DEK1

I can't wait to see it. I haven't heard anything about mine yet. What kind of wood are you hoping for?

Just out of curiosity, what options did you choose? Tommy hasn't made his choices public either but having known him for a while, he usually goes for multiples loaded with options. However, Tommy's claim is placed on the first page post # 20 (there are several posts on the first page with identical post numbers as the BF.com system stacks up concurrent posts on top of each other!) and when I looked up yours, you are on the 6th page post # 118. I think that it may be a while longer but I also think that once CPK gets around to the fancier option DEK1s, they will also be fulfilled rather quickly but toward the end of the pre-order's estimated time scale.

Just out of curiosity, what options did you choose? Tommy hasn't made his choices public either but having known him for a while, he usually goes for multiples loaded with options. However, Tommy's claim is placed on the first page post # 20 (there are several posts on the first page with identical post numbers as the BF.com system stacks up concurrent posts on top of each other!) and when I looked up yours, you are on the 6th page post # 118. I think that it may be a while longer but I also think that once CPK gets around to the fancier option DEK1s, they will also be fulfilled rather quickly but toward the end of the pre-order's estimated time scale.

I ordered mine with the swedge and penetrator tips. And one of them with wood.

Nathan, have you decided on the orientation of the satin grind on those DEK1s. IIRC, it was mentioned probably perpendicular to the edge just like the DEFs but it'll be cool to see some along the edge like the UFs with the acid washed flats, but then again I'm being biased ;)

I expect to be done shipping by summer

Mat is right, I have No Satin DEK's ordered, and only 1 with a Swedge

Nathan, have you decided on the orientation of the satin grind on those DEK1s. IIRC, it was mentioned probably perpendicular to the edge just like the DEFs but it'll be cool to see some along the edge like the UFs with the acid washed flats, but then again I'm being biased ;)

I tend to do them lengthwise, Mark tends to do them perpendicular. Since I'm tied up with sword production these are going to be perpendicular.

Anyone know the HRC for AEBL? It feels “soft” when sharpening versus the 3V.

HRC 61. It's not soft, it's just low in carbide. Hard 3V makes other stuff feel soft on the stone in comparison. I've experienced this myself and ran over to the hardness tester. Those super hard vanadium carbides are harder than the stone and just sail across it.

I l
HRC 61. It's not soft, it's just low in carbide. Hard 3V makes other stuff feel soft on the stone in comparison. I've experienced this myself and ran over to the hardness tester. Those super hard vanadium carbides are harder than the stone and just sail across it.
I liked it but to be honest I don’t really know what it means as far low in carbide vs super hard vandium

I l

I liked it but to be honest I don’t really know what it means as far low in carbide vs super hard vandium

Two knives...
Delta 3V at HRC 60.5
AEBL at HRC 61

The AEBL has a low carbide volume fraction.

The 3V contains a significant amount of carbide. And not just any carbide. Vanadium carbide, which is one of the hardest carbides there is.

So even though the AEBL is just as hard, it lacks the tiny super hard carbides of 3V. Those carbides prevent the sharpening stone from biting into the 3V as well, making it feel harder on the stone. The vanadium carbide in the 3V is actually harder than the sharpening stone. The stone can't cut them so they tend to skate.

Two knives...
Delta 3V at HRC 60.5
AEBL at HRC 61

The AEBL has a low carbide volume fraction.

The 3V contains a significant amount of carbide. And not just any carbide. Vanadium carbide, which is one of the hardest carbides there is.

So even though the AEBL is just as hard, it lacks the tiny super hard carbides of 3V. Those carbides prevent the sharpening stone from biting into the 3V as well, making it feel harder on the stone. The vanadium carbide in the 3V is actually harder than the sharpening stone. The stone can't cut them so they tend to skate.
I currently have shapton glass 320/1000/4000, what stones are you using? I was thinking of getting a dmt or atoma 600 grit to touch of the dek as needed.

Back