Desperados Waiting for a Train

#7 (ooh dat bocote) & #8
View attachment 1189655

Dat right dare, dats a pile of da good stuff.
View attachment 1189696

When it comes to tools as old as I am, this here hinged shaper has been with me from the get go, just the right shape to make a nice curve, add some of the Rupes magic paper and you're all set.
View attachment 1190400
Ooh dat bocote

I see what you did there. o_O And it worked, here I am... ;) :p

Yes, that Bocote is lookin' pretty fantastic!!! :thumbsup: :cool:

When it comes to tools as old as I am, this here hinged shaper has been with me from the get go, just the right shape to make a nice curve, add some of the Rupes magic paper and you're all set.
View attachment 1190400
Ooh dat bocote

:cool::thumbsup:

Trivia time. There are probably just as many left hand shapers as there are right hand shapers but most default to the right hand shapers. Typically, a maker will turn out a ton of right hand and very few left hand because demand is lower. Good to see you're using both. :)

:cool::thumbsup:

Trivia time. There are probably just as many left hand shapers as there are right hand shapers but most default to the right hand shapers. Typically, a maker will turn out a ton of right hand and very few left hand because demand is lower. Good to see you're using both. :)
This was a direct result of only having a right handed camera holder! The left one doesn't have fine enough motor skills!

I see what you did there. o_O And it worked, here I am... ;) :p
Aliens.jpg

I'm convinced that there's a forum telepathy. A "Cowbell Ether" if you will :eek:

Handles are all being oiled. Multiple coats of Montana Pitch Blend"Oil & Conditioner" for a few days and then will rub in a few coats of their Leather Dressing.
John, how do you like that Montana Pitch Blend compared to Snow Seal? I been thinking about trying something different.

John, how do you like that Montana Pitch Blend compared to Snow Seal? I been thinking about trying something different.
Honestly I don't know that I'll use anything else from now on in the shop or on boots and gear. It's dry up here and I use it on all the boots in the house. The oil works well and the dressing rubs in well and doesn't have that gooey feel that Sno Seal can if you dont apply it with heat. No smell either.

As far as handles go, soaking in slow coats of the oil and then dressing over the top works awesome and doesnt require any heat.

I'm about to buy a half gallon of the oil and a 3lb tub of the dressing.

I think I’m going to give the Montana pitch blend a try. Sounds like it might be better than the snow seal.

Oops, forgot to post these
images

images

This one shows some good detail
images

Cell phone cameras are amazing
images

images

Probably my favorite shots
images

images

Touché o_O :p

IMG_4232.jpg

Honestly I don't know that I'll use anything else from now on in the shop or on boots and gear. It's dry up here and I use it on all the boots in the house. The oil works well and the dressing rubs in well and doesn't have that gooey feel that Sno Seal can if you dont apply it with heat. No smell either.

As far as handles go, soaking in slow coats of the oil and then dressing over the top works awesome and doesnt require any heat.

I'm about to buy a half gallon of the oil and a 3lb tub of the dressing.

I love Obenauf's LP for anything leather. Been using it for at least 5-6 years now on my main hunting boots (that are probably about 12-13 years old), and it works wonders. Generally I only need to reapply about once a year on the boots I wear the most for archery and upland hunting. I've recently started using it for my wood-handled fishing knives at the advice of some here at BF, and I'm pretty impressed with the results thus far. Pretty good stuff.

Back