Diktator grinder

looking at “diktator das tubinator”on eBay, looks solid and priced right.
Any feedback on these? Ad looks like the Oregon blade makers grinders. Same shop?

For 900 shipped, and made from a few pieces of welded tubing, I would expect either a vfd, or a 10" contact wheel in addition to the platen.

A lot of people are making this grinder and selling it on etsy, ebay, etc... It's based off of a grinder designed and made by DC knives (Dan Comeau) and there are plans available on his blog. It's a pretty basic design, and while it seems like they did a really nice job putting theirs together, you could build one for quite a bit cheaper. The frame itself could probably be built for $40 or $50.

As for the specific grinder in question, I think a 3450RPM motor is going to be way too fast for finish work. Don't get me wrong, guys do it, but it's a pain, especially when you start grinding thinner knives toward the tip.

I'm also not overly excited about that grinder's tensioning method. It just seems very un-ergonomic, even with the handle they're including. On DC's youtube, he does show a quick vid of a lever mechanism that I think would work really nicely, or like I've said in previous threads about this grinder design, I think a small 90lb pneumatic cylinder with a spring return would be a good option. Other than that, I think a pivoting tracking arm with a front compression spring or gas piston is a better design in general, such as you see on most other tool arm grinders.

Personally, If I were trying to get the cheapest 2x72 possible, I'd go with a $100 chinese VFD, a used/surplus 3 phase motor (or pay $175 for an IronHorse motor), and build my own frame with the lever mechanism. Without looking, I'd estimate you can build the frame, including tensioning mechanism and a couple of tool arms for about $100 or less, then you can buy a pre-made platen assembly and your drive and tracking wheel for around $200 or less.

At the end of the day, I believe you could build that grinder with a better tracking/tension setup AND variable speed for $500 to $600, or at the very least, the price that they're asking, minus shipping, for their single speed machine. No, it may not be powder coated, but a $10 worth of rattle cans will keep the rust at bay.

Here's the lever tensioning mod:

looking at “diktator das tubinator”on eBay, looks solid and priced right.
Any feedback on these? Ad looks like the Oregon blade makers grinders. Same shop?
I’m curious. Did you end up buying this grinder? I’m looking at the same one.

AlaskaBearHawk is the first instance I've seen of that one.

The tensioner has play which can affect tracking unless it's made super super well

I'd pass

Not a fan.
They advertise "Bolt DAS TOOBINATOR to a bench (not included) & you're ready to grind!"
Instead, you receive many boxes of parts.

I paid $900+ so I wouldn't have to do all this fiddle-farting around. Many hours into it already, and still can't use the machine.

Trying to work this out with the seller, but they claim they did nothing wrong, and won't even accept a partial refund, but insist I send the entire unit back.
At this point I don't know that I trust sending it back either.

Wish I had bought from a competitor.

Last edited:
If you paid through PayPal I would open a claim for item not as described.

If I report not as described with ebay, and return it, what's the chances of actually getting a refund? I don't want to return the unit just to have them use ebay seller protection to keep the money, too. - Since technically the motor and drive wheel aren't exactly as they were sent, as the drive wheel is bound up on the motor.

I'm an ebay member since early days, have thousands of feedback, and 100% positive score. But idk if I trust their cookie cutter resolution methods in this case.

I'm probably just screwed.

Last edited:
Oh dude. That sucks. On the whole the knife making community has very high ethical standards, suppliers and makers alike.

This is really a shame.

Personally I would see if you can come to an agreement about refunding the entire amount minus a new drive wheel or something to make both parties satisfied. But if that doesn't work I would probably just file a charge back with my card company and try to get the $$ back (you will likely win this because your card company forces their hand - you have 120 days from the date of purchase to file a charge back). Then if it gets resolved this way you will have the money and can ship the unit back at that point - he can do what he wants with it from there.

I paid with credit card.
The seller is being belligerent and making threats, saying he will report me to DOJ if I return it and it's not exactly as I received it. - Which of course, he knows I cannot do, as the drive wheel is bound up on the motor shaft.
If I report not as described with ebay, and return it, what's the chances of actually getting a refund? It seems like he is trying to convince me to return the entire unit, but will abuse seller protection to keep the money, too. - Since technically the motor and drive wheel aren't exactly as they were sent.

I'm an ebay member since '04, have thousands of feedback, and 100% positive score. But idk if I trust their cookie cutter resolution methods in this case.

