Did Chris Reeve do the unthinkable? - Big Changes Sebenza

For whatever it's worth, I just picked up a Large 31 Bog Oak with a 6-21-2021 date card, and with the blasted finish. I think it looks fine, although I also like the polished finish as well. At this point I don't personally have a preference, although for the orders I have in I was given the choice of keeping the polished finish, which I did. Ask me next year if I have a new preference ;-) For what it's worth, new and old

View attachment 1589340

First of all -- congrats on the new 31! Love the 21, as well. ;)

Your 31 does indeed look fine with the blasted finish. My own theory is that this is largely due to the fact that the inlay on the 31 takes up much more real estate, so very little of the frame is left exposed.

In contrast, the 21 features much more of the frame exposed and really benefits from the polished finish, in my view. All a matter of personal taste, of course -- but, this distinction may have played into CRK's decision to go with the blasted finish on the 31 going forward.

For whatever it's worth, I just picked up a Large 31 Bog Oak with a 6-21-2021 date card, and with the blasted finish. I think it looks fine, although I also like the polished finish as well. At this point I don't personally have a preference, although for the orders I have in I was given the choice of keeping the polished finish, which I did. Ask me next year if I have a new preference ;-) For what it's worth, new and old

View attachment 1589340
You know I still haven't warmed up these new style inlays. Probably why I haven't bought a 31 inlay.

You know I still haven't warmed up these new style inlays. Probably why I haven't bought a 31 inlay.

I was team 2 piece as well. So much so that I opted for a Large Inkosi inlay over a new 31 but ended up with a 31 natural micarta anyway. After owning the 1 piece it feels great in hand and looks really good as well.

I go back and forth, but mostly it depends on the price of the one for sale in front of me ;-) and now we add blasted or polished to the mix 😁

As we see in a lot of our hobbies and in work. Prices are increasing, be it labor or materials. It’s just the way the economy works, especially for made in the USA items. I’m happy to support US manufacturers. I might buy less or less frequently and I’m willing to pay for quality.

I’m not a knife maker or really know anything about the knife industry other than the user end. I’m an electrician and our prices have raised. Mainly because of material costs. They’re at an all time high. I paid $100 for ten foot sticks of 2inch rigid conduit last week. Anyone who knows pricing knows that is sky high. Wire and all conduit are through the roof, that’s even if you can get it with all the manufacturing backed up.

USA made items are always higher priced and I’m ok with that, if they’re good quality. I’m not the cheapest guy on the block but I do use quality materials and do a quality job.

As far as CRK raising the price I don’t put much thought into it. I personally was never the biggest fan of the polished slabs and if I ever buy another wood inlay my choice will be the blasted slabs by a landslide. And if we’re honest all of us can justify paying the prices we pay for CRKs already so what’s a little more

Interesting topic.
Do you remember when CRK droped the polished version on the wood inlays.
The flats on the handle as well as the blade were polished.
When this features were droped, the price did not drop.
So this is a smart move, as charging more for extra features is not a price increase.
;)

Speaking on price increases. I don’t see why they wouldn’t increase prices. Housing is up 30% pretty much across the nation. Steel is up about 100% lumber 400% ammunition 100% if you can find it, corn is up 40%. These increases will affect every aspect of our lives. I’m surprised they haven’t already increased prices on all their knives.

Speaking on price increases. I don’t see why they wouldn’t increase prices. Housing is up 30% pretty much across the nation. Steel is up about 100% lumber 400% ammunition 100% if you can find it, corn is up 40%. These increases will affect every aspect of our lives. I’m surprised they haven’t already increased prices on all their knives.
With corn being +40% , that means whiskey is more expensive so the owners son has to pass on the cost

Lots of Large inlays with S45vn just listed at KSF... All sandblasted, no polish. Seems like a cruel change to do at the exact time that they finally put S45vn in the Large.

For my tastes it sorta looks OK with the darker woods, but it's all wrong with the Box Elder. Personally, I was hoping for the opposite and maybe now I can get a micarta with polished slabs?

I never minded the micarta being blasted... have a user like that that just seems "right". But at this point I still favor the polished for the wood inlays. Just my .02 and subject to change as I "get used" to the change.

I like the polished look with the wood inlays, especially with lighter colored wood. However, I think the blasted slabs will wear better. IMO scratches on the polished slabs looks aweful and marks on the blasted surfaces look fine.

I have basic Sebenza large from June 2021 and a Sebenza large with Bog Oak inlay from July 2021. Although the BO is not polished the finish is smoother than the basic Sebenza, feels more comfortable in the hand but I like that I can have spa treatment on the basic handle versus the wood inlay.

Pricing themselves right out of the market. They are no longer the best knives for the $$ anyways and now going to charge even more. CRK has become a William Henry of sorts at this point.

And unfortunately, it's carrying over to the exclusives... I seriously LOVED the polished/CF look. Really sad it looks like we may never see it again unless CRK starts offering CF inlays and you pay extra for the polish?

kXuB9Ej.png

And unfortunately, it's carrying over to the exclusives... I seriously LOVED the polished/CF look. Really sad it looks like we may never see it again unless CRK starts offering CF inlays and you pay extra for the polish?

kXuB9Ej.png
Those ones also had polished drop points. Looks like they're stonewashed now.

Back