Desperados Waiting for a Train

Thanks John! Hmm... Do you have any of that Bocote where there's a good/strong contrast of the light and dark wood together? That could look pretty nice!

Thanks John! Hmm... Do you have any of that Bocote where there's a good/strong contrast of the light and dark wood together? That could look pretty nice!
That I do and would be right up there with blackwood for me.

That I do and would be right up there with blackwood for me.

Oh man! :eek: I'm torn! :confused: Dibs on that piece, I'm leaning heavily that way right now. Better have a sleep on it though... Talk to you guys tomorrow, I really should turn over and get to sleep. ;)

To be fair and as gentle as I can be. This isn't a run of 7 customs, it's a group design that has limited options. (Remember that my best and worst quality is that I'm blunt;))

Number 3 below has a purpose that I've mentioned. To remove it affects handle integrity.

Number 5 has an option of material, I'm willing to go with a spacer layout with the moon glow, and throw in some denim.

However, when we start altering the design and doing tweaks, it compromises the purpose of a run like this and isn't fair to everyone else.

I'm sure there are some that would prefer an "Add to Cart" inventory and others that wished I strictly did customs. I do my best to involve everyone. I think Redmeadow is pretty unique and rare in that. I don't charge custom prices but I try to give you guys some options. I enjoy being able to do that but I have to draw the line somewhere.

To be clear, numbers 3, 5, and 8 are our options along with thumpling and choice of right or wrong hand sheath. Or I could make 7 right handers and throw them on Instagram at almost twice the price but where's the fun in that?

Now, harden your hearts men and let's make some wicked little blades! They will sing songs about us!!!

Ok, that got a little out of hand.
View attachment 1097205

John, I can't tell if you are responding to my post or just making a note to all of us DIBS.

I thought I was going with the program - maybe pushing with the stack of moon glow and blue denim in the # 5 position. I expect you would say yes or no and it seems that you are OK with this choice.

#s 1,2,& 3 are as you have them, with blue denim in the 3 position. The "extra" silver bands, on or off, as you prefer. Looking at your drawing I can see that these bands are not included and looking at the photos of finished knives posted on page 5 - I can see they aren't needed. OK by me.

Thanks.

Ray

To be fair and as gentle as I can be. This isn't a run of 7 customs, it's a group design that has limited options. (Remember that my best and worst quality is that I'm blunt;))

Number 3 below has a purpose that I've mentioned. To remove it affects handle integrity.

Number 5 has an option of material, I'm willing to go with a spacer layout with the moon glow, and throw in some denim.

However, when we start altering the design and doing tweaks, it compromises the purpose of a run like this and isn't fair to everyone else.

I'm sure there are some that would prefer an "Add to Cart" inventory and others that wished I strictly did customs. I do my best to involve everyone. I think Redmeadow is pretty unique and rare in that. I don't charge custom prices but I try to give you guys some options. I enjoy being able to do that but I have to draw the line somewhere.

To be clear, numbers 3, 5, and 8 are our options along with thumpling and choice of right or wrong hand sheath. Or I could make 7 right handers and throw them on Instagram at almost twice the price but where's the fun in that?

Now, harden your hearts men and let's make some wicked little blades! They will sing songs about us!!!

Ok, that got a little out of hand.
View attachment 1097205
I don't know about the rest of you but my head's spinning a little :confused:
So we'll all get the same handle on these?
That's fine. I can appreciate needing to keep things simple and straightforward for the maker who's offering up a great price ;)

If we're getting the same arrangement, maybe a vote/poll makes sense ??

OH - so is that the idea - we all agree on the handle layout?

My apologies if so, because I misunderstood that we could select our preferred "option" for the # 5 and number 3 positions. I guess my head is spinning too :rolleyes:

Oh well...

:) Ray

I don't know that this could be more clesr gentleman.

A look at the diagram shows the exact configuration of the design, to include the numbering of every portion.

Each Dibs has the following individual options for their individual knife.

#3 on the diagram- Rear spacer material
#5 on the diagram- Front spacer material
Thumpling- Yes or No
Thonghole- Yes or No
Sheath- Right or Left

I am more than happy to work with you on your individual configuration to a point. However, when you want to change the design of the knife (which I addressed in post #56) that defeats the purpose of this build.

Now I will be more specific and blunt. RayseM RayseM , the design is very clear, the options are very clear. This is not a custom, the design is set. Frankly, the available options are more than enough to create a very individual piece that could be considered a custom. You have stated before that you like less spacers, stripes, and colors in a knife handle, but now you want to turn spacer number five from one piece, into three. This makes me wonder if it were designed as three, would you want to change it into one? I'm not the kind of Maker that says "take what you can get" I never have been and will never be. However, there is a point when I have to draw a line in the sand.

One more thing and I'll name no names- Instead of back editing posts to change the context,
post a new one. Communication is what sets the Clan of the Cowbell apart.

Thumpling- Yes or No
Thonghole- Yes or No
Sheath- Right or Left

I think John's last post should make this pretty clear, we each get our choice of the 5 options above. Keeping the builds somewhat similar, without too many differences, keeps his workload down, and the same for each knife, which in turns keeps the price nice. IMO, John very much undercharges us for his work here, and I personally wouldn't get too greedy and push the limit.

