DEK3

6’4” here, 250+ pds (depending on season), 3XL motorcycle gloves. I like how the DEK1 feels, i have 2:

i-Mkm78tG-XL.jpg

i-4qrBh85-XL.jpg

i-Cf6sh96-XL.jpg
I guess I'm not so big after all. :)

Is anyone concerned about how thin the 3 would feel in the hand?

This will be my first knife from Them.....

I'm not partial to the looks of any of them, so I'm wondering if thoughs with bigger hands....... Is .125" blade thickness going to be too small for me?

How do you like the dek1's thickness?

Thank you.
I thought about this and don't think the difference is significant but you can always experiment with some DIY spacers to see if it helps.

Anyone going through the same hesitation on whether or not to pre-order with the optional sharpened tip?

I wish we had pictures of the options. My imagination is not as good as it once was.
No hesitation here, I'm keeping the intriguing default profile, not sharpened. I think the four views that Nathan put in the preorder thread were pretty clear. I'm sure I could make one (I won't), as he did all but print it on graph paper.

Richard338 Richard338 I know what your saying, although your imagination using the renderings must be much more acute as compared to mine.

I find it difficult not to sharpen the swedge, but the tip? I fear it will break up the design flow. Then again, I do appreciate the double edged UF. However, the Shiv has a significant tip swedge and I cannot imagine it double edged.... although it would be a pretty amazing Shiv if the back tip was sharpened.

Ah. So many choices, so little money.

I can imagine the tip and swedge sharpened. I’m not sure exactly how it will look. I do know that when they finally start getting delivered and people post pics of the full dagger grind Dek3. I will be glad I have one on order.

Richard338 Richard338 I know what your saying, although your imagination using the renderings must be much more acute as compared to mine.

I find it difficult not to sharpen the swedge, but the tip? I fear it will break up the design flow. Then again, I do appreciate the double edged UF. However, the Shiv has a significant tip swedge and I cannot imagine it double edged.... although it would be a pretty amazing Shiv if the back tip was sharpened.

Ah. So many choices, so little money.
Ha yes, I agree that sharpening the swedge is almost a no-brainer, but I decided against this time.

couple guys asked me via dm about the flat section between the point and top edge- this is a better place to ask this type of question. Instead of answering the same question over and over, let me tell you some of the reasons why I designed it that way as opposed to having it sharp;
1- it provides extra support for the point which is important since the thickness dimension is minimized in order to decrease overall weight and increase cutting efficiency
2- it provides a platform on the blade where you can put a finger, which can be useful for maintaining the edge, or fine work
3- it provides a visual index in a slashing cut
4- it provides leverage in a thrust cut, driving the primary edge down until the top edge is engaged, whereupon the cut can be enlarged through levering the blade up and/or down

it's been awhile since I designed this knife and I know there are some other reasons I had in mind for the edge layout. That being said, if Nathan is offering you options then you decide what is best for you and order what you want. If you want nasty, double edgeness then go for it, just realize that what you are gaining in nastiness you are giving up in utility

couple guys asked me via dm about the flat section between the point and top edge- this is a better place to ask this type of question. Instead of answering the same question over and over, let me tell you some of the reasons why I designed it that way as opposed to having it sharp;
1- it provides extra support for the point which is important since the thickness dimension is minimized in order to decrease overall weight and increase cutting efficiency
2- it provides a platform on the blade where you can put a finger, which can be useful for maintaining the edge, or fine work
3- it provides a visual index in a slashing cut
4- it provides leverage in a thrust cut, driving the primary edge down until the top edge is engaged, whereupon the cut can be enlarged through levering the blade up and/or down

it's been awhile since I designed this knife and I know there are some other reasons I had in mind for the edge layout. That being said, if Nathan is offering you options then you decide what is best for you and order what you want. If you want nasty, double edgeness then go for it, just realize that what you are gaining in nastiness you are giving up in utility
I like reason #4.
I already put my faith in the designer and went with the stock grind.

I apologize because I think that I read the answer to this somewhere but I can’t find it now. What was the estimate for these being available on the regular sales? I REALLY wanted to get in on the pre-order but was only really looking at a plain Jane one so it didn’t make much sense to jump in (not to mention that the wife might have murdered me in my sleep for buying another knife).

I apologize because I think that I read the answer to this somewhere but I can’t find it now. What was the estimate for these being available on the regular sales? I REALLY wanted to get in on the pre-order but was only really looking at a plain Jane one so it didn’t make much sense to jump in (not to mention that the wife might have murdered me in my sleep for buying another knife).

FRom what I read a while back, it may be 12-18 months

I do believe "Friday Sale" versions (aka stock or plain jane) will likely be available sooner.

Scratch that - Nathan has spoken otherwise.

Last edited:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but due to the size and complexity of the pre-order, there is not going to be a lot of additional capacity for Friday sale models. There will be some, but it will be limited.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but due to the size and complexity of the pre-order, there is not going to be a lot of additional capacity for Friday sale models. There will be some, but it will be limited.
NOOOOOO!!! Oh well. I have a pre-production DEK1 so it isn’t as though I need a 3. #firstworldissues. Thank you for the input Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , even if it’s bad news.

Back