DEK2

Seeing how Nathan has praised Magnacut in the recent video, really hoping it will be offered as an option for this knife!
3V is significantly tougher than Magnacut, so the spec for that steel, for this knife remains unchanged. DEK2 is meant to be an attainable, affordable, easy to maintain knife for the masses. AEB-L would also be an appropriate choice, as it is very tough- although edge holding isn't quite as good at a reasonable hardness

DEK3 was designed for Elmax originally, but will definitely get the Magnacut spec. If there are future runs of DEK1s, I would endorse changing the spec to Magnacut for them going forward as well

3V is significantly tougher than Magnacut, so the spec for that steel, for this knife remains unchanged. DEK2 is meant to be an attainable, affordable, easy to maintain knife for the masses. AEB-L would also be an appropriate choice, as it is very tough- although edge holding isn't quite as good at a reasonable hardness

DEK3 was designed for Elmax originally, but will definitely get the Magnacut spec. If there are future runs of DEK1s, I would endorse changing the spec to Magnacut for them going forward as well
Is Aebl significantly tougher than Magnacut, which supposedly have similar toughness to 4V?

Meh, I've seen some pretty weird numbers for AEBL.

You all do realize that unhardened mild steel is "tougher" than any of them, right? But it wouldn't make a very durable knife. We're looking for durability, which can be difficult to quantify with a hard number so we have to do comparative testing instead. In my use of AEBL, I have not found it to be in the same league as 3V.

I can see some potential continued use for AEBL in knives for jar heads and bushcrafters, but a stainless 4V is going to be impossible to pass up.

Meh, I've seen some pretty weird numbers for AEBL.

You all do realize that unhardened mild steel is "tougher" than any of them, right? But it wouldn't make a very durable knife. We're looking for durability, which can be difficult to quantify with a hard number so we have to do comparative testing instead. In my use of AEBL, I have not found it to be in the same league as 3V.

I can see some potential continued use for AEBL in knives for jar heads and bushcrafters, but a stainless 4V is going to be impossible to pass up.
that's so weird. AEBL scores so much higher in toughness at a desirable hardness, from what I've seen, than most other stainless steel that it's notable to the point of being odd

anyway, I still like 3V for DEK2 but obviously that's just my preference based on what I know, which is a bare fraction of what you know- and it's a call that only one of us is qualified to make!

the first melt was only 3000 pounds and from what I've heard, it's all gone. I would expect the next melt to be in the 10 000 pound range, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of it were consumed by production companies- this steel is a dream come true for them

the first melt was only 3000 pounds and from what I've heard, it's all gone. I would expect the next melt to be in the 10 000 pound range, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of it were consumed by production companies- this steel is a dream come true for them
And with Larrin doing all the groundwork on the heat treat, I'd hope/assume most knifemakers/manufacturers won't screw it up with soft or underperforming heat treats like many do with 3V, S35VN and other steels.

Back