Recommendation? Diamond stones for tsprof Kadet/Hapstone

I would go for the Venev Centaur set (or Ursa set) if I were you. I have and use all of the Venev stones, and yes the Orion set is nice with the aluminum back plate, but your value for money is MUCH better with a set of Centaur or Ursa stones. The stones and composition are exactly the same as the Orion, only they are double sided. The TSProf Kadet that you're looking at, comes with optional universal stone holders (check with Gritomatic before buying and make sure you get the "Improved universal stone holders").

Don't bother with the Suehiro G8 8000 for now, your finish on the 1200 or 1500 Venev stones will be superb already. Just go straight to your strops with diamond paste/emulsion from there.

Regarding your other question about the grit rating, Venev uses 2 ratings. Firstly, they use FEPA-F, and the second rating is the Russian GOST particle size rating for their diamond average size in microns. The GOST rating gives you average diamond particle size (microns) between the upper and lower range. For your info, the FEPA-F grit rating is also vastly different to Japanese JIS rating (Like on the Suehiro.) A Venev FEPA-F 1500 grit, would be about the same as a Japanese JIS 6000 Grit, FYI. This would traslate to the fact that the Venev 1500 is not much different to the Suehiro 8K. The Vanadium carbides in your Rex 45 and M390 also sharpens much better with diamond stones.
Thank you for the reply. I'm likely going with the kadet black with improved universal stone holder. I'm a little confused with venev centaur/orion beta set (25% or 100% ocb) so I will give gritomatic a call. Sounds like it would be better to have the higher grits in 25% as they apparently give a smoother finish.

Thank you for the reply. I'm likely going with the kadet black with improved universal stone holder. I'm a little confused with venev centaur/orion beta set (25% or 100% ocb) so I will give gritomatic a call. Sounds like it would be better to have the higher grits in 25% as they apparently give a smoother finish.
They are phasing out the lower percentage ones. All will be 100% soon. Don't bother getting the 25%, they are slower and of no real benefit.

The 25% concentration stones were supposed to leave fewer then the 100% and the idea was that guys who do mirror edge's would buy the 25% but the 100% don't leave that many more scratch's then the 25%

If you haven't purchased a sharpener yet I would consider getting a sharpener that use's edge pro format stones as they are longer then KME stones,I had a KME and it's not as good or fast as using a sharpener like a Kadet or a K03 or an edge pro.

The 25% concentration stones were supposed to leave fewer then the 100% and the idea was that guys who do mirror edge's would buy the 25% but the 100% don't leave that many more scratch's then the 25%

If you haven't purchased a sharpener yet I would consider getting a sharpener that use's edge pro format stones as they are longer then KME stones,I had a KME and it's not as good or fast as using a sharpener like a Kadet or a K03 or an edge pro.
Thanks. I considered KME-much less money and I know many people get great results. However, I like the construction of the TSPROFs, longer stones… I also really like the hapstone as well.
Thanks for the info

I also really like the hapstone as well.

I have most of the systems, including KME, the TSPROF Kadet, the K03 and many Hapstone systems.

I can vouch for and would recommend the Hapstone R2 more than the Kadet. It's a less finicky and nicer system than the Kadet, and when you've taken it down for storage, it's not much bigger than the Kadet. If you're looking at getting one of these system, forget about the KME. The others are far superior.

I have most of the systems, including KME, the TSPROF Kadet, the K03 and many Hapstone systems.

I can vouch for and would recommend the Hapstone R2 more than the Kadet. It's a less finicky and nicer system than the Kadet, and when you've taken it down for storage, it's not much bigger than the Kadet. If you're looking at getting one of these system, forget about the KME. The others are far superior.
I love the fine tune adjuster on the Hapstone and it's been around longer than the Kadet but I will be keeping my system in the house (my office) and working on my knives in the house and in the garage sometimes. When I go on extended hunting, fishing trips I will perhaps take it with me as well as to friends houses. This is why I lean towards the Kadet. I bought a Kanuk 920 for storage and transport as well. If I were going to put a system in the garage set up, and staying that way, I would just go TSPROF KO3 but space is limited. I have not put my order through though as I am constantly bouncing between Hapstone and Kadet. I appreciate your advice as it's always nice to hear from someone who uses all the systems.

When I go on extended hunting, fishing trips I will perhaps take it with me as well as to friends houses
After reading your position i fully understand your predicament regarding space, but it is so much easier if you can set up whatever system you decide to go with and have it set up permanently in a designated space. You can still move it around but wont have to keep dismantling it and packing it away. But as far as when you go away camping, fishing and hunting, if you sharpen your knives before you go all you need is maintenance, if i can make a suggestion, i would look at getting a Lansky crock-stix, or a Idahone small camping sharpener, same design as the Lansky. These are great compact little sharpeners for just touching up edges while you're away. They are great to keep in a kitchen drawer when not camping for touching up your knives as well. I have both, they are inexpensive and give me 4 angles, 15 deg., 20 deg., 22.5 deg., and 25 deg., these angles will cover most knives and situations. If you need any more info., feel free to ask. Have a good 'un.:thumbsup::)

After reading your position i fully understand your predicament regarding space, but it is so much easier if you can set up whatever system you decide to go with and have it set up permanently in a designated space. You can still move it around but wont have to keep dismantling it and packing it away. But as far as when you go away camping, fishing and hunting, if you sharpen your knives before you go all you need is maintenance, if i can make a suggestion, i would look at getting a Lansky crock-stix, or a Idahone small camping sharpener, same design as the Lansky. These are great compact little sharpeners for just touching up edges while you're away. They are great to keep in a kitchen drawer when not camping for touching up your knives as well. I have both, they are inexpensive and give me 4 angles, 15 deg., 20 deg., 22.5 deg., and 25 deg., these angles will cover most knives and situations. If you need any more info., feel free to ask. Have a good 'un.:thumbsup::)
Thanks. Makes sense and I have a sharpmaker I could use for touchups too. I hate making decisions. Lol

Haha, I was looking at that one. Do you think it has any advantages/disadvantages when compared to the Kadet?
Honestly, I find the Kadet (and the Blitz) very finicky to adjust angles because of the arc of angular adjustment. It looks really cool but the type of system TSProf uses on both the Kadet and Blitz is not optimal for this purpose. It takes at least 4-5 adjustments back and forth, resetting the angle cube every time again to get your angle every time you want to change your sharpening angle.

