did I just ruin my 2.7 ?

Just bought a new sharpening system and started at 20° after a couple minutes I felt like I was completely committed it came out great but I'm afraid I have threatened it's integrity . .. any thoughts , please take it easy on me ,thx

First of all, we gotta have some pictures!!! I'm not the expert in these parts on sharpening angles but I'd wager you didn't ruin it!

First of all, we gotta have some pictures!!! I'm not the expert in these parts on sharpening angles but I'd wager you didn't ruin it!
uhhh can't figure out how to post pictures 😐the more I look at this edge the more I think it's gonna chip just by looking at it the wrong way

Are you talking about 20 degrees inclusive (total) or 20 degrees per side? The factory edge is 20 per side.

I've really liked imgur for sharing pics. I have the app on my phone and with a few presses (and copying and pasting) I can get pics to the forum pretty easily. It's your thread so if you want to derail slightly to figure out pic sharing I'd be happy to help!

20 inclusive may be on the thin side but you know its thin. What steel is it? Just be easy on it. If you want to toughen it up throw a 30 inclusive micro bevel on it. Basically this will moderate some of the chip and roll potential but allow you to take advatage of the thinned out shoulder of the edge. It should perform quite well. Remember, its a 2.7, not a 7/7! Its not something you are going to be blasting through seasoned wood. Its a small chore cutter/food/edc knife.

Only one way to find out... us it. If it chips, go back to 30 degrees (inclusive) with a 40 degree micro. It's not ruined beyond repair.

Man this is great I'm so glad I have bf in situations like this. I appreciate all responses. So it's very thin and this secondary bevel sounds intriguing so I'm gonna go for it. I feel like the factory bevel was closer to 35 degrees per side ? I'm surprised it's not included w the specifications on the survive site. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that I cherish my sk's and even though they are users I love the way it came from the factory (perfect in every way ) it hurts to look at it a little now

In the FAQ section on the sight it says that all blades are around 20 degrees per side. Smaller blades are thinner and larger blades a little thicker.

I aim for for about 20 degrees per side when hand sharpening.

With the GSO-2.7 being so small, the edge shoulder is thinner so it does seem a bit scalpel-esk once sharpened. We aim for 20 degrees per side on all the knives, including those, so from what you've said I think you should be fine. Some folks will go with a thicker or thinner geometry depending on what they are using the knife for, so that is entirely up to you folks if you decide to modify the edge. As with any cutting tool, just keep an eye on the edge as you're working with it.

Sfrigon1,

What kind of system did you use? After re-reading this thread, it is possible that you sharpened at 20 deg per side and just pushed the shoulder back. Its also possible that you sharpened at ten deg per side and thinned it out a good bit. Letting us know what system you used will help. Pics would be even better.

Riz

Then you won't need to thin it out once you've put some miles on it. :)
Like TR said, use the knife and if you have edge stability problems just put on a small bevel at a higher angle.
Please let us know how it holds up in case anybody else is thinking about thinning a 2.7 to increase the slicing performance.

Use a black marker put on the factory edge,set your sharpening system with a few strokes looking if it touches the blackened edge

Kind regards,Jurgen .

Then you won't need to thin it out once you've put some miles on it. :)
Like TR said, use the knife and if you have edge stability problems just put on a small bevel at a higher angle.
Please let us know how it holds up in case anybody else is thinking about thinning a 2.7 to increase the slicing performance.
I'll tell you what it looks pretty cool and it does slice like a champ now , I'll let you know how it holds up . Thanks again for the help

Use a black marker put on the factory edge,set your sharpening system with a few strokes looking if it touches the blackened edge

Kind regards,Jurgen .

This has worked really well for me. Even if you're not trying to keep the current edge angle, it can be a really helpful visual.

Back