DEK1

D3V is my first choice, but M390 or equivalent would also be cool

I seem to recall a post from way past when Nathan had stated something about having had worked with CPM-20CV (a cognate of M390 and 204P) and basically it wasn't a steel which he was completely satisfied with.

Mr. Carothers, the floor is now all yours :)

I seem to recall a post from way past when Nathan had stated something about having had worked with CPM-20CV (a cognate of M390 and 204P) and basically it wasn't a steel which he was completely satisfied with.

Mr. Carothers, the floor is now all yours :)

M390 works very well in folding/pocket knives, but even in those uses I manage to damage the apex regularly. I’d prefer D3V to it in a fixed blade unless something in the HT is different.

And I’m pretty sure at this point Nathan will default to D3V in most applications as people seems to expect him to do that.

Last edited:
Yeah I tried it I thought that it was a nice steel for light-duty applications but there's entirely too much stuff in the mix that's not iron for the sort of edge durability that I look for

Yeah I tried it I thought that it was a nice steel for light-duty applications but there's entirely too much stuff in the mix that's not iron for the sort of edge durability that I look for
good point. A lot of steels look great on paper, but after shaping and heat treating, can be a little disappointing in use

good point. A lot of steels look great on paper, but after shaping and heat treating, can be a little disappointing in use

I wouldn’t say M390 is disappointing. It’s just not suitable for some applications. As I said, in a pocket carried folder it’s brilliant. I use it regularly.

I’d never take D3V for pocket use in my climate. I can’t even stop a D3V tang from rusting when it’s uncoated and stored in my house. 4V is getting patches/spotting and it’s just sitting on a shelf. But I’d never call it disappointing.

I’d never take D3V for pocket use in my climate. I can’t even stop a D3V tang from rusting when it’s uncoated and stored in my house.

I'd like to see pictures of this rust:confused:. My D3V throwers have been stuck in a stump out back for a month, and not much in the way of corrosion at all

I'd like to see pictures of this rust:confused:. My D3V throwers have been stuck in a stump out back for a month, and not much in the way of corrosion at all

I sent pics to Nathan and he told me to beat it!

Probably should say here that Nathan’s customer service is super good before anyone takes me seriously and thinks Nathan isn’t amazing.

Here are a couple of pretty tame ones after I wiped the surface rust off and lightly sanded the spots with 600 grit. So this is basically the pitting part I can’t remove myself. This is on a FK.

E0F9168F-BCBD-43DC-9424-EF52FDB0BEAF.jpeg
4BEAA2AC-ACF6-423B-B067-53BF30C09354.jpeg

Most of mine look pretty similar actually. These days I coat every tang before I use the knife, all surfaces under the scales and that does the trick.

Obenaufs LP. Seriously. The wax helps the grip I swear.

Last edited:
I didnt use my hdfk and sold it but while oiled and sitting away it never rusted. However I had sr101 and vg10 rust on me even when oiled. Once i started using the sr101, rust didnt come back. It is strange how steels seem to be more corrosive resistant the more you use them. Well they did in my case

I didnt use my hdfk and sold it but while oiled and sitting away it never rusted. However I had sr101 and vg10 rust on me even when oiled. Once i started using the sr101, rust didnt come back. It is strange how steels seem to be more corrosive resistant the more you use them. Well they did in my case

Did you ever take the handle off?

Mine in D3V rust under the handle, and the more I use them the more they rust under there. Never a problem on the blade.

I carry my D3V EDC in a leather ISP sheath all the time in south Florida and I haven’t had any rust issues.

Did you pull the handle on that one? I know you’ve pulled a bunch of handles to change them.

If so, are you coating the tang?

Maybe whatever comes out of my hand is more corrosive than most. It’s just surface rust, nothing that’s gokng to cause any issues. But it’s there regardless.

Maybe whatever comes out of my hand is more corrosive than most. It’s just surface rust, nothing that’s gokng to cause any issues. But it’s there regardless.
I suppose it’s possible if you have an especially low pH that your knives might rust faster.

I have no idea what the previous circumstances were, but I found quite a bit of rust under the scales on an EDC (D3V) I purchased secondhand. Knocked the majority off with a scotchbrite pad and oiled the tang with some 30w before reassembly.

~Chip

Back