Desperados Waiting for a Train

John I didn't know that was a common test, I'm going to have to start doing that with all my blades.
I'd always heard it was a good way to test your heat treat. I trust my hardness tester and I throw a test piece in when I treat blades to break and check the grain but it's nice to know everything is good to go. I don't do it much anymore but when I started heat treating before I had the RC tester I would. When I said it's a normal test, I meant that I'm not making a claim that anything I'm doing is better than anyone else, a proper heat treat should do this just fine. I wanted to post that video because I saw a conversation about treated blades bending the tips when accidentally dropped. (this was on another platform, not BF). It makes me cringe, just as much as the people that say they should be able to cut a railroad spike in half with super steels!

A zero grind kitchen blade won't chop a tree down and an axe won't slice a tomato thin! These blades are.ground pretty thin and for their purpose should work great.

I'd always heard it was a good way to test your heat treat. I trust my hardness tester and I throw a test piece in when I treat blades to break and check the grain but it's nice to know everything is good to go. I don't do it much anymore but when I started heat treating before I had the RC tester I would. When I said it's a normal test, I meant that I'm not making a claim that anything I'm doing is better than anyone else, a proper heat treat should do this just fine. I wanted to post that video because I saw a conversation about treated blades bending the tips when accidentally dropped. (this was on another platform, not BF). It makes me cringe, just as much as the people that say they should be able to cut a railroad spike in half with super steels!

A zero grind kitchen blade won't chop a tree down and an axe won't slice a tomato thin! These blades are.ground pretty thin and for their purpose should work great.
I was just goofing around with you John, when ever I I have blades heat treated I usually always throw in a few small shop knife blades I make out of scrap pieces of the steel I'm working with and I give those a really thorough work out in my shop.

I was just goofing around with you John, when ever I I have blades heat treated I usually always throw in a few small shop knife blades I make out of scrap pieces of the steel I'm working with and I give those a really thorough work out in my shop.
Oh gotcha Scott lol. I'm not the sharpest knife in the.... oh wait, I probably shouldn't use that cliche.

I wish there was an easier way to post videos than YouTube. I just posted a very short video on Instagram but only a few of you are on there (which I dont blame you).

Does anyone have any suggestions for posting short videos quick and easy? Stick with YouTube?

(Edit to add: I see YouTube has "Stories" like on Instagram, it's handy for quick videos. To post on YouTube Stories you only need 10,000 followers, only 9,985 to go!:D)

Heat treat is done on 1-8 by the way. I'm cleaning the blades up and then getting materials laid out for each knife. If you have any changes, now is the time gents.

Last edited:
I wish there was an easier way to post videos than YouTube. I just posted a very short video on Instagram but only a few of you are on there (which I dont blame you).

Does anyone have any suggestions for posting short videos quick and easy? Stick with YouTube?

(Edit to add: I see YouTube has "Stories" like on Instagram, it's handy for quick videos. To post on YouTube Stories you only need 10,000 followers, only 9,985 to go!:D)

Heat treat is done on 1-8 by the way. I'm cleaning the blades up and then getting materials laid out for each knife. If you have any changes, now is the time gents.
They really are looking good, John!
Sorry I screwed up my post(s) on Instagram, keep forgetting if you hit return, it posts your message.:confused:

Sweet looking!
Cool tune, too. Lost Dogs & Mixed Blessings is a great album :thumbsup:
I meant to ask, how do you do the thumpling?

They really are looking good, John!
Sorry I screwed up my post(s) on Instagram, keep forgetting if you hit return, it posts your message.:confused:
No worries that's the worst damn format to be able to have a conversation!
Sweet looking!
Cool tune, too. Lost Dogs & Mixed Blessings is a great album :thumbsup:
I meant to ask, how do you do the thumpling?
The area is sandwiched between two pieces of steel and two different sized punches and a small hammer are used to stipple the area with random taps. This is done after thermal cycles and before normalization in an annealed state.

No worries that's the worst damn format to be able to have a conversation!

The area is sandwiched between two pieces of steel and two different sized punches and a small hammer are used to stipple the area with random taps. This is done after thermal cycles and before normalization in an annealed state.
Interesting. Very unique.
That and the Missing Years are my favorites. All of his stuff is great though. Him and Bob Dylan would be the only celebrities I'd ever want to meet, you can keep all the rest.
Yeah, JP is the stuff.
Fair & Square is an LP I like.
I'd like to meet Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly. Lead Belly gave his old 12-string a good thumpling now and then.

That and the Missing Years are my favorites. All of his stuff is great though. Him and Bob Dylan would be the only celebrities I'd ever want to meet, you can keep all the rest.
Quit Hollerin' at Me is one of my favorites (at least one of 100) of his! Gonna be a sad day when he passes!

Quit Hollerin' at Me is one of my favorites (at least one of 100) of his! Gonna be a sad day when he passes!
That's a great one Dennis ....they already think my name is 'where in hell you been'...

The first I'd ever heard of him was on Austin City Limits and he played "My Old Man" (I think he said it was written by Steve Goodman). He's been my favorite since that day, must have been around '91.

That's a great one Dennis ....they already think my name is 'where in hell you been'...

The first I'd ever heard of him was on Austin City Limits and he played "My Old Man" (I think he said it was written by Steve Goodman). He's been my favorite since that day, must have been around '91.
That's a great song!:thumbsup:

There are songs of his I like better than others, but I don't think I have ever heard a song I didn't like.
Been listening a lot to his newer ones, along with Levon Helm' last two albums, more great stuff. Really like this one

Post heat treat clean up with a slow and wet 220 grit. We'd have to get up to the high 300 degrees to further temper things. Dips every few passes and light pressure keep things cool. With thin blades I do most of the distal taper after heat treat. That leaves more meat on the spine in the quench, which should help prevent warp.

That's water on the blade, looks funky, like my hand:eek:
20190418_180936(0)-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Post heat treat clean up with a slow and wet 220 grit. We'd have to get up to the high 300 degrees to further temper things. Dips every few passes and light pressure keep things cool. With thin blades I do most of the distal taper after heat treat. That leaves more meat on the spine in the quench, which should help prevent warp.

That's water on the blade, looks funky, like my hand:eek:
View attachment 1113295
What grinder are you using, John? (Brand).

KMG 2HP Variable speed.

There was another company I was looking at but they like to throw F Bombs at their competitors so they won't get my business. I'm no saint, but I don't like big talk on a keyboard.
Nice!
I got the Oregon Blade Maker, with a 1.5 hp Baldor and a TECO vfd/inverter. Scooter helped me with the motor and vfd. Not a KMG, but will do me just fine for my 1 knife a year.

Nice!
I got the Oregon Blade Maker, with a 1.5 hp Baldor and a TECO vfd/inverter. Scooter helped me with the motor and vfd. Not a KMG, but will do me just fine for my 1 knife a year.
Sweet, vfd is the way to go. I was running a Grizzly before this, it had one speed....

Plaid is the only way to go!

Love the finish you get with yours! These are going to come out nice!

Some guys make knives out of files, when I grind a knife, it looks like a file!:confused::D

Back