DEK1

I can relate ... it wasn't maybe 6 weeks after getting my EDC2s and Grog finished the leather for them ... I had been wearing one daily for a couple weeks ...

mowing my parents yard and their new neighbors young pitbull came at a full run and lunged ... I had drawn the EDC2 and somehow held on as we rolled off the John Deere ...

and sadly I had to use it on the dog ... there is still a slight stain in the Micarta that didn't scrub out ... but guess it serves as a reminder ...

you never know when or what may happen ... why I carry concealed 99% of the time ...

You, and this, is why we did the EDC3. Our thinking was, if folks are every day carrying this, some might use it as weapon, and a stabbier tip might make sense for some. You are the reason we tweaked the pattern.

it is unbuffed micarta ... and as others said you can scrub blood and other things out and they look great ..

but because of the situation the knife had to be taken for a brief period in case there was an legal action come up ...

the LEO was kind enough (and he knows me) ... to take pictures and allowed me to clean the blade but didn't have time to do the micarta til I got it back ...

and even then it isn't a bad stain just slight discolored ... not sure if you can see it in this picture or not ... but I woudn't be afraid to get micarta it cleans up well ...

the top knife just a bit discolored ... if you look at the pinch point in the scale and just above it ...
View attachment 1073929
JJ, Thanks for the reply, and the photo of it.

It's not the fact that there's a barely noticeable stain. It's the fact that there IS a stain, that has helped me make my decision.

You, and this, is why we did the EDC3. Our thinking was, if folks are every day carrying this, some might use it as weapon, and a stabbier tip might make sense for some. You are the reason we tweaked the pattern.

I can see that ... I hadn't thought much about it that way ... but the swedge would be the perfect change for that use ... it's always nice to hear the reasoning and thoughts behind the designs.

I hated I needed to use it that way ... but it is so comfortable to carry is why I had it with me ... and even without the swedge it was plenty strong and sharp.

JJ, Thanks for the reply, and the photo of it.

It's not the fact that there's a barely noticeable stain. It's the fact that there IS a stain, that has helped me make my decision.

I understand your thoughts ... I think if it had been cleaned up right away there wouldn't be any stain ... but I had to wait nearly two weeks to get it back ... I think that is the only reason it stained at all ...

I have scrubbed blood from micarta many times ... even tree sap ... so it is an exception that it stained I believe ... definately not the rule.

I understand your thoughts ... I think if it had been cleaned up right away there wouldn't be any stain ... but I had to wait nearly two weeks to get it back ... I think that is the only reason it stained at all ...

I have scrubbed blood from micarta many times ... even tree sap ... so it is an exception that it stained I believe ... definately not the rule.
It's that it's actually possible to stain the material.

Frankly, CWD scares me, and it's shown up here in MI. While there are no indications that it's jumped species from anything other than cervids, they said the same thing about BSE/mad cow disease, before they linked it to Creuzfeldt-Jakob disease.

A material that doesn't stain/absorb anything is just for my personal peace of mind.

It's that it's actually possible to stain the material.

Frankly, CWD scares me, and it's shown up here in MI. While there are no indications that it's jumped species from anything other than cervids, they said the same thing about BSE/mad cow disease, before they linked it to Creuzfeldt-Jakob disease.

A material that doesn't stain/absorb anything is just for my personal peace of mind.

I never gave much thought to, or any fear of, CWD until now. We have had a lot of positive reports if my facebook hunters group is anything to go by.

I never gave much thought to, or any fear of, CWD until now. We have had a lot of positive reports if my facebook hunters group is anything to go by.
When you really start reading up onTSEs (Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy), it's seriously concerning.

BSE/Mad cow disease is thought to have jumped from sheep with scrapie.

vCJD (variant Creuzfeldt-Jakob Disease) is linked to eating infected beef. The danger is that it doesn't show up immediately. It shows up years after. Anyone who's spent time in the EU between 1980-1996 is ineligible to donate blood, due to the potential of transmission through blood transfusions.

