DEK3

If there is a bevel on the spine but it isn't actually sharpened does it still count as double edge? Thickness before sharpening would be pretty thin, so it might still kinda cut a little.
That’s a good question. In California double edged knives are not allowed to be carried concealed as they are considered dirk or dagger. On the other hand many fixed blades could be considered a dagger or dirk, so who knows, but if the spine is thin enough to cut it will definitely make it more difficult to convince anyone it is not a double edged knife. California knife carry laws are pretty strict.

That’s a good question. In California double edged knives are not allowed to be carried concealed as they are considered dirk or dagger. On the other hand many fixed blades could be considered a dagger or dirk, so who knows, but if the spine is thin enough to cut it will definitely make it more difficult to convince anyone it is not a double edged knife. California knife carry laws are pretty strict.
In California you can't legally concealed carry any fixed blade (unless you can make the argument it can't really hurt anyone. Like that case with the bread knife). But you can open carry as long as it's in a sheath hanging from your belt.

I am not as familiar with Cali knife laws but here in Oregon, possession of any kind of knife by a non-felon is allowed. Where it gets tricky is where it involves whether or not it can be articulated as being a concealed weapon or not and even then, it's all based on case law for the most part. It comes down to this: If you aren't a dirt bag, you have nothing to worry over. If a LEO can establish nefarious intent on your part, well then, you should start to worry.

That all said, there are an amazing number of LEOs here that have very little knowledge of Oregon's knife laws (might be the case in other states as well). For example, I sat on a Grand Jury last summer and had to keep my trap buttoned up when a detective (who should know better) proceeded to tell us that the knife that a yet-to-be-convicted dirtbag had on his person was an illegal and prohibited weapon. It was some sort of cheap Gerber lockback so his assertion was 100% false and would still have been 100% false even if it was a switchblade or Balisong. After the detective left, I set the record straight with the other jurors and we had the assistant DA toss the weapons charge :rolleyes: (still indicted the guy on other crap - he was 100% a dirtbag).

I will ask a stupid question

10” means ten inches blade length? Overall handle plus blade?

Nathan says tactical santoku, so that confuses me a bit. I’d love a new kitchen knife, but I’m not sure if I’m understanding the idea.

Also, if it’s somewhat usable as a kitchen knife and it’s long enough, the swedge may cut into your free hand if you’re cutting something semi hard as cheese and using your sister spare hand to drive the cut?

Cheers!

Hey Nathan, which type of steel would you prefer for a DEK3 with sharpened top edge, modified D3V or Magnacut?

@Nathan the Machinist
Great question, thinking about this myself. At 60 HRC, 3V is tougher than Magncut is at 62, but that starts to drop when made harder, as is planned here.
It will be interesting to hear what "modified D3V" is all about. Omicron 3V?
I don't need better corrosion resistance than 3V, so this decision will be about the anticipated other properties for me...

For those who didn't check the other thread

DEK3 Specs:
10" hollow grind. Ground to tangent.
Delta 3V, 61.5 HRC, (.125" thick at ricasso (1/8") (Magnacut optional)
Total length 9.125
Blade length 4.5
Weight 4.8 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Titanium fasteners
Hidden lanyard
Fiendishly sharp

Thoughts?

Seems like a thinner hollow ground Santoku-like DEK1.

Not that I need another knife, but what is something like the DEK3 used for? I have a Basic 5" Field Knife and I'm just looking for a reason to buy one in Magnacut...

Might sound lame but I would most likely use it for cooking while camping.

Or to slay my enemies.

I feel like it'd excel at both.
I agree, cooking, and slashing your enemies throat. Or maybe I should say an abdominal ventilation device. 😁

Last edited:
For those who didn't check the other thread

DEK3 Specs:
10" hollow grind. Ground to tangent.
Delta 3V, 61.5 HRC, (.125" thick at ricasso (1/8") (Magnacut optional)
Total length 9.125
Blade length 4.5
Weight 4.8 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Titanium fasteners
Hidden lanyard
Fiendishly sharp

Thoughts?

Seems like a thinner hollow ground Santoku-like DEK1.
I'm on the fence on the DEK3. I'm trying to see how much of an improvement it would be over my much-loved FK1. Roughly .05" thinner blade, slightly shorter overall, but 3 oz (40% or so?) lighter. The DEK handle has never done that much for me - I can take it or leave it. Decisions, decisions....

FK1 Specs:
Tested 62 HRC, .188” thick at ricasso
Total length 9.75”
Blade length 4.625”
Weight 8.0 oz

Is anyone concerned about how thin the 3 would feel in the hand?

This will be my first knife from Them.....

I'm not partial to the looks of any of them, so I'm wondering if thoughs with bigger hands....... Is .125" blade thickness going to be too small for me?

How do you like the dek1's thickness?
Probably, I'm safest ordering the beefy 2, but the dek3 is the most interesting of the three knives

Thank you.

Last edited:
Back