Design Merits and value of BK62

I like the scales. They have a texture I admire. Mine don't seem to be as dry as some I've seen in the photos. I was gonna stain and oil mine, but I have oily hands anyway, and I'm a knife user, so they'll be both dirty and oily in no time. I like nice looking knives, don't get me wrong, but like the utility way more. This thing, though I have monster hands, orients into the hand very nicely. Really admiring it.

We keep saying the word "simple"........ Believe me, I know and appreciate simple!
I always tell people (and they look at me like I'm crazy) that simple is Hard to do.... It takes tons of effort to make things easy! I've worked in fields throughout my life that people seem to want overly complicated solutions to issues. I also am not a fan of fads. I Love old timey products, and I respect their utilitarian aspects. I just was hoping for a little bit more? Really, it is as simple as the handle scales..... because they were the first thing I saw, and what I'm most disappointed in. I would of liked them to be warmer is the best way I can describe my wants. I've been a woodworker for a long time. (to me) walnut/wood is warm and beautiful yet it is strong and capable. It has a life all it's own.... It should "charm" you into wanting to hold them.... They should be alluring.....
These were not. The kids today would say...."Meh".
Yes they felt ok, and after I spend some time fixing them into a nicer looking ones, I'll probably enjoy this knife more like all of you are. I really hope so. After seeing them, I'd really prefer the regular Becker scales.... maybe in a nice dark brown color.... And then KA-BAR could offer a wood aftermarket version. I have a question....If these EXACT walnut scales were an aftermarket item, how much would you have willingly paid for them? I'm curious as to what people think These scales are worth? Because they are my biggest issue....

I also want to say I appreciate how respectful and sincere all of you have been, I don't want to seem like a troll or anything? I love my BK5 & BK9, and want to love this one too!

I don't think you are being trollish at all, my friend. I am thrilled that you are stating your opinions. Like you, I am not much for fanboy(ism) and so I respect those that might have a view or perception that goes against the popular grain, so to speak.

I understand what you are saying about the scales. I have a Fiddleback that is made of Amboyna Burl. It is a beautiful knife, warm, comfortable, inviting. I do not get the same feel/impression from this 62 but I also wasn't looking for that. If one were to put some effort into polishing up the scales, I think you very well may like the results. The factory product is rough, dull, and the grain certainly does not "pop" but at the price point, I am more than ok with that. This walnut will age and patina with the absurd amount of use this knife will be seeing and I am looking forward to sharing in its journey.

I like the scales. They have a texture I admire. Mine don't seem to be as dry as some I've seen in the photos. I was gonna stain and oil mine, but I have oily hands anyway, and I'm a knife user, so they'll be both dirty and oily in no time. I like nice looking knives, don't get me wrong, but like the utility way more. This thing, though I have monster hands, orients into the hand very nicely. Really admiring this thing.

Really happy to hear how it's treating your hands, Dubz, it certainly had me curious and I would have been bummed had it ended up being unsuitable for you.

Really happy to hear how it's treating your hands, Dubz, it certainly had me curious and I would have been bummed had it ended up being unsuitable for you.
Slightly short, but by no means uncomfortable. This knife seriously makes me think that I don't need anything else. Can't wait to get out and use it.

One thing you will notice is that Beckerheads cant leave well enough alone. Some of these knives were tore down within 30 seconds. LMAO! Its great to see so many not afraid to mod, use and just enjoy the knife. I was out in the garage building a sheath for the 62. I have a couple more to build. Im finding myself thinking back 100 years ago what sheaths were made. Pretty simple. Cool knife. Good Guys.

Hudson Bay (the pattern) knives were the BK-9s of their day. A big heavy knife designed to do the heavy lifting in camp. The 62 paired with a Hudson Bay (a proper one) would be pretty terrific.

Then again, I am a big sucker for traditional/historical patterns...

I won't be getting mine for probably two months. I'm looking forward to it. Out of all your comments, the one that hit me most was the price..... I also expected something in the tweener range of prices. But his one does have a walnut handle which is not typical of Becker knives. It would loose something with standard tweener handles. So, if that adds some cost, I'm comfortable with that.

I am so glad that Ethan and Kabar went with the 5" blade.

I can't say that the Kephart is one of the most imitated knife patterns. I think it only became a subject in the last couple of years for the most part. The only Kephart I have is the Condor version and I suspect the Becker one will be a lot more useful.

I think the basic leather sheath fits the knife. It is all that is needed and it's leather not some plastic, nylon or canvas.... adds cost. I'm comfortable with that.

All I really need to know is how it feels in my hand and how it cuts. I suspect I'll know well how it cuts long before I get mine.

When I get it, it will likely become my "Smoky Mountain" knife.

We keep saying the word "simple"........ Believe me, I know and appreciate simple!
I always tell people (and they look at me like I'm crazy) that simple is Hard to do.... It takes tons of effort to make things easy! I've worked in fields throughout my life that people seem to want overly complicated solutions to issues. I also am not a fan of fads. I Love old timey products, and I respect their utilitarian aspects. I just was hoping for a little bit more? Really, it is as simple as the handle scales..... because they were the first thing I saw, and what I'm most disappointed in. I would of liked them to be warmer is the best way I can describe my wants. I've been a woodworker for a long time. (to me) walnut/wood is warm and beautiful yet it is strong and capable. It has a life all it's own.... It should "charm" you into wanting to hold them.... They should be alluring.....
These were not. The kids today would say...."Meh".
Yes they felt ok, and after I spend some time fixing them into a nicer looking ones, I'll probably enjoy this knife more like all of you are. I really hope so. After seeing them, I'd really prefer the regular Becker scales.... maybe in a nice dark brown color.... And then KA-BAR could offer a wood aftermarket version. I have a question....If these EXACT walnut scales were an aftermarket item, how much would you have willingly paid for them? I'm curious as to what people think These scales are worth? Because they are my biggest issue....

I also want to say I appreciate how respectful and sincere all of you have been, I don't want to seem like a troll or anything? I love my BK5 & BK9, and want to love this one too!
Hey there. Let me flip that question around on you. As a woodworker how much would you expect to charge someone for a pair of custom Walnut handles that fit 1,000% and were perfectly smooth and where as warm to the touch as you want them to be?

Nobody asked... but how does it do with a baton? ;)

I expect it will work about like the BK-15 which I really like and in fact is the blade I use as a reference in choosing more expensive blades. I like trailing points....

Hudson Bay (the pattern) knives were the BK-9s of their day. A big heavy knife designed to do the heavy lifting in camp. The 62 paired with a Hudson Bay (a proper one) would be pretty terrific.

Then again, I am a big sucker for traditional/historical patterns...
but that seems to be the issue. As a noob to the periodicaly correct knives I did a search for a Hudson Bay Knife and its virtually impossible to find one of "quality". if you know of a place please message me. Im all in for a good one..

Back