Recommendation? Diamond stones for tsprof Kadet/Hapstone

Thanks. BTW does the hapstone stone holder securely hold stones like the venev centaur in place?
Yes, the new generation Hapstone stone holders have a little bit of "pivot" in them to compensate for rectangular stones. Just set the front clamp far enough back to make the most of your spring tension.

If you ever feel you want even more grippiness to non-backed rectangular stones, then cut a small strip of Gorilla crystal clear tape and stick it on both ends of the stone. It gives a little rubbery texture to the end of the stones, which help even more for grip in various stone holders. It should not be necessary for the new Hapstone holders, but it helps if you ever want to use them on other holders.

Yes, the new generation Hapstone stone holders have a little bit of "pivot" in them to compensate for rectangular stones. Just set the front clamp far enough back to make the most of your spring tension.

If you ever feel you want even more grippiness to non-backed rectangular stones, then cut a small strip of Gorilla crystal clear tape and stick it on both ends of the stone. It gives a little rubbery texture to the end of the stones, which help even more for grip in various stone holders. It should not be necessary for the new Hapstone holders, but it helps if you ever want to use them on other holders.
Okay thanks. I also read about the Gorilla Tape solution on a forum (maybe it was you)

Cheers

I have a Wicked Edge with the solid clamps (only one side moves). I just watched a video recommending the TSProf Blitz 360. I like it's ability to clamp odd-shaped blades at low angles. I saw where you said they are tempormental, and require multiple adjustments. Would the Kazak or Hapstone be able to clamp the odd/small knives at low angles? Would one complement a Wicked Edge by being able to do the blades it can't do easily?

I have a Wicked Edge with the solid clamps (only one side moves). I just watched a video recommending the TSProf Blitz 360. I like it's ability to clamp odd-shaped blades at low angles. I saw where you said they are tempormental, and require multiple adjustments. Would the Kazak or Hapstone be able to clamp the odd/small knives at low angles? Would one complement a Wicked Edge by being able to do the blades it can't do easily?
Absolutely. With the availability of various clamp types (thin, short, long, narrow, whole milled, spring steel etc.) for these systems and being able to use multiple clamps when needed, it gives much more versatility than a Wicked Edge system can ever give you.

As an example, if you buy a Hapstone R2 and get yourself the Wholemilled fillet clamps, or Small Lite clamps, you can sharpen smaller blades easily. If you want to sharpen a long fillet knive, then simply use 2 Wholemilled fillet clamps to stabilize and support the blade.

Absolutely. With the availability of various clamp types (thin, short, long, narrow, whole milled, spring steel etc.) for these systems and being able to use multiple clamps when needed, it gives much more versatility than a Wicked Edge system can ever give you.

As an example, if you buy a Hapstone R2 and get yourself the Wholemilled fillet clamps, or Small Lite clamps, you can sharpen smaller blades easily. If you want to sharpen a long fillet knive, then simply use 2 Wholemilled fillet clamps to stabilize and support the blade.
Thank you for the advice! I will order one with the 'lite' clamps and the angled clamps.

Thank you for the advice! I will order one with the 'lite' clamps and the angled clamps.
Great choice, I think you'll love it. Let us know how you like it when you have used it!

Update. So I was ready to order a sharpener from Gritomatic (Kadet, R2, or K03) As much as I cringe at the cost once converted of the sharpener, stones, strops, shipping.... I have another issue. With the Canadian government mandating the vaccine for all truckers entering Canada, I don't think I'd ever receive my goods. I can order the TSPROF here but the markup is insane and I can't really find the stones, strops...I need up here. Ahhhh!! It was so easy two years ago when I could just order to my Point Roberts Mail box and pick it up. :mad:

You’re assuming something that may not be true. I would think that the major carriers like FedEx, UPS, and USPS have figured out how to get goods into Canada.

You’re assuming something that may not be true. I would think that the major carriers like FedEx, UPS, and USPS have figured out how to get goods into Canada.
That may be true but considering the issues that could arise, I’m likely holding off. UPS broker fees at the border are ridiculous and USPS will take forever to get it to the border and then pass it off to snail mail (canpost) hopefully I’m wrong.

Update. So I was ready to order a sharpener from Gritomatic (Kadet, R2, or K03) As much as I cringe at the cost once converted of the sharpener, stones, strops, shipping.... I have another issue. With the Canadian government mandating the vaccine for all truckers entering Canada, I don't think I'd ever receive my goods. I can order the TSPROF here but the markup is insane and I can't really find the stones, strops...I need up here. Ahhhh!! It was so easy two years ago when I could just order to my Point Roberts Mail box and pick it up. :mad:
Is the border still closed between the US and Canada? Don't they allow you to go to Point Roberts?

Is the border still closed between the US and Canada? Don't they allow you to go to Point Roberts?
I believe at the moment if you go to point Roberts you still have to get a test. The other issue is I’m not vaccinated so I can’t go anyways. I thought about ordering something to point Roberts and getting my father-in-law to pick it up but they seem to change the rules every week so I just don’t think it’s worth it right now. If gritomatic could ship via air it wouldn’t be an issue But I don’t think they’re able to do that. I sent a question to Support and I’m waiting for a response.

I believe at the moment if you go to point Roberts you still have to get a test. The other issue is I’m not vaccinated so I can’t go anyways. I thought about ordering something to point Roberts and getting my father-in-law to pick it up but they seem to change the rules every week so I just don’t think it’s worth it right now. If gritomatic could ship via air it wouldn’t be an issue But I don’t think they’re able to do that. I sent a question to Support and I’m waiting for a response.
Gritomatic has always been very good at getting back to me with communication, I'm sure they can make a plan for you.

Great choice, I think you'll love it. Let us know how you like it when you have used it!
You were right! I received the Hapstone R2 with the lite and standard clamps. The 'lite' clamps can easily grip the difficult ones (Spyderco Dragonfly FFG, for example). Thank you for the good advice you provide for us who prefer systems vs. freehand.

You were right! I received the Hapstone R2 with the lite and standard clamps. The 'lite' clamps can easily grip the difficult ones (Spyderco Dragonfly FFG, for example). Thank you for the good advice you provide for us who prefer systems vs. freehand.
My pleasure! It's a great system and will serve you well for many years to come.

Back