Did you ever break a knife? Any pics of broken knives?

I dropped a Wusthof Chef's knife on a concrete floor breaking it in half.
Now this makes me sad, when knives break from a single drop.
I've snapped the tip off a bunch of ZTs and Kershaws I've pried with. Only 2 required a blade replacement as I snapped those pretty badly. Totally my fault as steel hatch doors and 2 hr rated fire doors probably require more substantial tools...so being stupid isn't really recommended when using knives.
Yeah, this one is very obvious. That will snap off the tip of almost any knife.

But it's still some experience.

I intentionally snapped the blade of one once. I didn't want to take a chance of someone "rescuing" it from the land fill.
When I was young, I threw a few then "Made in Japan" "Knife Shaped Objects" into the Mississippi River from the middle of the old US Highway 136 bridge. (I think that company has its knife shaped objects made in Pakistan or Afghanistan now.)

Since we're not supposed to bash any company (no matter how much they have earned it) I won't mention the two brand names involved.
(HINT: One starts with "FROS" the one intentionally snapped starts with "GERB")

Don't have pics because the knives are long gone but I managed to bend the female pivot in a Kershaw Emerson CQC-6 in moderate use. Knife went off center, couldn't figure out why, too, it apart and the pivot was bent. Sent it in for repair, got a new one back and that pivot bent in short order too. Just from using at work. Not even bushcrafting. Might have been the force of waving it open? IDK. Only knife it's even happened to, and also my only waved knife .

Don't have pics because the knives are long gone but I managed to bend the female pivot in a Kershaw Emerson CQC-6 in moderate use. Knife went off center, couldn't figure out why, too, it apart and the pivot was bent. Sent it in for repair, got a new one back and that pivot bent in short order too. Just from using at work. Not even bushcrafting. Might have been the force of waving it open? IDK. Only knife it's even happened to, and also my only waved knife .
I know a guy who snapped something like a pin which was stopping the blade for going backwards after 180°, he simply pressed it to cut through cardboard and that vacuum seal plastic package and... it didn't go so well. That knife apparently cost him around 30€ online, with another 7€ for shipping but I don't remember the brand, I think it said K25 on it, it had glass breaker at the bottom too. But that is around the same price I paid for Cold Steel Drop Forged Hunter, and ironically I carried Drop Forged Hunter that day and I cut through that package without an issue.
I was never fond of folders as fixed blades are stronger, simpler and faster to use and easier to maintain. But I do admit that folders do have the charm of their own.
There's so many things that can go wrong with folders as there are moving parts, but that also makes you appreciate a well made folder even more.

Prying. Oops, I really thought it could take more. Not a lot of steel under the Spydie hole.
tvmwDHC.jpg
Gosh...that hurts to look at :p:D

If tips count...
A friend of mine snapped the tip off of his para 2, can’t remember exactly what he was prying on. I did regrind the spine for him.
5DA06CF3-6A51-4617-892C-B23951E0AB19.jpeg
My wife dropped my Yo2 while the blade was open onto porcelain tile and snapped the tip off. CharlieMike did the regrind on it for me.
554F73A8-6F7B-45D0-8DDF-03A7BFFEDE41.jpeg

Last edited:
Not since I was 17. I had a cheap flea market Valor butterfly knife that I tried prying with. About 2 inches of blade broke off. I learned from that and it hasn't happened since.

My wife can destroy any knife, she should have a YouTube channel.

That needs to go in the quote thread in the place of which we do not speak.

Wife. Yes. She was using a large chef's knife to dig hard frozen ice cream out of a container and snapped the tip off trying to wedge some out. I consider that usage abuse. My wife is awesome, but she is not tool friendly. I have many stories.

I've carried and used knives for ~60 years. I've never had a blade break. The only failures I've personally had were two back spring failures on two different pocket knives. One was a Buck 703. They got the heat treat wrong on the very first batch they made in '79 and a lot of folks ended up with broken springs. The other was a Queen Cattle King. D2 blades and I think the springs were D2 also. I've heard of several folks who had springs break on a Cattle King.

