Diktator grinder

Tried to use imgur but when I paste the link I get a message saying I'm blocked...

Last edited:
Upload the pic to imgur, click on the photo to open just that photo. Click the share button, copy the image link.

In the menue above your post is the little landscape photo button. Paste the copied photo link in there and upload.

I have a Das-Toobinator. I have been using it for a few years now and so far I really like it. There are a few complaints I have for those who might be interested in getting one.

A little background: I am a tight wad. I grew up relatively poor and buying anything (except guns and ammo) I will tend to go cheap. Same was true with knifemaking. I didn't want to buy a welder at the time and since I am in the military, any equipment you buy is going to go against your weight limit. So, first piece of advice is dont go cheap...

1) The belt release is a beast! I mean you have to use a hell of a lot of force to take belts off and on. I am still tinkering around with a way of making that easier and when I come up with it, I will post an addition to it.
2) If you buy the option with a motor be prepared to run and one speed and that speed is fast. When I bought it, I was terrified of doing any tinkering around with electricity and motors...my advice is just buy the frame and buy a good 3 phase motor separate. I picked up a free old treadmill and disassembled and learned how to wire a chinese vfd. If I was to do it all over again I would have bought a separate 3 phase motor and vfd and been done with it.
3) I have not had any major issues with grinding (such as not tracking).
4) I would recommend this machine to a hobby knife-maker. While there are aspects I find slightly annoying and could/will improve at some point, this is a far cheaper option if you are looking to just get after it and start grinding knives. It is a good intro machine and could be "great" if you are willing to spend the time to do some diy upgrades.

I dont have any pictures of my knives saved to my computer but if you are curious about some of the knives I have turned out you can see them on my instagram @beau.watkins.58. If you are offended by killing animals you are advised not to visit.

Good luck and keep grinding!

Bought one of the Tubinator and was barely able to get it tracking. Poor quality design IMO. Sold it on Craigslist and have saved the money for a Ameribrade.
Now i can build a Custom setup so far for Under $2500 delivered.
Reversible, turn sideways, variable speed, small wheel setup etc. Do happen to have kept my 8" wheel and have a platen as well.
Could not recommend this one. You will likely find that it will get replaced in a coupe years by a better setup.

Back