I suggest you chat with the folks at EBay and forward all of the emails and tell them the Treats etc.. EBay & PayPal are on the buyers side. I’d say your chances are quite good of getting all of your money back thru PayPal / EBay , doesn’t matter that you payed by CC., PayPal still handled the money!!! Doesn’t matter exactly how it is now! If he had threaten you, PayPal EBay doesn’t dig that, I had a “Stablizer” send me some blocks of a wood that went I book match cut them..They were so full of holes on the inside that they were worthless, the seller tryed to say! Screw you! You cut them open. I said yep! That was the only way I could see how poor your stabilization work was,, They still tryed to screw me saying , if they are cut, FUK Off, I persisted with EBay showing them how poor their work was, book match cutting blocks from other Stabilizers educating the man at PayPal and showing how the Seller didn’t know Squat about Stabilization and must of used a brake pump & mini wax hardener ... Don’t give up! After you get our money back.. Chevk out. Cootebeltgrinder.com for a simple well made machine! Bought my first grinder in 1998 from them. Still using it! If you need help with the motor, le me know, there are many 1750 RPM motors around and you can make it adjustable speed and make it variable after you sell a few knives!

Last edited:
sorry to hear that :( always use paypal for online stuff. yeah, sounds like you are kinda stuck with it. throw your hands in the air, get the new motor, fix up what you have so it works.. that will still be cheaper than buying a whole new rig. and fill out your profile, especially your location. occasionally one of us cool knife maker dudes will actually offer to come over and help with a situation when you are stuck.

I'll get my profile updated here soon. Maybe something good will come out of this bad experience afterall - It led me to this forum. :)

I can use any recommendations on sources/brands for belts in the 2x72 size. I especially want to find good solutions for polishing and stropping. I'll look around the forum first. And if I don't see what I'm after, I suppose I should make a new thread for that topic.

Last edited:
I have a toobinator. It was kind of a pain in the ass to set up but overall I'd say it's a quality built machine

If I report not as described with ebay, and return it, what's the chances of actually getting a refund? I don't want to return the unit just to have them use ebay seller protection to keep the money, too. - Since technically the motor and drive wheel aren't exactly as they were sent, as the drive wheel is bound up on the motor.

I'm an ebay member since early days, have thousands of feedback, and 100% positive score. But idk if I trust their cookie cutter resolution methods in this case.

If you send it back and provide proof, it is inconceivable that eBay, PayPal, or your bank (depending on how you paid) would deny a chargeback. I say this from experience.

I have a toobinator. It was kind of a pain in the ass to set up but overall I'd say it's a quality built machine
I ordered one and I'm still waiting to be delivered, cost me $550's and got everything excepted the motor and base, I got a 2HP motor from harbor freight which I will use it. I will post a picture after is up and running.

Not a fan.
They advertise "Bolt DAS TOOBINATOR to a bench (not included) & you're ready to grind!"
Instead, you receive many boxes of parts.

I paid $900+ so I wouldn't have to do all this fiddle-farting around. Many hours into it already, and still can't use the machine.

Trying to work this out with the seller, but they claim they did nothing wrong, and won't even accept a partial refund, but insist I send the entire unit back.
At this point I don't know that I trust sending it back either.

Wish I had bought from a competitor.
TOOBINATOR: our chassis is powder coated Competitors: rattle can painted ......................poor competitors they use can rattle :D
When I get retired I really should move to USA and start to make some belt grinders........I should name them toobinatorkiller :eek:

Received the grinder yesterday and my first impression is positive, looks well done, its heavy and strong, started marking holes on the plate I made and I will see then how long to put this grinder together, really is not much besides aligning the motor after I drill the holes.

The 2hp motor from Harbour Freight is a ODP motor. I had 1 it only lasted like 6months. You want a TEFC motor. After you ruin the temper on a couple of blades You'll be wishing you would have just bought a 3phase motor with VFD and end up having to spend more money. Ask me how I know:oops:

Ok put mine together and after I made the holes on the plate took me less than 30 minutes to put together, still have to install a on/off switch which I will do that tomorrow. Making and welding the extending table feet, making holes for the grinder and install the motor took me less than 2 hours. One complain I have is the belt release and I need to eat an entire cow to press that level down, I think Im going to modify that with something I saw on YouTube.

Back