1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Did you ever break a knife? Any pics of broken knives?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Smiling, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Now this makes me sad, when knives break from a single drop.
    Yeah, this one is very obvious. That will snap off the tip of almost any knife.

But it's still some experience.

2. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I intentionally snapped the blade of one once. I didn't want to take a chance of someone "rescuing" it from the land fill.
    When I was young, I threw a few then "Made in Japan" "Knife Shaped Objects" into the Mississippi River from the middle of the old US Highway 136 bridge. (I think that company has its knife shaped objects made in Pakistan or Afghanistan now.)

Since we're not supposed to bash any company (no matter how much they have earned it) I won't mention the two brand names involved.
    (HINT: One starts with "FROS" the one intentionally snapped starts with "GERB")

3. kylemiller

kylemiller Basic Member Basic Member

May 18, 2016
    Don't have pics because the knives are long gone but I managed to bend the female pivot in a Kershaw Emerson CQC-6 in moderate use. Knife went off center, couldn't figure out why, too, it apart and the pivot was bent. Sent it in for repair, got a new one back and that pivot bent in short order too. Just from using at work. Not even bushcrafting. Might have been the force of waving it open? IDK. Only knife it's even happened to, and also my only waved knife .

4. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I know a guy who snapped something like a pin which was stopping the blade for going backwards after 180°, he simply pressed it to cut through cardboard and that vacuum seal plastic package and... it didn't go so well. That knife apparently cost him around 30€ online, with another 7€ for shipping but I don't remember the brand, I think it said K25 on it, it had glass breaker at the bottom too. But that is around the same price I paid for Cold Steel Drop Forged Hunter, and ironically I carried Drop Forged Hunter that day and I cut through that package without an issue.
    I was never fond of folders as fixed blades are stronger, simpler and faster to use and easier to maintain. But I do admit that folders do have the charm of their own.
    There's so many things that can go wrong with folders as there are moving parts, but that also makes you appreciate a well made folder even more.

5. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Gosh...that hurts to look at :p:D

6. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    If tips count...
    A friend of mine snapped the tip off of his para 2, can’t remember exactly what he was prying on. I did regrind the spine for him.
    5DA06CF3-6A51-4617-892C-B23951E0AB19.jpeg
    My wife dropped my Yo2 while the blade was open onto porcelain tile and snapped the tip off. CharlieMike did the regrind on it for me.
    554F73A8-6F7B-45D0-8DDF-03A7BFFEDE41.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Smiling and Korean Hog like this.
  7. Tetsujin 140.6

Tetsujin 140.6

Jan 4, 2011
  8. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Not since I was 17. I had a cheap flea market Valor butterfly knife that I tried prying with. About 2 inches of blade broke off. I learned from that and it hasn't happened since.

9. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    That needs to go in the quote thread in the place of which we do not speak.

Wife. Yes. She was using a large chef's knife to dig hard frozen ice cream out of a container and snapped the tip off trying to wedge some out. I consider that usage abuse. My wife is awesome, but she is not tool friendly. I have many stories.

I've carried and used knives for ~60 years. I've never had a blade break. The only failures I've personally had were two back spring failures on two different pocket knives. One was a Buck 703. They got the heat treat wrong on the very first batch they made in '79 and a lot of folks ended up with broken springs. The other was a Queen Cattle King. D2 blades and I think the springs were D2 also. I've heard of several folks who had springs break on a Cattle King.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  10. SwiftDream

SwiftDream

Nov 22, 2009
    This is far different than your original narrative.

11. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    A broken Spyderco always breaks mah heart.

It’s interesting that all Spydie failures I’ve seen so far break at the thumbhole. I wouldn’t worry about breaking the knife under normal use though, i.e. opening packages and chopping fruit.

Smiling likes this.
  12. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    That's a lot of money for package opener :D

jacksterp, Scott J. and DangerZone98 like this.
  13. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Well, first one here, and I wouldn't have made it if it wasn't for help from my girlfriend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    I've never broken a knife but I've never had a situation where it would have been likely. I'm a right tool for the job kinda guy.

15. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    The knife up there has a story.

It was mine.
    Then my GF wanted it and I gave it to her.
    She was throwing it when she was bored, and she used it as pry bar later and bent it.
    Anyways it broke when I tried to baton it's tip into a stump to try to straighten it out.

16. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    Yeah, I read that post. My rule #1 is NEVER to give my wife a firearm or knife. That's the secret to my 43 years of marriage... ;)

Smiling likes this.
  17. Coiloil37

Coiloil37

Dec 2, 2013
    I broke about 1/8” off the tip off a paramilitary 2 in S110V prying a screen up out of its track on a window. Then a couple weeks later I was using the same knife to cut a frozen pilchard up for bait and it snapped across the spydie hole exactly like in the photo on the first page of this thread.

Smiling likes this.
  18. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    As you can see, this Boker also broke on the place where is the hole on the tang. I'd understand if there was a screw or something on that spot, but it's not. So I struggle to understand why did they put a hole on some random place on the tang. They simply created structural weak point for no good reason.

19. BillZee

BillZee

Apr 30, 2020
    I have broken tips off knives. Usually prying when a knife was all I had. I tend to not buy a carry knife with a very pointy tip. One thing I know if you carry& use them some will get damaged, some will get lost. Always good to have better around.

Smiling likes this.