Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

A849D3E7-FA8B-419A-8914-603A0E98EDCA.jpeg Cutting a piece of 1” EPDM hose yesterday was part of the workout for my Buck 301. Unfortunately I didn’t realize that it was steel reinforced, and put a nice nick in the blade. :(:mad: It’s not going to sharpen out anytime soon. Luckily it’s my warmer weather Work knife. I just sharpened out the rolled edges, for now, until I decide if I should send it back to Buck for a new $10.00 blade, a $6.95 sharpening and spa treatment, or just keep using it until it’s eventually sharpened out.

I can remember the moments like it was yesterday, the chilled and foggy autumn morning air, or the sweltering, hot, humid summer heat at midday. My grandfather sitting out on the porch with a good 22. Cal rifle, on the hunt for “cow birds”, crows, or an old soda can sitting a few yards away in the grass. My grandfather was a gun nut and a knife accumulator.

On top of the bookshelf he kept an old Buck knife display case full of knives of every shape and size, patterns I now know by name laid, but couldn’t possibly guess when I was little. Each knife waiting inside to be picked out and used. My grandfather carried knives depending on the weather; which I’ve always thought was curious.

Often times he sat with an old Marlin model 60, a semi automatic 22. I can still envision him standing there with a shell too lazy to be ejected, leaving the rifle jammed. He would turn the rifle sideways exposing the action and fish into his pocket for his knife. The jingling of keys, coins, his heart pills in a little brown glass bottle and of course his Buck 704.

He would open the knife and ever so gracefully remove the spent casing with a flick of the wrist, the little hollow brass would fall to the ground with a satisfying “tink”.

As he got older his habits didn’t change, but his vision and the tenacity in his hands did. A scenario of a jammed shell played out once more and as he fished through his pocket searching for his knife; mine was already deployed and ready. I got to practice my flick as my grandfather held the rifle steady; he smiled as it fell to the ground knowing I had learned something.

This passed weekend I did some shooting with my father in law. He brought out an old Marlin model 60 that he hadn’t fired in 15 years. I cleaned it up a little before we went out, but it could have used some added attention. The first few rounds cycled cleaning, so I handed Robert his rifle. A few more rounds went down range before I saw him fidgeting with the safety. I knew what the problem was immediately and explained the issue to him. Taking the rifle I fished into my pocket and dug out my little stag stockman; with the clip point deployed all I needed was a quick, flick of the wrist.

8B5F7C92-C339-47EF-B1E4-0D44F4E8517A.jpeg

I can remember the moments like it was yesterday, the chilled and foggy autumn morning air, or the sweltering, hot, humid summer heat at midday. My grandfather sitting out on the porch with a good 22. Cal rifle, on the hunt for “cow birds”, crows, or an old soda can sitting a few yards away in the grass. My grandfather was a gun nut and a knife accumulator.

On top of the bookshelf he kept an old Buck knife display case full of knives of every shape and size, patterns I now know by name laid, but couldn’t possibly guess when I was little. Each knife waiting inside to be picked out and used. My grandfather carried knives depending on the weather; which I’ve always thought was curious.

Often times he sat with an old Marlin model 60, a semi automatic 22. I can still envision him standing there with a shell too lazy to be ejected, leaving the rifle jammed. He would turn the rifle sideways exposing the action and fish into his pocket for his knife. The jingling of keys, coins, his heart pills in a little brown glass bottle and of course his Buck 704.

He would open the knife and ever so gracefully remove the spent casing with a flick of the wrist, the little hollow brass would fall to the ground with a satisfying “tink”.

As he got older his habits didn’t change, but his vision and the tenacity in his hands did. A scenario of a jammed shell played out once more and as he fished through his pocket searching for his knife; mine was already deployed and ready. I got to practice my flick as my grandfather held the rifle steady; he smiled as it fell to the ground knowing I had learned something.