The issue is this - you zero your angle cube on your stone holder (different to other systems), then you place your angle cube on the plane of the knife clamps while adjusting the angle to your desired angle. The major problem here, is because of the angular deflection due to blade width you actually also change your zero reference angle when you adjust the sharpening angle and you have to go back to zero'ing your angle cube again on the stone holder. After zero'ing, you have to go back to measuring the angle on the sharpening plane again, only to find it is different again (because you needed to re-zero your cube), so you adjust the angle again, thereby messing up the zero angle again and you chase your tail round and round until you finally have a small enough angle change to get it perfect. After changing stones you have to compensate for the angle change again, and the whole process starts all over to get the angle tuned in.

The Hapstone, the K03, and the Kazak uses the plane of the vertical rod to adjust your angle, so you zero your cube only once on the angle the blade is clamped and measure the change in angle on top of the stone holders. One-and-done.

Best value for money and excellent quality is the Hapstone R2.

Best innovative system with good accessories and excellent quality (including a light system and many more) is the Kazak Pro Black edition.

TSProf K03 is also definitely a great system, but the accessories are very expensive and its total size is very big.

You'll get your knife equally sharp with any of these 3 systems.

If you want a very good budget option, I designed the Leading Edge sharpening system and made it available for free. All you need is access to a 3D printer and some basic hardware to make yourself one. Here are some links:

Last edited:
Honestly, I find the Kadet (and the Blitz) very finicky to adjust angles because of the arc of angular adjustment. It looks really cool but the type of system TSProf uses on both the Kadet and Blitz is not optimal for this purpose. It takes at least 4-5 adjustments back and forth, resetting the angle cube every time again to get your angle every time you want to change your sharpening angle.

The issue is this - you zero your angle cube on your stone holder (different to other systems), then you place your angle cube on the plane of the knife clamps while adjusting the angle to your desired angle. The major problem here, is because of the angular deflection due to blade width you actually also change your zero reference angle when you adjust the sharpening angle and you have to go back to zero'ing your angle cube again on the stone holder. After zero'ing, you have to go back to measuring the angle on the sharpening plane again, only to find it is different again (because you needed to re-zero your cube), so you adjust the angle again, thereby messing up the zero angle again and you chase your tail round and round until you finally have a small enough angle change to get it perfect. After changing stones you have to compensate for the angle change again, and the whole process starts all over to get the angle tuned in.

The Hapstone, the K03, and the Kazak uses the plane of the vertical rod to adjust your angle, so you zero your cube only once on the angle the blade is clamped and measure the change in angle on top of the stone holders. One-and-done.

Best value for money and excellent quality is the Hapstone R2.

Best innovative system with good accessories and excellent quality (including a light system and many more) is the Kazak Pro Black edition.

TSProf K03 is also definitely a great system, but the accessories are very expensive and its total size is very big.

You'll get your knife equally sharp with any of these 3 systems.

If you want a very good budget option, I designed the Leading Edge sharpening system and made it available for free. All you need is access to a 3D printer and some basic hardware to make yourself one. Here are some links:

Your leading edge sharpening system looks really cool. Question: do you need to rezero after changing stones on the kadet or just use the stone thickness compensator? Definitely see where hapstone, kazak and k03 have easier adjustment. I'm going to revisit the kazak

Your leading edge sharpening system looks really cool. Question: do you need to rezero after changing stones on the kadet or just use the stone thickness compensator? Definitely see where hapstone, kazak and k03 have easier adjustment. I'm going to revisit the kazak
You can use the stone thickness compensator, but personally I prefer an angle cube. When using any stone thickness compensator and depending on the grit and type of stone, it can get stuck a bit between the stone thickness compensator and the top guide. When you wiggle it out, can sometimes affect the angle enough not to be accurate.

You can use the stone thickness compensator, but personally I prefer an angle cube. When using any stone thickness compensator and depending on the grit and type of stone, it can get stuck a bit between the stone thickness compensator and the top guide. When you wiggle it out, can sometimes affect the angle enough not to be accurate.
May go hapstone r2 standard and wait to see if tsprof addresses the kadet shortcomings or just live with it. Hmmm… or make a spot in the garage for a k03. I should have put this much thought into getting married 🤣

May go hapstone r2 standard and wait to see if tsprof addresses the kadet shortcomings or just live with it. Hmmm… or make a spot in the garage for a k03. I should have put this much thought into getting married 🤣
😂 So many choices.
The R2 Standard would be the best choice in the R2 series, those angled clamps are very versatile. If you go for it, make sure to get a fine tuning adapter for it also.

For sure and stoppers too (whatever they”re called)

Here are some side by side pics for you of my R2 vs Kadet side by side, taken down for storage.
Screenshot_20220113-150720.pngScreenshot_20220113-150617.jpg

Back