Design Merits and value of BK62

They definitely have in the past:

EBTH440-1747.jpg

ka-bar-knife-hatchet1.jpg

One thing you will notice is that Beckerheads cant leave well enough alone. Some of these knives were tore down within 30 seconds. LMAO! Its great to see so many not afraid to mod, use and just enjoy the knife. I was out in the garage building a sheath for the 62. I have a couple more to build. Im finding myself thinking back 100 years ago what sheaths were made. Pretty simple. Cool knife. Good Guys.
I don’t know what you’re talking about. Lol

I agree with the op. I own a lot of Becker’s and love them. I am going to pass on this one. For my needs, condors, Ontario old hickory’s, traditionals, etc, fulfill my old school needs at a fraction of the price. I certainly don’t mind more expensive Becker’s being offered but lately it seems like the norm not the exception.

To some it up, when talking to new woods/knife users, I used to recommend picking a Becker out of the line up that appeals to them because “they were the best bang for the buck”. Now I have to say, try this one or that one but not these cuz your paying too much for production level 1095, grivory, wood, etc. If after the hype the price falls to tweener price, I will eat my words. Still love me my 14’s, 16, 2, 4, 7, 9, etc.... you get the idea.

.... If after the hype the price falls to tweener price, I will eat my words. Still love me my 14’s, 16, 2, 4, 7, 9, etc.... you get the idea.
Don't hold your breath. I suspect Kabar will discontinue it before it drops that much in price. I suspect that Kabar is paying a royality to the Kephart organization to use his signature on the blade. You don't see that on any of the other Kepharts that have been offered.

Beckers are still a good value overall. But there are a lot of choices these days. It isn't just ESEE vs Becker any more.

Hudson Bay (the pattern) knives were the BK-9s of their day. A big heavy knife designed to do the heavy lifting in camp. The 62 paired with a Hudson Bay (a proper one) would be pretty terrific.

Then again, I am a big sucker for traditional/historical patterns...

check in on the JK subforum - John makes a couple versions of the HB knife that have some heft and a decent balance.

$140+shipping? that's quite a bit more than i paid. also, i didn't pay tax.

for what we're getting, i think the price was right, and it's a fantastic knife.

i don't think everyone will love it. we're going to see people with very negative reviews. a lot of people are going to armchair quarter back this, having never bought one, seen one, or really having much to say.

tis the nature of things.

now, why do i like it?

because it's a faithful reproduction of the original that i've held. that's amazing right there.

getting the details right on something like this is important to me. lots of other Kepharts and Nessmuks and such out there, but most of those are fanciful interpretations. almost every single one has something about it, which makes it not authentic, so it's just another knife even if it's "close" in some way.

but hey, don't like it? flip it, possibly even for profit. i hope not.

Take a tweeter, add walnut scales and a leather sheath...you’re in the price range of the 62.
I’m not rich by any means but I didn’t blink. It’s a Becker. I know what comes with that name and I know a bit of the back story on this blade and what it means to Ethan and I support that.
Also it’s not just a “Kephart style”, it’s intended to stay true to the original, that means a lot.
I’m willing to splurge and pay a premium on all those counts, although I don’t even feel that it’s a premium price point considering the lack of grivory and nylon.
On top of all that, this is 100% made in the USA, blade, scales, and sheath.
The sheath isn’t a cheap Mexico or China sheath, it’s very sturdy, finished and stitched nicely and stamped “Proudly Made in USA”. Damn near custom quality.

With the uncertainty of my 62 not being found by the Dear PO and SMKW having them in stock :rolleyes: Yep, I just increased my odds of obtaining at least 1 hopefully 2 :D

Forgot to mention Black Friday now at SMKW

Last edited:
Don't hold your breath. I suspect Kabar will discontinue it before it drops that much in price. I suspect that Kabar is paying a royality to the Kephart organization to use his signature on the blade. You don't see that on any of the other Kepharts that have been offered.

Beckers are still a good value overall. But there are a lot of choices these days. It isn't just ESEE vs Becker any more.

I never thought of This.....Good point!

$140+shipping? that's quite a bit more than i paid. also, i didn't pay tax.

for what we're getting, i think the price was right, and it's a fantastic knife.

i don't think everyone will love it. we're going to see people with very negative reviews. a lot of people are going to armchair quarter back this, having never bought one, seen one, or really having much to say.

tis the nature of things.

I paid 130ish, plus shipping to my door with tax was over $140..... You paid tax too, or else....you Should not admit that here? :0
I own this knife, I received it Saturday morning.
I gave zero negativity to the product, but I think people outside the culture want non-emotional views, too.

Heck..... I even just did a thing with it, ugh!
Maybe I'll make another post? Lol

~snip~
Good call twenty-two. Didn’t even think of royalties. Don’t have a problem with that, as long as it’s going to the proper place.

In my mind I bought the original knife that Horace used in his travels. Of all the people in the world that could have come into possession of this knife it was our very own Ethan Becker. Nobody else could or would have made this happen. I want Horace Kepharts knife I want the same materials he had. Carbon Steel, Wood, and Leather. Nothing more nothing less. I own Horace Kepharts knife.

Back