1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

delica 4 vs mini grip (EDC)?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by John Vicino, Feb 12, 2019.

1. delica4

57.9%
  2. mini grip

42.1%
  1. smilk327

smilk327

Apr 14, 2016
    The delica does have better grip area but the vg10 is a let down for me. If you get a new s30v one then mini grip hands down over standard delica. Personally I love the mini grip with the hole in it. You get Spyderco flickability and axis lock fidgetting in one package. In the end They are both great. If it’s a delica with upgraded steel like zip-189 then delica other wise base model vs base model mini grip.

2. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    While I consider myself more of a Spyderco fan(I have more of them than any other brand), I voted for the mini Griptilian. It’s the ultimate size for carry, and it’s as comfortable in hand as it is capable. Haven’t found a modern blade to take mine out of commission yet.

[​IMG]

This one is probably my most carried knife of all, it’s currently clipped to my right pocket as I type this out.

Sergeua and sbh06 like this.
  3. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    The 555-1 Mini Grip is awesome in the CPM 20CV and G-10. The blade shape is just about perfect in my book.

smilk327 likes this.
  4. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Tough call as they're both great EDC knives. I'd choose the Delica between those two but if you gave me the option of Delica vs. Bugout I'd choose the Bugout.

5. cabfrank

cabfrank

Jun 21, 2010
    I had a Mini Grip and sold it. I don't have a Delica, but I do have and love the Salt 1, which is quite similar, so my vote would be Delica.

jmh33 likes this.
  6. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Hard for virtually any knife to beat out the Delica.

Dallas T, Grateful and jmh33 like this.
  7. KCDR

KCDR Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 19, 2019
    try this:carry both for one day. The one you instinctively go to first is the one you carry from that point on.

sailfish likes this.
  8. smilk327

smilk327

Apr 14, 2016
    Very true I did forget about the 20cv variants. Those are all awesome.

kickert likes this.
  9. kickert

kickert

Jan 1, 2019
    Based on the comments, I am guessing it is going to come down to which one feels better in your hand. I say head to your local knife shop, handle them both, then go from there!

10. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    The mini grip is too small for me, and IMO, expensive for what you get.

sailfish and jmh33 like this.
  11. IL67Bp

IL67Bp

Jan 3, 2019
    I bought a delica in stainless and loved it at first (looks) but after carrying it and going to use it it's just too stiff even after days of opening and closing it. It still is a great looking knife and the blade was extra sharp. I like the ergos especially the jimping for thumb behind spider hole but I still would prefer my wife's mini grip to carry and use daily. Axis lock is hard to beat. I'm not a huge fan of back locks. My delica is now out of my daily rotation

12. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I just find flat scales much more pocket friendly then rounded scales. But i've never owned a mini grip before and I'm asuming its less pocket friendly.

I do have to say the mini grip imho is a slightly more modern and advanced knife then a delica. But at the same time it's alot more expensive then a Delica.

13. kickert

kickert

Jan 1, 2019
    I actually find the bi-directional FRN handles from Spyderco to be rougher on my pockets than the griptillian / mini-grip design. I do usually run some sandpaper between my clip and scales on my grips and that also really helps -- not sure the same would be helpful on the delica since it actually grabs further up than where the clip actually makes contact.

14. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    You mean the back lock is too strong for you to easily disengage the blade? If so, easy fix: just bend the lock bar SLIGHTLY with two pairs of pliers.

15. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    What I meant by pocket friendly is how much room they are taking up. My knives with round handles feel alot more bulky to me. I also tend to put my knifes in my back pocket so its nice to have a flat handle as I don't notice it as much when I sit down.

16. IL67Bp

IL67Bp

Jan 3, 2019
    Sorry didn't explain that well enough. The back lock is ok. It's the actual blade action. It is not even close to being flickable . Kind of needs to be rolled out. Compared to my pm2 it's night and day.

17. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016

Please don't bend your lockbars

sailfish likes this.
  18. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    Not anymore it isn't. At least up here.

I double checked and at our favourite online retailer from Vancouver, there is a 23 dollar difference. I have no idea as to what the difference is in the States but it's probably around the same. However, since I don't have a Delica and abhor lock backs, I wholeheartedly recommend the mini grip.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  19. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    There's only one answer for me.

[​IMG]

Sergeua likes this.
  20. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    mini-grip with the hollow-ground sheepsfoot is one of the EDC knives I've ever used. I never really got along well with the delica handle. However, I have 3 native 5's now instead of a mini-grip as it slightly edges the mini-grip out for hand comfort. But, I like the mini-grip's action and blade better.