Desperados Waiting for a Train

Scott's boards are end grain, that gives it that really cool "Topo map" look. It depends on which you'd prefer, I would be comfortable running this piece of bocote so the grain runs perpendicular to the length of the knife. That would expose the end grain.

This piece of bocote is the one Scott sent for his Chopper back in the day. Really tight grain on it.

Lengthwise grain
View attachment 1097943

End grain (top map)
View attachment 1097944

Scott's Chopper (from same piece above)
View media item 14
My favorite knife. :) If you need more Bocote for another project let me know.

John I would like to see the Blackwood with the darker of the natural Micarta when you have some time. Thanks Greg

Woohoo! There's eight!!! :cool: :thumbsup: (The Hateful Eight? :eek:)

So my choices are as follows:
  • Bocote (grain parallel to tang)
  • Blue Denim micarta
  • Thumpling please! :D
  • No thong hole
  • Right hand sheath
A little unsure about the blue micarta at the moment, I might change my mind there. Can't decide if something with a more natural/warmer tone might be better back there.

A little unsure about the blue micarta at the moment, I might change my mind there. Can't decide if something with a more natural/warmer tone might be better back there.
I think that back spacer might be nice if it contrasts the stacked leather. It might make the end cap kind of 'pop' also. Blue or maroon would work well I think.

We'll mock up some different configurations when we get there, no worries.

Woohoo! There's eight!!! :cool: :thumbsup: (The Hateful Eight? :eek:)

So my choices are as follows:
  • Bocote (grain parallel to tang)
  • Blue Denim micarta
  • Thumpling please! :D
  • No thong hole
  • Right hand sheath
Quit your complaining youz got too many knifes. :rolleyes:

I've spent a little time sitting on the sidelines here but I'm trying to decide on the best contrast for 3 and 5. I think I'm going to go with maroon 3 and blackwood 5.
Thank you, John for numbering them this way. There is no way in hell that I could ask for maroon 5.

Thanks for the photos. I asked the Mrs. for her opinion. She loves blue like Pertinux does but, surprisingly, she said the maroon looked best and that the natural was too close to the color of the leather.

I might be changing my selection. I hope it isn't too much trouble.

Thanks for the photos. I asked the Mrs. for her opinion. She loves blue like Pertinux does but, surprisingly, she said the maroon looked best and that the natural was too close to the color of the leather.

Mrs Rupe has excellent taste.
In handle colors.

She's got a good eye!
No trouble on the change.

And hand crafted with only the finest of handled tools!:cool::thumbsup:

Labor of love! Looking good, John!
That corn cob has outlasted quite a few files!

I really like the natural micarta, it's a dead ringer for a color match too the stacked leather. The other color I wouldn't mind trying sometime is the olive canvas micarta. John what length are you making the blades, are they about 3 inches?

I really like the natural micarta, it's a dead ringer for a color match too the stacked leather. The other color I wouldn't mind trying sometime is the olive canvas micarta. John what length are you making the blades, are they about 3 inches?
I got a good deal on some large blocks of that natural micarta, just say the word and I'll get some your way

Back