Did you ever break a knife? Any pics of broken knives?

If you ever broke a knife or know someone who did - I'd like to hear more about how it happened.
Pictures are also welcome :)

This thread is not created to bash any of the brands.

My motive behind this thread is curiosity, also you can possibly prevent someone from breaking their knife by telling them what not to do. Any knife will break when submitted to enough abuse, this thread could help people determine how much is too much.

Absolutely.
This was the result of my first time batoning.
cnwPUaL.jpg

And this was ... I can't even remember. Don't think I was doing something that would have caused this.

UVYREjr.jpg

When I was a teenager my hunting buddy tried to hack off the antlers of the buck I shot with my knife- (Grandpa’s KaBar) It destroyed the edge really bad. If I can dig it out I’ll take a pic. Although not quite as bad as the pic in post 1 but not far from that.

i have broke a couple of cheap folders and 2 sak pushing them to far no pics did it years ago but did melt a bit out my blade cutting throught live wire didn't know it was live running off hidden battary I had disconnected from the mains I was ripping out an old stair lift for the first time I was not happy at the time lol hear is a pic
http://imgur.com/a/GXoinQ4

I have buggered up edges and chipped edges but I have not actually broken a knife. I am not easy on my blades, but I won't use a knife that I don't think is up to the task at hand. It isn't a guarantee, but so far so good.

I broke the tip off of my Spyderco when taking the lid off off a paint can. Still have the knife after fixing the blade by regranting the tip.

I broke an Opinel number 8 and my friend broke his Opinel number 7.

My number 8 broke with a crack in the wood where the steel bolster is mounted on the two thin fingers of wood that the whole shebang is mounted on. The wood cracked right where it was drilled for the pivot pin, and it got very wobbly and non reparable. Tossed in the trash can.

My friend Danny, who in truth is a big guy 6' 4" and 250lbs, snapped off his number 7 clean at the step where the wood is turned down for the bolster and locking ring. The whole blade-bolster-locking ring came clean off where the wood was turned down to slide on the metal assembly.

Never used an Opinel again for anything more than light penknife duty.

had a normark big swede, carried and used for many years was my only knife I’d owned. One day 1984 pulled from my pocket and the scales just fell apart in many pieces. Remerorable because like I said it was my fist and only knife. Went on a search and a buck 110 was my folder until I joined this evil site, now I change up more than I change my underwear:p

In the mid 1980's I broke 2 Gerber's trying to cut frozen chicken breasts. One was a Gerber Muskie fillet knife and the other was a white handled Gerber folder from the early 1980's. I was leaning on them with great force trying to cut the frozen solid chicken breast in half. I probably broke both in a 6-9 month stretch. I was in my first apartment and using the tools on hand. I stopped doing it when the second knife snapped.

Both knives sheared mid point in the blade. It was a clean crystalline break without any bending- A clean snap. The chicken breasts were frozen solid.

Gerber replaced both without question and even re-profiled the broken Muskie to a wonderful paring knife which I still have.

In the mid 1980's I broke 2 Gerber's trying to cut frozen chicken breasts. One was a Gerber Muskie fillet knife and the other was a white handled Gerber folder from the early 1980's. I was leaning on them with great force trying to cut the frozen solid chicken breast in half. I probably broke both in a 6-9 month stretch. I was in my first apartment and using the tools on hand. I stopped doing it when the second knife snapped.

Both knives sheared mid point in the blade. It was a clean crystalline break without any bending- A clean snap. The chicken breasts were frozen solid.

Gerber replaced both without question and even re-profiled the broken Muskie to a wonderful paring knife which I still have.
Now that's a good customer service.

I've snapped the tip off a bunch of ZTs and Kershaws I've pried with. Only 2 required a blade replacement as I snapped those pretty badly. Totally my fault as steel hatch doors and 2 hr rated fire doors probably require more substantial tools...so being stupid isn't really recommended when using knives.

Back