Thus far, CWD has only infected cervids, but what's worrisome is how it's transmitted, and how easily a sick animal can contaminate the surrounding area.

Blood, urine, fecal matter, etc. have all been tested to show evidence of the prions. Because the prions are misfolded proteins, and not bacteria or viruses, they're not actually living organisms, so you can't 'kill' them, and destroying them has proven difficult.

Soil that has been contaminated with prions, remains contaminated for very long periods. Plants that grow in contaminated soil have been shown to actually suck up the prions along with water and nutrients from the soil. Another cervid eating the contaminated plant can now be infected.

Ridiculously over cautious or not, I'd rather not worry about what a knife's handle material may absorb/retain, when it's used for field dressing.

When you really start reading up onTSEs (Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy), it's seriously concerning.

BSE/Mad cow disease is thought to have jumped from sheep with scrapie.

vCJD (variant Creuzfeldt-Jakob Disease) is linked to eating infected beef. The danger is that it doesn't show up immediately. It shows up years after. Anyone who's spent time in the EU between 1980-1996 is ineligible to donate blood, due to the potential of transmission through blood transfusions.

Thus far, CWD has only infected cervids, but what's worrisome is how it's transmitted, and how easily a sick animal can contaminate the surrounding area.

Blood, urine, fecal matter, etc. have all been tested to show evidence of the prions. Because the prions are misfolded proteins, and not bacteria or viruses, they're not actually living organisms, so you can't 'kill' them, and destroying them has proven difficult.

Soil that has been contaminated with prions, remains contaminated for very long periods. Plants that grow in contaminated soil have been shown to actually suck up the prions along with water and nutrients from the soil. Another cervid eating the contaminated plant can now be infected.

Ridiculously over cautious or not, I'd rather not worry about what a knife's handle material may absorb/retain, when it's used for field dressing.
Bluemax_1, with your concerns being that strong over the spread of CWD and the possibility of contamination in locations or objects and possible infection of your person, have you considered maybe that you don't want to be running a knife inside a deer at all anymore? Not getting on you, and I understand the concern for sure. It's just that if it is on you mind that strongly, it seems the more pressing concern would be whether or not to not find yourself elbow deep in a deer rather than what scales were on the knife?

Edit: For the record, I am not some anti-hunting pusscake. I would happily be elbow deep in one right next to you.

Last edited:

I can't rely on my memory 100%, but I have a feeling that this story might've prompted the DEK1 concept. It was a relatively shocking thing to find out that this handy little knife I designed was used to dispatch a living entity in order to protect another. I vividly remember my visceral reaction when I first read of this canine calamity

Bluemax_1, with your concerns being that strong over the spread of CWD and the possibility of contamination in locations or objects and possible infection of your person, have you considered maybe that you don't want to be running a knife inside a deer at all anymore? Not getting on you, and I understand the concern for sure. It's just that if it is on you mind that strongly, it seems the more pressing concern would be whether or not to not find yourself elbow deep in a deer rather than what scales were on the knife?

Edit: For the record, I am not some anti-hunting pusscake. I would happily be elbow deep in one right next to you.
To not derail the thread any further, I posted the reply in the Random thoughts thread.

autocollant_psychotique_souriant-r208db80a3fe7465c9b74b7d18644799d_v9waf_8byvr_152.jpg

the final, (hopefully) DEK1 proof of concept model is now officially on its way to North Carolina. I will be on edge until I get the thumbs up, (hopefully).

I spent a shit ton of time thinking about all aspects of the handle, and in my opinion, it's the most fully developed and carefully thought out handle I've come up with yet. Even though it's not very big, it feels as natural in my hand as...

the final, (hopefully) DEK1 proof of concept model is now officially on its way to North Carolina. I will be on edge until I get the thumbs up, (hopefully).

I spent a shit ton of time thinking about all aspects of the handle, and in my opinion, it's the most fully developed and carefully thought out handle I've come up with yet. Even though it's not very big, it feels as natural in my hand as...

Thank you cheese and rice !

Back