Recommendation? Difference between edge pro sharpeners

Hey guys, I came across a video where a guy was using an edge pro and he said it's good for swords, and I need something to sharpen swords, so I may get one (other reasons too).

My questions are what are all the models, and what is the difference between them?
Are the $500 models that much better than the $30 model? Like is it worth that much? (that price may be off because I saw it on ebay, doubt I'll spend that much).
How is it better?
Does it really sharpen swords well?
How long does it take to get a knife to cut paper or shave?
I'm completely ignorant about edge pros so I need advice!

Thanks guys,

Bo

The main difference that I saw when I was looking at them years ago was that the Edge Pro PRO seemed to be able to sharpen shallower angles down to like 10° which is super low angle. I almost bought one for that reason. In practice I can sharpen very low angles in that range with my medium level Edge Pro APEX so I'm happy. I did get the Shapton Glass stones with mine from the chef knife on line store and am pleased with those and glad I got them because i need the harder stones for the medium grade super steel in some of my knives.

The PRO might have a bit more ridged base rather than the splayed plastic legs that the Apex has and that might be a good idea to have because the sword would weigh a lot more than a pocket knife or a kitchen knife.

Yes I suppose you could sharpen a sword on it . . . if you have long arms.

Little bit wider table, quick stone release built in, no spring needed and the vice on a smooth surfice adds a really stable table to work on.

I think you should call Ben at Edge Pro. He described sharpening swords to me years ago. I didn't end up doing it. I think he said it should be sharpened in (maybe) 6 inch sections. The Pro model gives a more stable platform in length and strength.

Great guys thank you. This helps a lot.
So I didn't know there were different stones. Can someone tell me the types of stones, the differences and similarities, and what they're for?

Thanks a lot guys,

Bo

I found a 5th Gen edge pro apex for like $50. But it looks a lot different. It had a metal box and a clamp or something and 3 pc whetstone. Is this the wrong one? Now that I've looked around more that looks too cheap. I also found an "edge pro apex style". This tells me it's a knock off. Can anyone vouch for the knockoffs? It does angles from 10 to 30 degrees. And comes with 4 stones. By looking I can't tell the difference.

Bo

Bo-dacious, this really isn't the best site for looking for advice on counterfeit goods. We don't foster it with knives and there's no reason to encourage it with knife related products either. We don't have a "counterfeit and knockoff" review forum.

Do your homework, research carefully, buy quality and ask questions related to sharpening and maintenance.

You see all these service providers and dealers that answer questions in this forum? They're generously sharing their time and expertise while still hoping to make an honest living at the same time. If and when possible, I recommend supporting our local craftsmen and dealers...of course, it's your money and you get to spend it where you like.

Consider this a gentle nudge.

The PRO might have a bit more ridged base rather than the splayed plastic legs that the Apex has and that might be a good idea to have because the sword would weigh a lot more than a pocket knife or a kitchen knife.

The Apex Bench Mount works great, especially for those who are less than thrilled with relying on the suction cups or are loathe to drill holes in the counter top. It's rock solid.

Apex_table-clamp_acc_lg.jpg

Blues: it was just a quick question. I didn't mean to upset anyone or waste anyone's time. Are you saying I shouldn't ask about sharpeners in this forum or just about counterfeit stuff?

Wow: Thays a good point!

Thanks,

Bo

I use the professional model on quartz counter top on the island in my kitchen, I wipe it down before using the vice/suction cup, it attach's and does not release without moving the handle to release it.

I was going to chime in that the Epmak-8 design would be perfect for swords, but I am very leary of it being made from plastic. I do love the articulated arm though. Here is a video of someone sharpening a sword with it.

Reactions: Mo2
I was going to chime in that the Epmak-8 design would be perfect for swords, but I am very leary of it being made from plastic. I do love the articulated arm though. Here is a video of someone sharpening a sword with it.
I mean the edge pro standard apex is made of plastic.

I am getting a hapstone cause it's metal and has alot of features and compatibility with alot of different stones.

The Edge Pro and the Epmak-8 are totally different designs, requiring different things of the plastic parts, like comparing apples to passion fruit. I have seen too much flex in the stone angle in videos. I love the articulating arm, it just needs to be made from stiffer materials than the plastic used, IMO. There are plastics that would work, but unfilled acryllic is not one of them.

Edit- The Pro is plastic too, the base and the backplate. To be honest I am not as much a fan of plastic in this application as Ben is.
As far as Hapstone vs Edge Pro, I got to play with a new Hapstone v6 and found the quality of fit and finish to be somewhat an issue. I do like the 3 point blade guide though, with a few changes, hint, hint.

Last edited:
Diemaker: that looks really cool. Great for swords. I can't find it though. Do you know where I can find one and the price? If I get one I'll be very careful... If.

Thanks guys,

Bo

Here it is, http://ermak-laser.ru/ . wade7575 gave it on page 2 of the earlier linked post. My concern with the Epmak is a lack of stiffness, not strength.

This thread has me wondering, how are swords sharpened? Are there any good guided ways of doing it?

Diemaker: that epmak looks good if you use it gently. Or the edge pro is good if you do it in different sections. I saw a guy do a machete on one and it worked fine.

Another question I have is would the angle change on the edge pro as the stones lose material. The end of the arm would get lower while the base of the arm stays put creating a steeper angle wouldn't it? I haven't used it so I don't know the mechanics yet but it seems like it could do that.

Bo

Back