This passed weekend I did some shooting with my father in law. He brought out an old Marlin model 60 that he hadn’t fired in 15 years. I cleaned it up a little before we went out, but it could have used some added attention. The first few rounds cycled cleaning, so I handed Robert his rifle. A few more rounds went down range before I saw him fidgeting with the safety. I knew what the problem was immediately and explained the issue to him. Taking the rifle I fished into my pocket and dug out my little stag stockman; with the clip point deployed all I needed was a quick, flick of the wrist.

View attachment 957834
Great memories. Thanks for sharing.

Finally got off my behind to start patching the hole I put through my dining room ceiling. I needed the strong tip of a sheepsfoot to score my lines in the sheetrock, so out came the BFTC.

20180804_110656_2.jpg

In the last week this Case Knife has cut more wire insulation for my home projects (new ceiling fan), cut drywall samples, and cut lots of fishing line (me and the bushes over the water to the left in this picture have been having issues - bass are right below the bushes). The knife and I went for a spill in the farm pond yesterday (along with my wallet, cellphone, morning meds, boots, clothes, etc.) when I was overextended in a bush growing out over the water - trying to retrieve a favorite lure (and another previously lost lure). A can of Rem-Oil in my truck handled the knife; spread everything else out in the bed to dry while i kept fishing. OH

8-11-18_OSHC_2_-_sunrise.jpg

Case_3318_HE_-_1980_-_CV.jpg

8-11-18_retrieved_lures.jpg

View attachment 931425 Cutting a piece of 1” EPDM hose yesterday was part of the workout for my Buck 301. Unfortunately I didn’t realize that it was steel reinforced, and put a nice nick in the blade. :(:mad: It’s not going to sharpen out anytime soon. Luckily it’s my warmer weather Work knife. I just sharpened out the rolled edges, for now, until I decide if I should send it back to Buck for a new $10.00 blade, a $6.95 sharpening and spa treatment, or just keep using it until it’s eventually sharpened out.

If it were mine, I would sharpen it out right off the bat. If you use it with the chip it's more likely to get damaged worse.

In the last couple of days, I've only use my pocket a couple of times. Friday morning to slice tomatoes at the office for tomato sandwiches and Friday afternoon to test the hardness of a rock my boss showed me. It wouldn't scratch the blade so was softer than carbon blade steel (~5.5 on Moh's hardness scale).

Sliced the outside side of my middle finger at the middle knuckle midday today removing the shrink wrap from a Comcast HD box. Finger barely touched the blade of the knife sitting open on the table. Wearing a bandaid now.

Sliced the outside side of my middle finger at the middle knuckle midday today removing the shrink wrap from a Comcast HD box. Finger barely touched the blade of the knife sitting open on the table. Wearing a bandaid now.

Shrink wrap and clamshell packaging are diabolical inventions that belong in Dante’s 9th level of hell. Heal up quickly.:thumbsup:

I filmed an episode of an antique motorcycle web series yesterday with my buddy Dale at the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. We took his newly acquired 1913 Harley-Davidson, which hadn't run in at least 80 years or so and got the old girl going again. We lubed up all of the joints, heated the old oil out of the cases with a hotplate underneath to drain it, put some NOS Firestone Nonskid tires, cleaned and adjusted the magneto, filled it with gas and oil and fired it up in no time. Never even touched the 105 year old carb or as much as wiped the original plugs! Had to clean some corrosion off of the points so out came my new SMKW 78 which handled the job with ease, in all one of less than 10 tools it took us to get this thing back in shape after such a long time.

BssGHQh.jpg

CrIKklW.jpg

3fnq5fs.jpg
That is a thing of beauty.. The bike and the knife. Thanks for sharing this with us!

..and mann that knife looks good sitting there with all that!

So today my Case mini trapper and I played fix it! It scraped some bark off the edge of a table top I'm making, then scraped some epoxy off the top after filling some knots. After that we came in and fixed some wiring... it helped strip some wire, cut some heat shrink tubing, and finally cut some flex tubing to wrap around the wiring so the cats wouldn't chew through it again! All in all, a successful day.

Back