Delica 4 ZDP 189

so I picked up a Delica in zdp 189 ,a couple questions for any one who has a Delica as this is my first 1 ,I do have 2 para 3s and and a para 2 and really like them ,first off is the spidey hole is sharp on the edges of the hole ,my para 3 and 4 aren’t,and are they always this stiff to open ? Not real Flickable like a para ,it was 110 bucks due to the steel ,seems like a lot less quality than the para ,with not much difference in price ,is this the true of all th imported knifes? Thanks

Last edited:
The Delica is a backlock these knives are typically not flickable, at least not without breaking it in.

As said above, lockback is not as flickable as the compression lock. As for the price, ZDP-189 has better edge retention than S30V. The base model of Delica 4 (with VG-10 steel) is much cheaper than the base models of PM2. It is also cheaper than the lightweight Para3.

ZDP-189 has better edge retention than S30V
That is highly debatable.
ALTHOUGH
I prefer ZDP-189 TO S30V.
Yes I have one. I love the thing ! ! !

are they always this stiff to open
Yes my ZDP Delica ( I have a few other Delicas) did seem to hava a bit stronger spring and so a bit more force was required to open it but after some oil and some use it is absolutely no problem at all on the one I have. If it continues to be too much contact Spyderco. They might even tweak the one you have and send it back to you.

It does break in and the blade swings a bit easier. Also a degree or two looser on the pivot screw if it seems like a good idea on your particular knife (no or not much blade play) tends to free up the action.
I can flick mine but it is no where near a Para 2 which is a whole 'nother world of deployment fun.

When I hold my Delica horizontal and depress the back lock the blade drops consistently now. When I first got it it would not do this at all. I tweaked the pivot and it was a fifty fifty thing. After not too much use here these last couple of months it is very free now.

I have read many comments here saying some Spydey holes are sharp.
I have calloused old fart mechanic's hands so I have never had a problem with the finish on any of my many, many Spydercos. Run a little emery paper (wet or dry paper) or take a fine diamond rat tail file (these are very inexpensive) to it to take the edge off as it were.

The more I use Delicas and the more I use mid back lock Spydercos in general such as the Endura the more I like these knives .:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Here is an excerpt from the Ankerson cut tests. Sure the S30V blade is a custom.
Sure there are not enough examples of ZDP-189 represented in the test.
I'm just saying . . .
(and yes I would still rather have ZDP blades ;))

S30V - 620 - Michael Raymond Estrella Custom - 60.5 - 61 RC - .006" behind the edge
S110V - 600 - Mule - 60 RC - .015" -.018" behind the edge.
S90V - 600 - Benchmade 940-1 - 59-61 RC - .018" Behind the edge.
S35VN - 560 - Fiddleback Forge Kephart - 60-61 RC - .015" Behind the Edge.
CTS-XHP - 540 - Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter - 63.5 RC - .020" behind the edge
CPM M4 - 500 - Spyderco Gayle Bradley - 62.5 - .022" behind the edge
S90V - 460 - Military - 60 RC
S90V/CPM 154 - Para 2 - 460 - ? RC
White Steel Laminate - 460 - HSC Custom - 63-64 HRC - .020" behind the edge
RWL-34 - Mule Team 22 - 440 - 61-62 RC - .020" Behind the edge
CTS 204P - 420 - Para 2
ZDP -189 - 420 - Endura 4 - 65 RC

is this the true of all th imported knifes?
And since I am on a roll :
I prefer the Taichung and the Seki City knives to the Golden, CO knives for fit and finish and blade sharpness and geometry out of the box.
. . . and I live with in a hundred miles of Golden, CO.
Not saying I would turn down another Golden made knife. Far from it.
Just that I do not consider an import Spyderco to be a compromise.
More like frosting on the cake in fact !

Well like I said I have 3 paras and yes there more expensive,but in my opinion they are way ahead in fit and finish over the imported knifes,I am basing this on my paras and the Delica 4 I just bought I realize they are different locking mechanisms but the finish on this Delica isn’t close to the paras!makes me wonder why they aren’t all made in America like Benchmade

Last edited:
Ya I like it but the sharp edges on the spidey hole dose bother me ,was just wondering if there is less attention to the finish on the imports ? Not mad at it

The sharp holes is not sign of lacking attention. It’s done that way by design, so the finger doesn’t slip when operating the knife. I suggest using fine ceramic rod to soften it if you want, don’t use diamond as it may get overdone and you lose the traction. Do one circular swipe, test and do another if not enough. Avoid going aggressively.

