Did some cutting yesterday....

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
It's been a while.

Due to many issues, the dojo where I trained for 15 years no longer teaches Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai heiho.

My Senpai(6th Dan) and I got together for casual tameshigiri yesterday...that is not getting dressed up in traditional garb to do do, just shorts.

We cut four single mat rolls in rokudan giri pattern. I usually start from the right.

1. Downward(hidari) kesa right to left
2-3. Downward(migi) kesa left to right(2x)
4. Upward diagonal(gyaku kesa) from right to left
5. Downward(migi) kesa left to right
6. Horizontal(yoko) cut from right to left
20funog.gif

(photo from toyamaryu.org)

This is proper tameshigiri for training skill and spirit. I handed my wife who has cut one time before a katana and she executed two very good hidari kesa cuts with maybe 30 seconds of instruction. Something like a well executed gyaku kesa or yoko cut is significantly more difficult. Our focus was on the totality of what we have trained so diligently for....timing, distance, angle, extension, sword control and speed.
vyps21.jpg

We had to cut the stands down to 24" high and re-drill the ana for the mat peg, so that is why the hand tools are in the photo.

The swords I used were a 29" custom L6 through tempered katana by ABS MS Bailey Bradshaw who no longer makes many knives or swords, but instead focuses on double rifles. The other is a CAS Hanwei Tiger Elite.

Both swords perfomed well, and there were no missed cuts, and only one failure out of perhaps 50 cuts that did not completely through the roll.
k04lqt.jpg

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Very cool, STeven. I bet it's a joy to cut with that Bradshaw piece. I always wanted a fancy bowie from him, but he quit making blades before I could get financially stable enough to afford one.

Just last night I finally took the time to put a decent edge on my Albion Munich; I need to try some cutting exercises with it one of these days.

Thanks Possum.

It is exceptionally cool to cut with the Bradshaw, don't even know if Bailey has one of his own swords to use!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

DAMN that looks like fun!

I'd love to be around some one who was willing to give instruction.

Not that I have the money for it.

There are a few you tube posts from what appears to ba a Japanese dojo (not sure if thst is even the appropriate word for a sword training school over there) that have several long videos showing all the failures, (over rhe course of months) and one showing all the successes in cutting practice that I enjoy very much.

Without all the failures to watch, and how much practice is out into it, you can't appreciate how difficult the successful, effortless looking combination cuts are.

I'd love to be around some one who was willing to give instruction.

Not that I have the money for it.

There are a few you tube posts from what appears to ba a Japanese dojo (not sure if that is even the appropriate word for a sword training school over there) that have several long videos showing all the failures, (over rhe course of months) and one showing all the successes in cutting practice that I enjoy very much.

It is

Without all the failures to watch, and how much practice is out into it, you can't appreciate how difficult the successful, effortless looking combination cuts are.

It is the failures, especially in competition, that drive your skill and resolve to do better!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Back