Delica 4: Why buy saber ground over full flat grind?

I am curious to know why someone would choose to buy a PE saber ground Delica 4 over a PE full flat ground Delica 4. I am asking because I simply don't know, not because I am knocking saber ground, because I have never even handled a saber ground knife.

I have been told FFG is a much better slicer for things like cardboard... but how much better? Are there any advantages that a saber grind holds over a FFG? Aside from the obvious.... strength of the spine.

I really want to pickup a PE FRN Delica 4 with the saber grind, as I can get one for a really good price right now. But I want to make sure the grind is something I will find useful.

Thanks!

The price right now. The only Delica with a FFG is the G-10 model (for now until the new FRN FFG Delica/Endura is avail. ) which is more expensive than the standard FRN/Saber grind Delica.

I would get a FFG every time if I could, if the prices were relatively similar. They do cut a lot smoother.

The saber grind on the D4 isn't terrible, though, especially considering the blade thickness is only 2.5mm anyway.

Buy all the saber grind models you can find. Please. Sal said once they are gone, the flat ground blade models will be phased in. So the sooner the sabers are gone the sooner the flat ground models will ship. So buy 'em up! :D Get the saber grinds out of the pipeline. That was the only thing wrong with the fourth gen enduras and delicas in my opinion, those clunky blades. Full flat should be just the trick. So get those clunkers off the market. Buy BUY BUY!!! :cool:

FFG is better for slicing, but I like the saber ground Delicas and Enduras for edc use. I've never had any problems w/ my FFG Spydercos but I have the perception that the saber ground blade is stronger and I feel more confident using it for harder edc chores.

The only Delica with a FFG is the G-10 model (for now until the new FRN FFG Delica/Endura is avail. )..

Says who? :D

delica2.jpg

delica1.jpg

I have a G10 D4 and I'm not sure I like the FFG blade as much as the saber. I think it's probably perception but it just makes me feel like the blade is way more delicate.
This doesn't make much since considering I carried a D3 until the beginning of this month and never felt the tip was too thin so I'm saying it's perception.

I'll probably snag a couple of the newer FFG Delica's when they hit stores but I think I'll continue to EDC my saber ground Delica.

As far Harry's comment about getting them off the market, if I had the extra funds I certainly would. I've done my part though. 8 D4's this month. :)

IMO - Price point and availability. As bigmo66 pointed out, they are available from some places, but they can be tough to find for some (I only remember seeing the G-10 versions myself). The saber grind E/D are the staple tools from Spyderco, they have been the go-to blades for about 30 years now (that says a lot in and of itself.
I may be incorrect in the following assertion, but I think that the saber grind offers substantial torsion & edge impact strength over a FFG of the same size. I would put it to the test, but I have no FFG Enduras or Delicas.

Sal said once they are gone, the flat ground blade models will be phased in.

On Nutnfancy's Shot Show video, Sal said the market would ultimately determine which one was produced. He seemed to indicate a fondness for he sabre grind, but noted that consumers were wanting the FFG.

Absolutely nothing "wrong" with the sabre grind and it's certainly beefier for those tasks beyond slicing. They also look nice, but for those that demand or need really good slicers it's hard to beat FFG. Good thing these are priced at the "Get 'em both" point. :thumbup:

People are just crazy about the full flat grind nowadays it seems.

It doesn't really matter that much except for slicing/"food preparation" (which I for the life of me can't understand why people would use a folding knife for instead of a kitchen knife, it just perplexes me) or if you use the knife for cutting wood, which you usually use a bushcraft knife for anyway. For cutting rope, string, fabric, packages etc., a hollow or flat saber grind is just as good as a FFG and the blade is of course stronger too.

I'm not saying that changing the Delicas and Enduras to FFG is a bad idea, (I don't think it is), but some people think FFG is just completely superior to sabre grind in all aspects, which is annoying.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

So what kind of cutting chores would find you reaching for your stronger SG Delica over a FFG blade?

It doesn't really matter that much except for slicing/"food preparation" (which I for the life of me can't understand why people would use a folding knife for instead of a kitchen knife, it just perplexes me)

Thank you!!!! I thought I was alone here lol I have never understood why or how someone could use their nice Spydie for food prep. First of all the thought of carrying something around in your pocket picking up lint and whatever else, and then using it for food prep is to me.... unsanitary. I mean, how dirty is all the stuff you are cutting with your knife on a daily basis. Secondly, there are just too many cracks and crevisses for liquids and solids from food prep to hide in a folder. You can't get it all by just rinsing it. Not to mention the stink that would hide in the knife if you used it to cut onions!!

It's just a million times easier to use a nice kitchen knife for the job.

I could go on.... and don't even get my started on people cleaning their fingernails with their $100 Spydie <shiver> lol :D

Thanks for the info so far guys.

So what kind of cutting chores would find you reaching for your stronger SG Delica over a FFG blade?

Well, the blade of a FFG knife is thinner and therefore less durable, so I'd pick a sabre ground blade anytime when I don't need a FFG blade, which is most tasks except for slicing and cutting wood. For cutting rope it's great for an example, so if I'm sailing, diving or climbing, I'd rather have a saber ground blade.

First time I cut up a box with my Sabre ground White Endura 4, I noticed "alot" of drag. I love the knife, but being my only Sabre ground blade. I sure realized real fast It will also be my last. No offense Guys. Thats just me.

FFG is better for slicing, but I like the saber ground Delicas and Enduras for edc use. I've never had any problems w/ my FFG Spydercos but I have the perception that the saber ground blade is stronger and I feel more confident using it for harder edc chores.

Agree. Knife people are not immune to fashions and PE FFG is the rage right now. Unless you're slicing cheese or apples, I doubt you'd find FFG better than the saber grind.

Hi Harry,

Replacement is not a question at this point. We'll release the FFG versions soon and watch the market. We work for the market.

Mumbles,

In the knife world, you will find the word "better" posted often. Often, as education finds its way into the question, the word 'better" seems to become less important.

All steels, grinds and grips were created because there was a need for the particular properties available from that steel, grind or grip. The thought that has worked for me for many years is; "all good, just different".

In the case of the sabre / FFG. Thinner knives slice better, thicker knives take more abuse, but do not pass though matrerial as easily as a thinner blade. There is always a trade off.

We added some radius to the tips of the End /del's becasue our customers were breaking tips, but we still wanted a sharp tip for piercing. Many of our knives are in the field for 20+ years and the thicker saber has served us well.

The Stretch was an early entry into the FRN everyday work knife with a full flat grind.

Most of our knives are used as reliable tough every day carry pieces. We can also make FFG thicker to gain strength. There are a number of FFG Tough knives out there. The comparison will be interesting.

sal

Back