Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

Well done!
I cut back some new bamboo culms this weekend.
Di3g5Et.jpg
xPyjmho.jpg
Ooh that looks like it was fun!

It was "Prairie Day" for our second graders today, and I got to help out by teaching the boys how to whittle. I didn't get any good pictures (too busy teaching), but I'd say it was a mixture of success and frustration. The wood provided to us was oak, and pretty hard, so the boys had a tough time getting much of the wood removed. However, they did learn some knife safety, and the basic knife strokes for whittling. They sure enjoyed it, and I had so much fun I decided to finish a little project of my own:

I3wBwymmQOCnV1eiXIACgA.jpg lA4sqdzVQxS%zkFzCDlWwA.jpg %rGFkYCcQlKzqoT6qLf+sQ.jpg DVYmBlzyTAy%HhNGNKo5qg.jpg

I used several knives along the way because the boys kept wanting to trade out. But for the most part I used my Lionsteel Bolus clip point, which kept a great edge the whole time and was very comfy in hand.

fullsizeoutput_2e72.jpeg

It was "Prairie Day" for our second graders today, and I got to help out by teaching the boys how to whittle. I didn't get any good pictures (too busy teaching), but I'd say it was a mixture of success and frustration. The wood provided to us was oak, and pretty hard, so the boys had a tough time getting much of the wood removed. However, they did learn some knife safety, and the basic knife strokes for whittling. They sure enjoyed it, and I had so much fun I decided to finish a little project of my own:

View attachment 1120900 View attachment 1120901 View attachment 1120902 View attachment 1120903

I used several knives along the way because the boys kept wanting to trade out. But for the most part I used my Lionsteel Bolus clip point, which kept a great edge the whole time and was very comfy in hand.

View attachment 1120904

Nice to see a school where people don’t freak out about the idea of teaching kids how to use a knife properly.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1120900 View attachment 1120901 View attachment 1120902 View attachment 1120903

View attachment 1120904

That is fantastic!!! "A boy ain't a real boy 'less he's carryin' a knife." :D

Tonight while we were watching TV, my wife asked me if I had a sharp knife with a good point. I handed her my Opi 6, with which she proceeded to bore a hole in her fingerhail. She had slammed a window on it the other day, and the blood was really building up under the nail.

When I saw what she was doing, I offered her my Alox Electrician, which has a very sharp punch. Conchita, who is slow to recognize that words can have several meanings, wanted nothing to do with a “punch” until I showed it to her and made her feel the tip. Thus enlightened, she accepted it from me and finished drilling her pressure relief. She lost a bit of blood, but said the finger felt much better.

I tried to ignore her, to avoid the sympathetic shock reaction I get if I identify too strongly with the discomfort others inflict upon themselves, so, no pictures.

You guys know how to feed your crew. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Bother Bill wouldn't even let us pay him for the steak and lobster (we covered everything else). He said it was his thank you to us for "allowing" him to come up and cook for us every three months! He does dinner Fri night (carne asada and carnitas tacos), breakfast Saturday morning (omelets, biscuits and gravy and mounds of bacon) and dinner Sat night. Usually a box of cigars and a bottle or two of bourbon on the table too.

Bother Bill wouldn't even let us pay him for the steak and lobster (we covered everything else). He said it was his thank you to us for "allowing" him to come up and cook for us every three months! He does dinner Fri night (carne asada and carnitas tacos), breakfast Saturday morning (omelets, biscuits and gravy and mounds of bacon) and dinner Sat night. Usually a box of cigars and a bottle or two of bourbon on the table too.

Ya'll know how to live! Work hard, feast well.

That's real life!
No meat balls? (sorry for the bad pun) :eek::)

Back