two stay boxed. And I will never carry the mini, it is entirely too small in my hand, may put on pretty jade scales and make it available to my wife to carry/use while camping.

Reading this thread, I have gone back and critically looked over those Benchmade folders I have gotten, all of them are satisfactory examples of I was looking for, that day. F&F is as expected and blade grind and action as well.

I am a completely satisfied customer of Benchmade. I am sure that my LKS ensures that stays the case. I know they never sell a sight-unseen knife off the counter, and not sure if they do online sales.

I am lucky to have a Local Knife Shop, I do like being able to support locally owned businesses and they do not charge platinum prices for steel no matter how good it is.

As always, this is only my observation of my acquisitions.

Back