Deer Hunting - essential knives

Old Hunter

Gold Member
Our rifle season in eastern NC kicked off this past weekend. I have all my gear packed and in my truck for frequent trips inland to my hunting grounds. Thought a new discussion of your essential Buck Knives would be timely; over the years I have settled in on these knives as my deer hunting essentials. Buck 118 Personal for skinning and rough butchering (deboning) the meat, - I keep it in my backpack. A Buck 110 for a belt knife and backup for skinning/rough butchering (once I soil a knife with guts/intestines I switch knives). Medium or Premium Stockman in my pocket for EDC use (notching tag, opening food packages, etc.). Show yours. OH
Buck-Hunting-knives.jpg

Last edited:
Generally for deer hunting while out in the field I have a 192 vanguard and a 110 on my belt and a 301 in pocket. Then after getting the deer to the house or camp I break out the butcher knives. I might change up a bit and try the 104 compadre d2 ff from skblades to see how it works.

OH, glad you started this discussion as it provokes thought & planning.
Our deer season opens 11-7. I'll be carrying my Buck Trapper md. 334 along with a Buck-lite 426 clip point. I may switch it for the Selector with a saw blade & quartering blade. But these I'm confident will get the job done. Here a Mule deer is larger and I need to quarter him up and hang the quarters for the pack out. So, much more knife work. Hope all has a safe and memorable hunt. DM
20201002_170544.jpg 20200901_122120.jpg

For many years my standard was the twin set, 118 and 103, did everything I needed. As my group of hunting companions changed so did the knives that I took. Some didn't own a knife, some were not right for the job. I've gifted quite a few Buck knives.
As for me this year I took a 118 D2 and left the 'old' two liner set at home. My neighbor, who has not hunted much, nephew and his son went again this year. I took a number of different Buck knives to share and allow them to explore other possibilities...212, 105 and a 192. It was a great time, saw game but didn't not score.
8MO72w1.jpg

4s8teV4.jpg

You old geezers with new Buck Knives going to the deer woods have got me thinking that I ought to pull one of my NIB "stash" knives out and use it before it's too late! I've actually never used a D2 steel blade in the field. Bought this D2 Buck 118 several years ago for a reserve in case I misplaced my 440C version (which I now own four of!). OH
Buck-118-D2-with-scabbard.jpg

You old geezers with new Buck Knives going to the deer woods have got me thinking that I ought to pull one of my NIB "stash" knives out and use it before it's too late! I've actually never used a D2 steel blade in the field. Bought this D2 Buck 118 several years ago for a reserve in case I misplaced my 440C version (which I now own four of!). OH
Buck-118-D2-with-scabbard.jpg
I am starting to use safe queens. Why did we start collecting knives anyway?

I always take a Buck 110 to deer camp, along with usually a smaller pocket knife like a trapper and a 102.
Somehow, I have never really paid attention to the 118? Not sure how I've overlooked it?? Guess what I've been looking at since this thread!

The 501 is always in the pocket and the 484 or 110 slim is clipped outside the pocket.
The 539 open season, 922 redhead pro series, and the 679 w/guthook (Bucklite max) are my favorite skinners. The 113 isn't bad either, just shorter than I care for.
The packlite boning knife with custom handle is my favorite for boning. The 541 would probably be good to just havn't wanted to spend the coin on it.
Thanks to this forum, I had to get a 121 I like it but it just don't do it for me as well. Next is a 105 just for the heck of it. lol
here's some pics from last year, not to sure this year will be a good one yet.
The Open Season series are nice feeling.
20200105_155744.jpg Buck 539.jpg Buck 536.jpg

Im not planning on deer-hunting this year. Its been a long time since I went.

Part of my issue is I don't know where to go, after so long!

I've actually never used a D2 steel blade in the field.
I haven't on big game...but, I want to! Used it a week or so ago to breast dove or a mallard and am taking it to South Dakota next week for the pheasant hunt. I carried another brand(minigrip;)) in D2 and liked the way it held an edge and ease of sharpening.

I think the one in my photo that I'm going to use is a build out, blade left over from your production run.

Preston, I don't know much about my D-2 118. I bought it maybe four, five or six years ago from a fellow in SC, he had it for sale on Ebay. I have noticed that it is tang stamped on the opposite side from the normal Buck tang stamps. Not sure if that makes it a second, an error, or if the factory did that to indicate SFO. I have no idea who had them made by Buck (C&C, SK Blades, etc.) I got the knife new-in-the-box but without any extra information. OH

Back