Decisions decisions

tinfoil hat timmy

Gold Member
I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on the harder more thinly ground knife?

I'm a guy who's used to being on the fringe. This seems a bit fringe.

I imagine the basic configuration to be sufficient, but I also think I'll have opportunities to grab basic configuration knives during Friday sales....

I've had #badidea s before, but this doesn't seem like a regret kind... Maybe.

So. I'm curious what everyone thinks?

I'm torn! Ahhhh! Help!

I’m definitely getting the thinner harder version. Can’t decide on scales though. Either ebonite, double black, or tri-rag.

I’d really like to get a satin finish with wood handles and a swedge. But I knew it wasn’t meant to be when I had to break out the calculator to add up the price...

Yep to the above. I'm thinking food prep at the camp site, cleaning game, more precision task oriented items. On a standard field outing I carry an axe or hatchet. Batoning is cool, and having a tank on your hip is great, but there is something to be said about a precise instrument when your kit calls for it. For me it's a trifecta with a Hdfk, thin fk2, and an EDC2. I can't think of much else I would need personally.

If I only had one it'd be the standard fk2. Then again, if any of us only had one we probably wouldn't be here. Just get both. By next summer you won't even remember how much ya spent ;)

When you ask an either or question on a hardcore knives & knuckleheads forum, the answer ALWAYS is to get both!
This is what I did with the skinner, one with .01 bte the other standard, the one that used the most was the thin one. The other worked well as trade material though, all Nathan’s product is well worth what he asks for it.;):cool:

I'm searching for a picture of FK with swedge to know what it looks like. Anyone know where to find it?

I think the only milled swedge we’ve seen so far is on the EDC3. Correction: the UF and Shiv have milled swedges, but they have a totally different profile than the FK. Perhaps it will be similar to the EDC3?
MUWrIs1.jpg

Last edited:
For everyone's FYI on the REK-ground swedges: I asked Josh to grind the Field Knife swedges based off the EDC3 milled swedge like what Gus posted above. The swedge on the FK2 in the above picture is a ground swedge, but I'm going to guess it will be very close to what Nathan will offer as a milled swedge on the preorder FK2s, and that picture is likely as close a representative as we're going to find of what a CPK swedge is going to look like on the new run. That is just my guess and opinion, so I'll leave it to Nathan to expound on the milled swedges if he wishes.

My opinion on whether to add a swedge or not: If you want to pierce or slice inverted, like in zip cuts where you're splitting leg hide on deer, they're awesome. If you intend to beat the snot out of the tip by batoning larger material, I'd vote no.

Back