I have a ZDP-189 Delica 4 and also did not care for the sharp edges on the blade hole. Used a diamond rod to soften the edges and over did it,,,, slightly too much and a little less purchase when opening the blade. Agree with above and go slowly with testing often.

Early Delica/Endura knives had factory blending of hole edges which I do not care for,,,, they used too much radius. Would much rather have sharp edges that I can modify to personal preference.

Regards,
FK

The sharp holes is not sign of lacking attention. It’s done that way by design, so the finger doesn’t slip when operating the knife. I suggest using fine ceramic rod to soften it if you want, don’t use diamond as it may get overdone and you lose the traction. Do one circular swipe, test and do another if not enough. Avoid going aggressively.
I find it hard to believe this is intentional,but you are in titled to your opinion

I find it hard to believe this is intentional,but you are in titled to your opinion
Sal himself has said this, so believe it or not this is a fact. My Manix, an American made knife has a "sharp" hole, but I don't care because it's not really sharp its just more acute than some care for.

Pure speculation here, but perhaps the spydie holes on the Para3/Para2 are not as sharp because they need less engagement to open the blades on those knives, unlike the Delica. They are generally smoother and more "flickable" than the Delica. Therefore it is possible your Para3/Para2's are not defective.

As for general fit and finish on the Delica: at one point or another I have owned three of them, including one in ZDP-189. I may be less discriminating and consider the Delica to be a high value, lower cost, utilitarian folder so I am not bothered by the faint grind lines on my Delicas (which are also present on both of my Golden-made Para3's). Other than the faint grind lines I have never noticed any issues with the finishing. Your tastes may vary.

As to the more sluggish opening mechanism on the Delica: I actually prefer the added friction in the pivot, as compared to the Para3. I think it makes the Delica feel more solid in use, which matters to me in such a light and slim knife.

Notwithstanding your misgivings, you've got a great knife in your hands. Use it and you will enjoy it more than you think.

The only Spyderco that I have owned that did not have a sharp hole was a Maxamet Manix.

As for the Delica. I tweaked the lock bar slightly to improve the action.

Pure speculation here, but perhaps the spydie holes on the Para3/Para2 are not as sharp because they need less engagement to open the blades on those knives, unlike the Delica. They are generally smoother and more "flickable" than the Delica. Therefore it is possible your Para3/Para2's are not defective.

As for general fit and finish on the Delica: at one point or another I have owned three of them, including one in ZDP-189. I may be less discriminating and consider the Delica to be a high value, lower cost, utilitarian folder so I am not bothered by the faint grind lines on my Delicas (which are also present on both of my Golden-made Para3's). Other than the faint grind lines I have never noticed any issues with the finishing. Your tastes may vary.

As to the more sluggish opening mechanism on the Delica: I actually prefer the added friction in the pivot, as compared to the Para3. I think it makes the Delica feel more solid in use, which matters to me in such a light and slim knife.

Notwithstanding your misgivings, you've got a great knife in your hands. Use it and you will enjoy it more than you think.
Thanks ,I was being sarcastic about the paras being defective,I love my para 2,but from now on no more imported knifes for me !

Last edited:
The only Spyderco that I have owned that did not have a sharp hole was a Maxamet Manix.

As for the Delica. I tweaked the lock bar slightly to improve the action.

Yes this is the answer. If it requires too much force to open the blade, just bend the lockbar outward a bit. I used this tweak to adjust my Delica to my liking.

no more imported knifes for me

Shame that you're going to let something so easy to fix limit your options. The US manufactured Spydercos are great, but you'll be missing out on some truly awesome models, and not just the ones made in Japan. The fit and finish on the Taiwan manufactured models is absolutely amazing, although you'll probably still want to run a sharpening rod or a bit of fine grit sandpaper around the edge of the thumb hole since, as others have said, those are left that way by design and not as a result of shoddy finishing techniques. :)

Back