Dedicated keychain knife?

BMCGear

Gold Member
I carry my keys on a suspension clip and I'm wanting to get a dedicated keychain knife. I'm just not sure which to go with. I like the Alox models the best. Would a Cadet be too big? Executive, mini champ, classic? What do you choose and why? Post pics!

I've considered carrying a Classic on my keys, but haven't taken the plunge. A Cadet seems like it would be a little big IMO.

Whether nor not the Alox Cadet would be too big would depend on how many keys you have. If not too many, IMO the Cadet should be alright. It's thin and fairly light.

I know a guy, and seen some others, who carry fairly good-sized SAKs on their keyrings. I'm talking like Super Tinker or Huntsman-sized models. IMO, those are way too heavy, especially if they're attached to car keys.

I personally do not like knives on my keyring. IMO, they feel awkward to use with all the keys there. I personally carry an Executive on my RF pocket.

Jim

I carry a Classic on my keychain and I have to agree with my fellow forum members the Cadet Swiss Army Knife is a little bit to big for a keychain knife.

I carry a Classic on my keychain and I have to agree with my fellow forum members the Cadet Swiss Army Knife is a little bit to big for a keychain knife.

I don't carry a knife on my keychain as keys and knives have entirely different functions and are accessed more more efficient if separated. Also, carried in different pockets it redistributes the weight/bulk. As a former mechanic of years ago, I had been taught that a heavy keychain could cause premature wear on automobile ignition switches, although recent researches (I asked couple of old-timer wrenchers) indicate maybe otherwise. In decades of work on all kinds of vehicles, one guy had seen two such cases, while the other had seen none at all.

Last edited:
I keep a little Boker Toucan on one keychain, and a Leatherman Squirt Ps4 on another. I find the tiny pliers almost used as much (if not more), than a small knife. The toucan is really handy for things like electronics battery compartments, where a blade edge is needed to pry open. A regular thin knife is never good for twisting or prying, but that Boker is a little chunk, and perfect for that kind of thing.

2n8239v.jpg

46505-squirt.jpg

I carried various tools on my key ring until an old timer at work suggested I would get more use from it if I took it off my key ring and put it in my off pocket or watch pocket.

Now I carry my Micra in my LFP with my money clip and my EDC knife in my RFP. Like this...
Untitled by Pinnah, on Flickr

The old timer was right. I use the tool so much more when it's right there in my pocket. It's so much better without having a key ring flopping around too.

If I were forced at gun point to put a tool on my key ring, it would stick with the lightest, smallest thing I could find. But, I'm not giving up my Micra. The shears are just too good and tough.

The classic definitely works. The smaller large size (83mm?) isn't too big, but it's on the edge for me. The Spyderco Ladybug also works great.

The classic is good but the rambler is well worth the slightly thicker package. It adds a very useful Phillips driver and the blade opens opposite the keyring, which is a huge improvement.

The classic is good but the rambler is well worth the slightly thicker package. It adds a very useful Phillips driver and the blade opens opposite the keyring, which is a huge improvement.

:thumbup: to all, and also a bottle opener better than you might think.

Another vote for the Classic. I use it all the time!
[video=youtube;7iB6skSCsnk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iB6skSCsnk[/video]

I've kept my Cold Steel Super Edge on my keys for years. This little knife has always been a stalwart companion and there's just nothing I can fault it on. It's almost fully serrated, and I really like that because it compliments my folders, which are almost always plain edge. Sheath retention's just as good as when I first got it, and the kraton rubber handle wears really well. Made in Japan, too. Can't believe this thing costs less than $20.

I decided to try a Rambler it looks to offer a bit more than the Classic without being much bigger. The Executive looked to be longer than I wanted and the Mini Champ a bit fatter.

For some reason I will probably grab the both of the others to have as well though. :)

I don't carry a knife on my keychain as keys and knives have entirely different functions and are accessed more more efficient if separated....l.

I'm with you totally on that argument. Besides, all those keys with metal teeth beat up on whatever poor knife is forced to hang around with them.

SAK classic is my absolute favorite keychain knife:

Small enough to forget about and not in the way, but always "right there" when you need it. Completely non threatening, you can use to cut the loose thread off of a childs blouse in a completely sterile and liberal church setting and no one bats an eye... Perfect for when you get in the car and you already have your keys in hand and you kid really really wants that new toy you just bought him "right now", but you have to cut the packaging...
The wife really loves her Buck Metro:

Last edited:
I have a Victorinox Signature on my keys, which is basically a Classic SD with pen instead of toothpick. As between the Classic SD > Signature > Rambler > Manager, it all depends on what tools best suit you and how thick you are willing to go. For me, the essentials are blade, scissors and pen.

I'd suggest the Leatherman Micra, no scales to bang up or scratch.

I do not attach to my key ring as I have 3 different sets. Work truck that I retrieve every Monday and return on Friday evening, GMC crew, to work on Monday, retrieve on Friday, then wife's car for weekend use if with her.

I tried moving a classic between the sets with a s-binder setup, but just a hassle. Knifes in pocket, has worked for 48 years, still does.

I'd suggest the Leatherman Micra, no scales to bang up or scratch.

I do not attach to my key ring as I have 3 different sets. Work truck that I retrieve every Monday and return on Friday evening, GMC crew, to work on Monday, retrieve on Friday, then wife's car for weekend use if with her.

I tried moving a classic between the sets with a s-binder setup, but just a hassle. Knifes in pocket, has worked for 48 years, still does.

At about $12-15 for most basic models, ($20 for limited and alox), you could always get 3, one for each key set... ;)

Back