Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

Shrink wrap and clamshell packaging are diabolical inventions that belong in Dante’s 9th level of hell. Heal up quickly.:thumbsup:
I think they are more appropriate for the 14th or 15th level ...

I used the Scout's leather punch today, to make bolt holes in the hub shiners I made for the trike. :)

Went out to the garden this evening and cut an orange-fleshed watermelon from the vine with an Imperial Frontier 4132 stockman. Actually my young son carried the knife out and cut it. It makes him feel like a man!

The Frontier is 3-1/4" long. As we were walking in, my son (8 years old) said, "This knife is the perfect size for me." I think he was dropping a subtle hint.

Edited---I forgot I took a pic of my son in action.
UijVB4n.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I discovered that one of the windshield washer hoses on my car had broken -- the one that routes fluid up to the wiper arm on the driver's side. Since I was out running errands I stopped by the auto parts store to pick up some replacement hose. What they had was the correct ID but a larger OD, but I wanted to get it repaired right away and it was looking like rain, so I bought it. Because of the larger OD the hose wouldn't route properly through a clip on the underside of the wiper arm, so I did a bit of a battle splice, routing it on top and securing it with a cable tie. I'll try to find the proper hose later.

The pen blade on my Case 6327 small stockman was the perfect tool for the job of splitting the old hose so that I could remove it from the barb fitting and for cutting the new hose to length. (Further proof of the validity of my philosophy of always carrying a small knife to supplement a larger knife. Neither of the blades on my Wharncliffe mini trapper would have been quite the right shape or size for this task.)

30665518088_92a9e46f9e_b.jpg

Last edited:
I spent much of labor day weekend putting a mosaic tile wall up. As part of that process I had to cut apart many of the tiles from the mesh backing. On day one I used my GEC 15 with the spear blade. On day two I used my Case Pen with the clip blade. Although both performed well, I have to give the edge (no pun intended) to the Pen knife, due to the thinner blade. I wasn't particularly gentle as I had many to separate and was trying to finish in one weekend. As a result, both suffered some scuffing to the blade and very minor edge damage. Nothing a fairly light touch up won't repair, and since both are carbon blades the scuffing will soon disappear into the patina.

Started carrying my new GEC H20 fixed blade in a pocket sheath. Works quite well. I wouldn’t want to baton through a redwood with it, but for the stuff I need to cut it should work out fine.
GEC-H20814-GCM_alt1.jpg

(Knife Connection pic)

Tempted to try the drop point model as well.

Back