Diagonal Saddle Stitches

AA3A849C-7C5A-4D59-A5A9-09BEB76EAF34.jpg Does anyone have any advice on getting those neat diagonal saddle stitches (see pic) ? I’m comfortable stitching but the way I’ve been saddle stitching leads to pretty straight stitches. I’m not sure if I can type how I do it but I’ll try. I start with my left hand, needle goes through then the right needle goes behind (under) the left needle and through the hole, the loop on the other side is wrapped around the needle and both are tightened. In essence on the left side it passes through a loop on the right they’re crossed. I’ve tried both diamond chisels and stitch marker followed by awl in the drill press but I’ve heard it’s more about the stitch method than the holes. Thanks for any tips people might have! I’m enjoying learning a complimentary skill. Picture is just an example of someone else’s work I saw with this nice stitching.

Last edited:
3A06765F-35AB-4291-AAEC-11C24C8404EB.jpeg Here’s a photo of typical stitching for me a little diagonal but not much and this is with thin leather not sheath leather, and holes made with a diamond stitching chisel.

472B7F2A-B305-41B2-80E5-7976C58485A4.jpeg 760459B2-2755-49B0-967C-58E5368FCF24.jpeg Well I read a lot of information trying to understand it better then stitched four different methods with the last not quite finished one being the best for me with pretty consistent angles on both front and back. If anyone is curious the best method for me was left needle through, right needle underneath or behind it, then the loop on the left is passed over the right needle and when the stitch is tightened the right hand pulls up and left hand pulls down. I’m guessing if the diamond holes were pointed the other direction the same method with everything reversed would also produce the same result. I’m still open to tips!

That is classic English saddle stitching and there are various ways to get there. I highly recommend you watch YouTube videos by Nigel Armitage on how to do it. He has several, including a few that are very comprehensive. It is not hard but it needs to be done consistently and with a clear understanding of how the thread and needles need to be handled relative to the angle of the holes. One you watch those, with a bit of practice, I am confident you will be able to do it well.
I would try yo explain but it is difficult in words. His videos are excellent.
Randy
Here are some links:

Robber58 Robber58 thanks for those. I had watched the first one last night but just watched the second and it helped to cement what I began to learn trying different methods on scrap pieces.

Fantastic thread! I love researching different stitching techniques! Thanks for posting this imill!

When punching stitching holes make sure the holes on your back side are the same size as the ones on the front. If the thickest part of your awl doesn't go through the entire item your back side holes will be smaller than the front. The back side may just be a small hole and not that nice diamond shape.

Thanks, w.deast, that makes sense............just hadn't thought of it. I'll be sure to make sure I get those holes all the way through as you've suggested.

Back