PS - John, sometime in the next few days, could I get a quick picture of the Bocote? I don't know if it would look like the stuff in the sweet cutting board I got from Scott, or like the Bocote Corsair you made awhile back. TIA! :thumbsup:

I don't know that this could be more clesr gentleman.

A look at the diagram shows the exact configuration of the design, to include the numbering of every portion.

Each Dibs has the following individual options for their individual knife.

Thumpling- Yes or No
Thonghole- Yes or No
Sheath- Right or Left

I am more than happy to work with you on your individual configuration to a point. However, when you want to change the design of the knife (which I addressed in post #56) that defeats the purpose of this build.

Now I will be more specific and blunt. RayseM RayseM , the design is very clear, the options are very clear. This is not a custom, the design is set. Frankly, the available options are more than enough to create a very individual piece that could be considered a custom. You have stated before that you like less spacers, stripes, and colors in a knife handle, but now you want to turn spacer number five from one piece, into three. This makes me wonder if it were designed as three, would you want to change it into one? I'm not the kind of Maker that says "take what you can get" I never have been and will never be. However, there is a point when I have to draw a line in the sand.

One more thing and I'll name no names- Instead of back editing posts to change the context,
post a new one. Communication is what sets the Clan of the Cowbell apart.
Ok, think I'll take the following:

#3: Blue denim micarta
#5: Blackwood
Thumpling: yes
Thonghole: yes
Sheath: right

Thanks for clarifying what we're selecting :thumbsup:
~Don

could I get a quick picture of the Bocote? I don't know if it would look like the stuff in the sweet cutting board I got from Scott, or like the Bocote Corsair you made awhile back.
Scott's boards are end grain, that gives it that really cool "Topo map" look. It depends on which you'd prefer, I would be comfortable running this piece of bocote so the grain runs perpendicular to the length of the knife. That would expose the end grain.

This piece of bocote is the one Scott sent for his Chopper back in the day. Really tight grain on it.

Lengthwise grain
20190324_191527-01.jpeg

End grain (top map)
20190324_191710-01.jpeg

Scott's Chopper (from same piece above)
View media item 14

I asked some questions and offered a concept. I received a reply in post # 56 that suggested that you were OK with the 3 piece # 5 - though it sounds now that you meant NO. Fine - no - would have been sufficient. I also realized that each silver spacer was not acceptable. I honestly did not know if those were somehow needed as part of the build. It wasn't until I looked at these examples (in the photo below) again that I realized that the metal spacers were not required.

View attachment 1097933

I obviously had misunderstood and so I asked for clarification.

Not being greedy and certainly not trying to be difficult and I certainly understand the VALUE. Just because John and I are having this discussion in the open does not invite editorializing by others. We all have our flat spots and apparently one of mine is understanding this process. I only own one Redmeadow and that was a well collaborated custom. I've never done the DIBS thing.

In the earlier thread where these wee knives were first discussed I said that I thought these in the photo ^ were just right and I would be happy to get my little bullnose replicated in the colors and materials as these - silver rather than bronze of course.

In conclusion -

1) My apologies John for the confusion and resulting frustration.

2) Mine can look just like those in the photo.

Thanks.

Ray

Editorialism is welcome here, that's precisely why I started a Subforum. Jared's post was spot on.

The reason this is in the open is because there was some confusion created and the number one complaint about knifemakers is a lack of communication.

I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of your post my friend because I think it's emotion driven and frankly, it's wasting mine and everyone else's time.

Scott's boards are end grain, that gives it that really cool "Topo map" look. It depends on which you'd prefer, I would be comfortable running this piece of bocote so the grain runs perpendicular to the length of the knife. That would expose the end grain.

This piece of bocote is the one Scott sent for his Chopper back in the day. Really tight grain on it.

Lengthwise grain
View attachment 1097943

End grain (top map)
View attachment 1097944

Scott's Chopper (from same piece above)
View media item 14

Perfect answer John, that tells me exactly what I needed to know! :thumbsup: 99% sure I'll be going with the Bocote, grain parallel with the tang like on Scott's knife. :cool:

I asked some questions and offered a concept. I received a reply in post # 56 that suggested that you were OK with the 3 piece # 5 - though it sounds now that you meant NO. Fine - no - would have been sufficient. I also realized that each silver spacer was not acceptable. I honestly did not know if those were somehow needed as part of the build. It wasn't until I looked at these examples (in the photo below) again that I realized that the metal spacers were not required.

View attachment 1097933

I obviously had misunderstood and so I asked for clarification.

Not being greedy and certainly not trying to be difficult and I certainly understand the VALUE. Just because John and I are having this discussion in the open does not invite editorializing by others. We all have our flat spots and apparently one of mine is understanding this process. I only own one Redmeadow and that was a well collaborated custom. I've never done the DIBS thing.

In the earlier thread where these wee knives were first discussed I said that I thought these in the photo ^ were just right and I would be happy to get my little bullnose replicated in the colors and materials as these - silver rather than bronze of course.

In conclusion -

1) My apologies John for the confusion and resulting frustration.

2) Mine can look just like those in the photo.

Thanks.

Ray

Ray, please don't take what I said personally. It was not meant to be an insult, I was just trying to clarify things. I just thought you might have misunderstood what John meant earlier. The way I took it, he was saying that he could do that (the multi-stack front end), but that this knife run was not the build for it (the reason for the "however" part).

Back