DEK1

Received my preorder yesterday
s1lKTGm.jpg

WIeG0bC.jpg

buddy of mine just dropped off some steel and some purpleheart 10 minutes ago. Just enough to start putting together the DEK2 and DEK3 prototypes...
he got all excited about making some knives, then realized he never would, so he passed it on to me! Looking forward to getting started :)

Got the preorder last week (I think? time all runs together now). The blade finish reminds me of my first CPKs-the og field knife and LC. Hard to capture in a photo, but I'm really enjoying it. Grateful, as always, for the whole CPK team.

Hey Nathan just wondering what the exact configuration is on this knife? is it double canvas black buffed with the standard blade and black anodized fasteners in stainless or titanium?

I'm sorry, I've lost track. If you reference a specific post number I could tell you.

I have to say, when I first got it I didn't think it would be for me. After a day of handling it I'm starting to change my mind... I usually lean towards a more field/wilderness style knife, more belly and more swell in the rear of the handle. But this thing is actually really comfortable and has a "fast" nimble feeling. I still haven't cut anything with it but can tell it will be a mean slicer.

Does anyone use their DEK in an outdoor/ camp knife setting? What are your thoughts? Would you rather have FK2?

I would say it depends.
If you want to do food preparation and ,,normal,, cutting, it will do fine, and it is a bit lighter.
But, the handle is very different, I was doing head to head comparison between DEK1 and FK2 with feather stick making, and FK2 is more comfortable long term. And the handle resist twisting a bit bit better.
And thicker stock makes batoning easier. But DEK1 can do it too.

I would say it depends.
If you want to do food preparation and ,,normal,, cutting, it will do fine, and it is a bit lighter.
But, the handle is very different, I was doing head to head comparison between DEK1 and FK2 with feather stick making, and FK2 is more comfortable long term. And the handle resist twisting a bit bit better.
And thicker stock makes batoning easier. But DEK1 can do it too.
Yup.

My favorite CPK (especially for backpacking/backwoods use) is the MC, as I'm used to using large camp knives for most chores.

That said, I always have a folder as well, both as a backup that's always on me (where I don't necessarily have the MC on me all the time), and is always within reach for mundane/light tasks, as well as anything that might specifically benefit from a smaller more maneuverable blade.

With that type of usage in mind, the DEK1 makes a great replacement for the folder. It's still small/light/unobstrusive enough that there are hardly any downsides vs a folder, while it's a whole lot stronger than any folder, and I have the MC for heavier duty/bushcraft/woodworking type tasks.

This is a great looking knife. It's just one of those knives that you can't take a bad picture of. I immediately regretted selling my first one, so here we are again.

1BXrP3j.jpg

sNHyFRy.jpg

UIEP2Dz.jpg

VgnSNcU.jpg

OvuATR6.jpg

along with my prototype, (which I'm currently in the process of hand finishing) the DEK1 I use/carry every day is the twin to yours. Nate set aside 3 production versions for me and sent 2 of them my way and one to Joe Paranee. Mrs. Arnold owns one of them, mine is burlap. My only regret is that I didn't score more. I console myself with conceptualizing DEK2

Back