Important Info! Deceased makers

R.I.P., Jim, I loved visiting with him at the NY Show, such a nice guy. Yesterday I was looking through the update from Nordic and saw a very unusual offering from Jim, brought back memories and now this. Happy to have owned several of his knives over the years, recently gifted one to my nephew.

Meet Jim through Stabber (Ricky) he was always a gentleman and made on of the best knives out there, could make you a sheath in 5 minutes , every time I saw him at the shows he had a smile for everyone and treated you with all the respect, may he rest in peace.

Tom Enos (his shop was actually within the Disney World, FL- He had refused to sell to Disney and forced them to develop the park around his property)

n2s

David Wesner, who did business as "Kelsey Creek Knife Works" passed away on February 27th, 2021 at the age of 59. His obituary in the local paper only says he died peacefully at home with his wife and daughter. Apparently something forced him to abandon his knifemaking business (and his former home out in the sticks) several years ago.

I'm not a regular here, but I worked with Dave in a couple small machine shops from roughly 1991 to 2002. It's really weird... I'm sure I worked with the guy daily for at least 7 years altogether, literally side by side for years at a time, and I never knew he had any special interest in knives. Me and him did not get along especially well, despite often-coinciding political views, and frankly I never saw any clue that the guy was capable of particularly fine work. I'm trying not to speak ill of the dead here. One other guy we both worked with was Dave's snowmobiling buddy, and you'd think he would have been aware of Dave's interests, but I can't remember the two of them ever discussing knives. Another co-worker was quite vocal about his own knifemaking, and more than once showed off his creations (which I'd charitably term "rustic") and I do not remember that any big discussion of knifemaking ensued. I do remember Dave talking in general terms how he longed to have his own business. And I remember him once bringing in an old beat-up anvil to mill the top flat with the company's indexable-insert milling head. But that's it. On the other hand, I remember Dave constantly talking about hunting, snowmobiling, and especially his trapping adventures. So it's not like he never talked about himself.

Well about 10 years went by since the last time I saw Dave, and both of us had long since left our last common employer. But a co-worker in my latest (and still current) job is quite a skillful knifemaker himself and one day he's telling me this story about somehow encountering/visiting this super-talented knifemaker that he obviously regarded as sort of a guru. A guy named... Dave Wesner! Well my jaw about hit the floor, and my jaw hit the floor again when I saw photos online of Dave's knives. I've been a machinist and prototype maker and diemaker for over 30 years, I consider myself to be pretty handy with anything from a hand file to a CNC mill, and I'm even pretty well known in certain internet gunsmithing circles. I thought I'd done some pretty nice work, and I have, but I'll honestly tell you I have never made anything so perfect and pretty and detailed as the knives made by David Wesner. He had an outstanding eye for lines and proportions, for one thing. Well, what else can I say? The guy will forever remain a bizarre enigma to me.

Last edited:
I've not been a regular in the knife world in almost a dozen years. Came here hoping for information on David Wesner, as we were friendly at one point before I fell off the earth. Thanks for posting this, F Fuzzbean . Rest In Peace, David.

Read all 9 pages. There were more than a couple tears. RIP, folks.

Sorry to add a name: Ron "Bowie" Claiborne, Knoxville. 28OCT2020. Rest In Peace, old friend.

Last edited:
Probably best known to the "Traditionals" crowd, Joe Allen passed on 6 JUN 21. One heck of a nice guy and a really good slipjoint maker.

Jim siska passed away. rest in peace.
Jim was one of the best, soft spoken and friendly, I knew him through several years of the Ashokan seminars that he would be a presenter showing how to grind a knife, I’ve missed him as the last few years he hasn’t been there

Here’s a picture of him I took a few years back always with a kind smile

IMG_1246 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
Back