Delicious food thread!

vvfs8KJ.jpg

I need to try and adapt my cast iron steak recipe for some filets tomorrow night. The original recipe calls for something like some fat ribeyes about 1/2" thick, posted on a different forum by @ehran. Basically it starts with brining the steaks for about 20 minutes with some coarse salt while the oven is preheating to 500F with the cast iron skillet in the oven. Rinse and pat the steaks dry, season with pepper. Pull the skillet out and drop on a stove top burner on it's highest setting. I let the burner heat the skillet till it's smoking then drop the steak in. Sear for 30 seconds, flip and sear for 30 more. Then it's into the heated over for 2 minutes, then flipped over for another 2 minutes. I think Ehran's directions called for 5 minutes on a plate after that but I'm usually shoveling it in my gob as soon as it's cool enough to eat, it's about a perfect medium rare with a nice seared crust like this. I usually leave the stove top hot so I can add some water and let the skillet simmer while I'm stuffing my face and it scrapes clean nice and easy. I drop the oven down to 400F and throw the skillet in for an hour if it seems like the seasoning needs a little love.

The filets would be perfect if done the same as the ribeye but they're a little over an inch thick. The brining of the ribeyes is pretty amazing, you can see the meat fibers falling apart before cooking, curious to see if it has the same break-down effect on the filets with their lesser fat content. I'll probably keep the brine time the same but I think I might do a four side sear since the filets are a lot blockier shaped but try and do 20 seconds per side and stay at 4 minutes total in the oven. They're only about 10 ounces apiece so I'd think as long as the sear is spread out the total cooking time should remain about the same. I usually pull the ribeye out of the fridge before brining but don't worry too much about letting them come up to room temp, that might be more of an issue with the filets though.

Anywho, that was mostly just me trying to figure it out in my head. My grill has been defunct for about 2 years so this cast iron steak cooking has been a pretty phenomenal find. I honestly think I would prefer one done in a cast iron to a grill now that I'm starting to get it figured out.

If anyone has any favorite steak cooking methods, I'm all ears! I want to do one on the coals of a fire this spring

My favorite steaks are the reverse sear steaks. I smoke them on low heat for about an hour. Then pull them off the grill and turn it up high as it will go. Let it get super hot. Pat the steaks dry. Throw on the grill directly over flames. Give it about 30 seconds. Pick it up and rotate a half turn drop it on fresh hot grates. 30 more seconds or so and then flip it to fresh hot grates and repeat. Pull and let sit for 10 minutes.

Best steaks I have ever eaten

Definitely cooked different than the ribeyes but came out excellent. Seared 2 minutes per side then 5 minutes at 425 in the oven. Roasted Brussels sprouts were pretty excellent too. Not a typical 1am snack.

Y6c0wYa.jpg
I’ve been on the clock since 6:00 am. I’ve had two extra large coffees and three bottles of water during my work day.
After viewing this pic, I’m clocking out (7:15 pm) because I literally just drooled on myself.

Back