Dedicated slip for each Pattern ?

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to have a nice form fitting leather slip for any traditional knife I carry larger than a medium Stockman (case) .
This revelation came to me after my #78 fell out of a Generic slip (free with purchase)
Lucky it. Was on a carpet floor no problem but disconcerting.

What's the best way to get a molded fit - snug is good I'm never in a rush when deploying a knife .

** what is a good pocket slip / sheath to use that molds well .?

Last edited:
image.jpg What easy rider said, then you can take the stern end of a toothbrush and form fit around said knife inside leather. I believe the process is called boning.
Or you can carry a knife you don’t mind losing... just make sure it’s not stamped with USA on the blade hehe

I have 4 slips in various sizes and choose the one that fits my knife of the day best. The black slip on the right is velvet instead of leather because it helps the knife “stick” in the pocket of pants made of slicker material with no coin pocket. I have a lot more than 4 knives but have found that you don’t really need that many different slips. Ironically enough, my favorite traditional knife slip is one that came with a small Sebenza. It tends to fit the majority of my knives and has proven to be very durable.

I want to second the CRK slip. Those are really nice and ought to fit just about any GEC you'd carry. Also maybe knifeswapper knifeswapper could chime in with his. I've only ever had one, the one that came with the Roundhead, but I think that's the same size as one of his standard sizes, and it fit the Roundhead very snugly. That's kind of a thick knife for a single blade, but it had zero movement in there, so I think a regular GEC single blade would still be fine in one.

What's the best way to get a molded fit - snug is good I'm never in a rush when deploying a knife .
Here's a few that I use that may or may not be snug, depending on the characteristics of the knife. The ones with the velcro or tuck in flap are pretty much good for any size knife that fits. Kind of one size fits all. I'm not in a rush to get my pocket knife out either.
The fabric slip from Beard & Owl works really well with my AG Russell Peanut and other peanut sized knives. I can turn it upside down and they don't fall out, due to their design. There's a number of different sizes too.
k1gd8ob.jpg

That's a long thread - I'll read it through

I can see the flap - or - snap being a nice option - will consider them for sure - I wouldn't mind knife 'naked " in pocket but it wreaks havoc in pocket
between keys , coins , chapstick , flashlight [ when in pocket] . Also as clean as I think I am there is always a bunch of " stuff' in the knives - lots of lint :eek:

I am not a slip fan.
Only time I drop my knives is when I pull out slip and knife slides out of slip.

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to have a nice form fitting leather slip for any traditional knife I carry larger than a medium Stockman (case) .
This revelation came to me after my #78 fell out of a Generic slip (free with purchase)
Lucky it. Was on a carpet floor no problem but disconcerting.

** what is a good pocket slip / sheath to use that molds well .?
Hitch and Timber slips mold excellently! My personal favorite is the Proper Slip and would be a great choice for the #78. With the top cut lower it allows for very easy draw. I think the key to better molding retention is a slip that is sandwiched and sewn up 3 sides verses a folded over and sewn slip. The middle black slip pictured is the Proper Slip.
20180318_104452.jpg

20180318_104556.jpg

I agree , 3 sides stitched would mold better , nice slips - nicer knives ! is that a case / Bose coffin ?

I can see the flap - or - snap being a nice option - will consider them for sure - I wouldn't mind knife 'naked " in pocket but it wreaks havoc in pocket
between keys , coins , chapstick , flashlight [ when in pocket] . Also as clean as I think I am there is always a bunch of " stuff' in the knives - lots of lint :eek:
The biggest reason I use a some sort of pouch is to keep my knife from slipping out of my pocket. It's happened more the once to me. I haven't lost one to slippage since I started using a slip or pouch years and years ago. The added benefit is the protection from other pocket stuff.

I agree , 3 sides stitched would mold better , nice slips - nicer knives ! is that a case / Bose coffin ?
Yes sir. I have an ebony eureka that I intend to get the black proper slip for as well since its the same closed length as the cattle knife.

Pocket conditions probably help mold the leather to the knife, that and constant usage. I just finished a custom traditional passaround that was sent in a slip and its design made it quite snug, almost requiring a little effort. I suppose that depends on the leather used as others have mentioned.

Last edited:
I personally like the thicker smooth veggie tanned leather slips, because they will eventually form to the knife. Or you can speed up the process by form fitting them yourself. The grainy slips or thin leather slips look good, but are much more difficult to get a form fit. Also, you need to start tight to begin with, that is why we make ours in a foldover fashion - put the blade on the seam side and it will break in nicely. There is no such thing as one slip fits all - we have six sizes for the premium leather slips and we could probably do 10 or 12.

Back