DEK1

I don’t think they have ever made alternate handle sizes. I really haven’t seen any production/semi-production knives come with with different sizes like t-shirts. It looks like CPK already does such an intensive study on ergonomics where one size fits all.

With that said, I have no idea what kind of new technology they could have these days. If a small were possible, I’d opt for one!

Also, I’ve seen some pretty nifty custom fan-made handles somewhere around here before, but I’d prefer to keep it OEM since I plan to use the crap out of it!

They did have a small and a large for the Comp Cutter, but that was a more locked in design which couldn’t accommodate a wide range of hand sizes.

Last edited:
I don’t think they have ever made alternate handle sizes. I really haven’t seen any production/semi-production knives come with with different sizes like t-shirts. It looks like CPK already does such an intensive study on ergonomics where one size fits all.

With that said, I have no idea what kind of new technology they could have these days. If a small were possible, I’d opt for one!

Also, I’ve seen some pretty nifty custom fan-made handles somewhere around here before, but I’d prefer to keep it OEM since I plan to use the crap out of it!

Busses often come with standard or magnum handles. Also Strider makes different handle slabs for their knives - with frag pattern being the thickest, gunner grip being thinner and standard slabs being the thinnest.
To make things simpler the knife could be sold with standard slabs with thinner ones - being sold separately - to those who will come to a conclusion that standard slabs are too thick for them.
But since it's one size fits all handle on DEK1 - the above is only a theory. I really cannot wait to get the DEK1 and even magnum handle won't stop me! I think my hands will just grow up to this blade if needed. :D

One of the things that we found when we started doing ergonomic studies and actual practical use testing was that sometimes handles that feel the best when you're just gripping it and holding it in the air don't always work the best when you put it to work. We found that a person's hand has a grip range where your forearm strength is strongest that leads to less fatigue in use that actually feels a little bit large when you're just holding it. But once you use the ergonomic models back-to-back the larger handle yields longer use with less fatigue for most people.

I recognize that people have different sized hands and that people with smaller hands are going to find these somewhat oversized handles larger than they think they should be using, but most people are going to be well served with handles with a larger circumference than frequently found on many knives.

There are exceptions such as small knives used for intricate work where maximizing dexterity is more important than fatigue issues and knives carried EDC where one compromises on the grip for compact carry. The DEK1 will have a somewhat smaller handle than other similar knives such as the Field Knife because it is intended to be carried EDC and a compact carry requirement dictates a more compact handle.

Just know that our team here, me, Jo, Mark, Marion, and Ben all have a wide range of hand sizes and shapes and we attempt to accommodate everybody, within the scope of a concept. We have a passion for design and for knife use and we attempt to dial in our handles for real world use. We put more time in the handle geometry than anything else.

Last edited:
One of the things that we found when we started doing ergonomic studies and actual practical use testing was that sometimes handles that feel the best when you're just gripping it and holding it in the air don't always work the best when you put it to work. We found that a person's hand has a grip range where your forearm strength is strongest that leads to less fatigue in use that actually feels a little bit large when you're just holding it. But once you use the ergonomic models back-to-back the larger handle yields longer use with less fatigue for most people.

I definitely found that to be true with the HDFK. Where at first the handle seemed a little too big to me I found that in use it works great for everything from chopping to stripping bark.

Me think you pay attention none too good.......

To be fair my clever clogs friend, Mr. Xtian from down-under was specifically referring to the offering of DEK1 in AEB-L for pre-orders. The slabs of AEB-L marked for DEK1 which Nathan showed does not necessarily mean that he will be offering that steel for a poetical preorder run for the DEK12 pattern.

Remember the UFs in AEB-L? They sold on here for 3-odd-hundred and then they changed hands in the grey market for almost twice as much. I think that is what our young friend was asking for, i.e, easier access to that option other than the trampling during the limited Fridays' sales.

But then again, I'm an older cantankerous fella and and probably an arschloch :p

View attachment 1266389

We have about settled on geometry that looks like this. It fits hands medium to large, accommodates the various grips that we want, and works well as both a weapon and a cutting tool for mid size everyday carry

This new "close to finalized" DEK1 design looks quite promising! I'm looking forward to it. :)

I can also visualize a "down the road" tweaked out version of this pattern... Tumble and acid washed with a machined swedge and a hand ground sharpen tip... "Grind the back of the tip 30 DPS to make the point double edged (tip cuts in both directions)" ;)

Last edited:
To be fair my clever clogs friend, Mr. Xtian from down-under was specifically referring to the offering of DEK1 in AEB-L for pre-orders. The slabs of AEB-L marked for DEK1 which Nathan showed does not necessarily mean that he will be offering that steel for a poetical preorder run for the DEK12 pattern.

Remember the UFs in AEB-L? They sold on here for 3-odd-hundred and then they changed hands in the grey market for almost twice as much. I think that is what our young friend was asking for, i.e, easier access to that option other than the trampling during the limited Fridays' sales.

But then again, I'm an older cantankerous fella and and probably an arschloch :p
Uhhh... so there's going to be a 12" version that we have to... make up some rhymes for, to preorder?

Matt is correct :p

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but once I have a DEK1 for testing I do have a strong feeling that I'm going to want to design another version characterized by a Lum inspired blade shape. It'll lean a little more toward the D in DEK, and would likely become DEK2

Nathan if you end up doing a pre-order you should consider offering AEBL ;)

Matt is correct :p
To be fair, I was under the impression that aeb-l was going to be the gold standard for this project. Not that I'm not hoping for d3v. However for it's intended use, either would do fine.

Back