I broke an Opinel number 8 and my friend broke his Opinel number 7.

My number 8 broke with a crack in the wood where the steel bolster is mounted on the two thin fingers of wood that the whole shebang is mounted on. The wood cracked right where it was drilled for the pivot pin, and it got very wobbly and non reparable. Tossed in the trash can.

My friend Danny, who in truth is a big guy 6' 4" and 250lbs, snapped off his number 7 clean at the step where the wood is turned down for the bolster and locking ring. The whole blade-bolster-locking ring came clean off where the wood was turned down to slide on the metal assembly.

Never used an Opinel again for anything more than light penknife duty.

This is far different than your original narrative.

I've been fooling around with these things since 1982, and I've worked the heck out of them. Since they are a cheap, excuse me, low cost knife, I've leaned on them more than I would have a more costly knife. I have abused them. In all the time I've used Opinels, I've broken just one, and that was on purpose.

I was curious as to just how hard an Opinel could be pushed. I took a number 8 and hacked, pried, and even did some battening with it even though I consider the practice of that silly. Finally, after doing all that with no problem, I stuck the blade halfway in a vise, put a pipe over the handle and started to bend it. I was actually very surprised to see it make it to just past 45 degrees before snapping off even with the vise, leaving half the blade still usable. It actually took a good effort to bend it over enough to break, and I think that without the cheater pipe over the handle, it would have been hard to do by hand.

These are not delicate knives. You have to try to break them.

Carl.

Well, Spydie hole does create a weak point.

Catastrophic blade failure, even though people usually expect folders to have their handle as a weak point.
A broken Spyderco always breaks mah heart.

It’s interesting that all Spydie failures I’ve seen so far break at the thumbhole. I wouldn’t worry about breaking the knife under normal use though, i.e. opening packages and chopping fruit.

Well, first one here, and I wouldn't have made it if it wasn't for help from my girlfriend.

UdvGxwd.jpg

n2UPqtb.jpg

I've never broken a knife but I've never had a situation where it would have been likely. I'm a right tool for the job kinda guy.

I've never broken a knife but I've never had a situation where it would have been likely. I'm a right tool for the job kinda guy.
The knife up there has a story.

It was mine.
Then my GF wanted it and I gave it to her.
She was throwing it when she was bored, and she used it as pry bar later and bent it.
Anyways it broke when I tried to baton it's tip into a stump to try to straighten it out.

The knife up there has a story.

It was mine.
Then my GF wanted it and I gave it to her.
She was throwing it when she was bored, and she used it as pry bar later and bent it.
Anyways it broke when I tried to baton it's tip into a stump to try to straighten it out.
Yeah, I read that post. My rule #1 is NEVER to give my wife a firearm or knife. That's the secret to my 43 years of marriage... ;)

I broke about 1/8” off the tip off a paramilitary 2 in S110V prying a screen up out of its track on a window. Then a couple weeks later I was using the same knife to cut a frozen pilchard up for bait and it snapped across the spydie hole exactly like in the photo on the first page of this thread.

I broke about 1/8” off the tip off a paramilitary 2 in S110V prying a screen up out of its track on a window. Then a couple weeks later I was using the same knife to cut a frozen pilchard up for bait and it snapped across the spydie hole exactly like in the photo on the first page of this thread.
As you can see, this Boker also broke on the place where is the hole on the tang. I'd understand if there was a screw or something on that spot, but it's not. So I struggle to understand why did they put a hole on some random place on the tang. They simply created structural weak point for no good reason.

I have broken tips off knives. Usually prying when a knife was all I had. I tend to not buy a carry knife with a very pointy tip. One thing I know if you carry& use them some will get damaged, some will get lost. Always good to have better around.

Back