1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Deciding between a Sebenza, Inkosi, or Mnandi

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by newknife1, May 20, 2019.

1. Sebenza

2. Inkosi

3. Mnandi

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. sn0wman72

sn0wman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2017
    It is difficult for me to recommend a "first CRK" with your added need that the knife will likely not be used

If you were going the user route than a pj Sebenza (small or large up to you), this is a classic CRK. As you are going non-user, than I would recommend fancy Sebenza with a graphic that catches your eye or a cool wood inlay.

WHT and aengina like this.
  2. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Voted sebenza as the first.

You may not use a knife 99% of the time, but you need a knife 100% of the time.

Edgeoflife and Peter Hartwig like this.
  3. JITDC

JITDC Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Definitely small Sebenza first, in my opinion. I have two Micartas, one drop point and one Insingo. However I just picked up a small Inkosi today. It’s a great knife but if it didn’t exist I would be perfectly content with Sebenza.

353 likes this.
  4. newknife1

newknife1

Jan 29, 2017
    Leaning towards a plain small Sebenza insingo and a Mnandi. Gonna try to go to a store to feel them out before making the purchase.

Anyone know if CRK will release a limited time inlay Mnandi any time soon? The current options on their site don’t really excite me

5. grumpy514

grumpy514 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2011
    The Mnandi isn't really in the same category as the other two you posted. The Mnandi is truely a gentlemans folder (nail nick knife) that you would carry while wearing a blazer or something of that sort. You can't go wrong with either the Sebenza 21 or Inoski. Both can be used for hard tasks or light work, the Mndandi is light work at best.

Therom likes this.
  6. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I think you should start with a plain version of the Sebenza, either small or large depending on your general knife size preference.

loon#r likes this.
  7. red mag

red mag

Apr 12, 1999
    Inkosi, by that I mean a small one.
    All you need - at first.
    Then a large - for the want, well you may find you need it.
    hope this helps.

8. 353

353 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2015
    This :thumbsup:

9. Tseg

Tseg

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm 7 1/2 months into carrying exclusively a small micarta insingo inkosi. Every month or so I hand sharpen it and it performs even better than the prior sharpening. When new, the "brown" micarta had a reddish hue but with wear it has become darker and more brownish. I carry it 95%+ of my waking hours, day after day, unless I'm travelling by plane. It is solid like a brick sh**t house. The clip shows some wear and some very slight wear around the edges and can see some hairline scratches on the blade in the right light, but still looks nearly like new. I have a large Sebenza with wood inlay and Damascus blade that feels A LOT more frail in all regards... but it is a looker. The small Inkosi really is ideal for ease of carry and use.

J D Wijbenga and Lady1911 like this.
  10. pjmaxm

pjmaxm

Nov 29, 2005
    Double lug plain Sebenza in the size of your choice is my suggestion. I have a rotation of four CRK that I carry and over time have owned every model of folder they make but if I was only able to have one it would be a double lug plain Sebenza 21. While it's fun to have the others that one is really all I would ever need for an EDC.

11. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    I like the Inkosi and 21 but lean towards the Inkosi. The Zaan is my favorite so what do I know? :)

Therom and Lady1911 like this.
  12. Curl of the Burl

Curl of the Burl Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Sebenza 31!

Therom and Lady1911 like this.
  13. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    IMO a large Sebenza is the essence of CRK
    Other models are good and you may end enjoying them more than a Sebenza Vito think that to understand CRK and to start into this univers a large Sebenza is what makes the more sense

14. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    In light of the CRK new model news that just hit the streets, I’d wait until they were available and then go for a new Sebenza 31 if I was in your position. If the knife was going to get very little use, I might even splurge and make it a snazzy one, like with wood inlays and a damascus blade.