Didn't get what you wanted for Christmas? Giveaway! Winner Chosen!

Notwithstanding all the drama from politics and the pandemic, what stands out for me is the replacement parts. In March, I had a knee replacement that was long overdue. In September, i got some bridgework to replace a tooth I knocked out several years ago in a dirt bike tumble. Now, I walk better han I have in years, and I can smile without looking like “that guy”.

The day after my surgery, we got the first covid lockdown. I was laid off from my work, but couldn’t work anyway until the docs signed off on my knee. I spent six weeks of quarantine, rehab at my son’s house. I was able to pass several warm spring afternoons in the back yard with my grandson, turning big sticks into little sticks with our knives.

Please include me in your very excellent giveaway.

Thanks for the great idea.
One memorable change in 2020 - I went into the deep end for traditional knives. I have trouble even looking at the bulk of my current (modern) collection.
More in line with the theme of this giveaway - So many of my kids' activities and commitments have changed. It amazes me how much more time my family now spends talking and laughing with each other. It is one change from 2020 that I plan to never let change back.

I feel like I shouldn't enter because I have a 2020 forum knife and I have had more than a fair share of good fortune in GAWs, but I have a very good friend who absolutely loves the 2020 knife. He is a schoolteacher with whom I have been friends for almost a quarter century. He has been helping me get in shape by hiking with me every weekend for months (I've lost 35 pounds since the beginning of October), so I would love the opportunity to give him a gift I know he would love.

This has been a year that has been surprisingly positive on a personal level, even as the year has been so difficult on a broader level. On the Coronavirus front, no close friends or relatives lost to COVID, though an acquaintance died and several friends were hospitalized. But this year did see the passing of my stepmom to cancer, and my wife's grandfather (who escaped the Nazis leaving Poland as a boy with his parents, though the rest of his extended family and brother who stayed all died in the Holocaust. There aren't many left from that generation, and the Holocaust is almost out of living memory). For myself, my career as an archaeologist has been going well, I've been able to get toys I wanted, and I have completed some fun projects (like building a loft for my daughter Abby and building my first gaming PC).

But the most important and memorable part of the year for me, without a doubt was the birth of my daughter Matilda (my third child). We try to limit online pictures of our kids, so I am sorry, but you get a picture of the loft instead of the baby ;)

full

I'm certainly in thank you!

What you say, you already have a Forum Knife?? I do but a back-up is always needed for a fine knife ;) I see that as a positive in the aftermath of a trying year :thumbsup:

Bad side was I was made unemployed at the end of the year and late in life, the coming months are worrying.

Good side, some altruism exists still in all places and this GAW is evidence of that.:D

9sOF8dn.jpg

My most memorable thing for 2020 was the death of my best friend Harry Mercurio due to COVID during the Christmas season:thumbsdown:. I realize that maybe focusing on good things that have happened might be better but paraphrasing Shakespeare ... The good is oft interred with mens bones; the evil liveth on forever. This loss will live on with me forever.:(

In for this GiveAway. Thanks for the opportunity.

BAD = we had saved for over a year, and made reservations, and bought tickets, to take the family to Florida, staying in a house on the ocean, and going to Disney. My 10 year old daughter was crushed when we couldn't go. I'm hoping 2021 will let us go, but time will tell.

GOOD = A few years back our hunting camp in the mountains caved in due to snow load. This year I decided was the year to rebuild it. I counted, and my Dad and I made 51 trips to our camp to rebuild it back from scratch. We were lucky in that we bought a lot of the building materials before they were hard to come by. The goal was to get it all closed in and insulated and wired by deer season, which we did. Now all that is left is interior work (flooring, walls, basic trim, etc.). It was nice to spend that much time with my Dad.

I have a 2020 forum knife, which I love and carry most days. My wife has borrowed it a few times and commented on how much she likes it. If I win this one, it will be a gift to my wife. Thanks again.

Sounds like you had quite a year! Good luck from here on in :thumbsup:

Not an entry from me please, I just wanted to say thanks and good luck.

Empty streets and friendly strangers is what I'll remember most I think. You wouldn't see a vehicle for 10 minutes, or much longer on the quiet roads, but if you saw another human being, they'd always stop for a socially distanced chat, or at least exchange a few pleasantries :)

Thank you very much, I'm in! Those are beautiful gnarly covers with tons of character. 2020 was memorable for me in a couple ways. First, my wife and I both got covid back in July, but only had mild symptoms and recovered quickly, Thank you, Lord! Second is our move to SW Florida after living my entire life in Missouri. I'll miss the seasons, but my wife could not take any more cold winters due to her disabling arthritis, so here we are.

pT0e6to.jpg

I'd like in on this (EDIT - I'm not entering. See post #40). I joined BF in 2020 but I couldn't convince my wife to let me buy the knife.
It was certainly a year few of us will forget. So far 2021 is looking pretty wild too. I am also expecting a baby soon. Congratulations to you!
I think other than learning that my wife is pregnant, my most memorable experiences were the three months at the beginning of the pandemic when I was home caring for my 2 year old daughter. The extra one on one time that I got with her made what was (and still is) going on in the world a lot more bearable.
Thanks for the opportunity!

Last edited:
Thank you for a very nice GAW my friend . I am Not In because I have the Forum Knife .
The year 2020 is a great one to see in the rear view mirror . I lost one Brother and almost another . I lost a very good friend and almost another . It was the first year in years that we were not able to take a Trip . We do not have vacations since we retired . We just take trips . We welcomed 2 Great Grand Babies . We were able to celebrate our 60th Anniversary and we still have our health . We have all that we need , so we are very thankful .

Harry

I am in. Thank you for your generosity.
2020. For the most part, it has been a huge struggle for us. My two kids having what should be wonderful parts of their lives altered, one in college and the other in HS. My wonderful and dear MIL has been deteriorating at an alarming rate this whole year, and my wife is the primary caregiver for her. The stress upon her is immeasurable. BUT... the good news is that NONE of my immediate family has been stricken with the virus. We hope to remain this way until vaccination is complete. I have been fortunate enough that my job/career has been deemed essential, and have been able to provide throughout.

Oh heck, I don’t have a forum knife and they aware so very attractive so I’m in. Very generous giveaway and I know it will be cherished by the winner. Thanks for doing this. I am enjoying everyone’s posts.

With in my immediate family a very memorable part of the dumpster fire that was 2020 will be the closing of schools. My wife left her job to support them at home during online school, which was a tough decision. We are fortunate she was able to do that and I was able to keep working. It was tough but many in our community had it harder. We are a tight knit family but the kids grew closer due to relying on each other and spending so much time together. There were plenty of negatives but it’s a year they will never forget. We stayed healthy and while things don’t look much better today there is a lot of hope for 2021.

I've been thinking about this while reading some of the other entries, and I think there are other people who could use some good news more than me. I've been pretty lucky that the pandemic hasn't been too terrible for me or my loved ones. I will bow out of the giveaway to give everyone else better odds. I also live in Canada and I understand that it can be a pain to ship across the border.
Good luck to everyone!

Back