Dino pattern

Ernie1980

Gold Member
Only recently have I seen this pattern pop up, and I really like the looks of it! The only ones that I have seen are custom, do any of you fine folks know of a production version that I can try before going custom? Also, I would like more Information about the pattern in general. When I search for the pattern I just get lots of dinosaur info and super exotic knives with Dino covers...

Mid size single blade with a Zulu-ish blade shape. There was one sold earlier today made by John Lloyd that is an excellent example.

Lloyd calls his a Dino and so does Dr. T, though he sometimes uses a spear blade in his it seems. I think these are what other makers are calling a Native? Manny Saldana makes a similar pattern called the Dog Bone. I really like that one! I've got a shadow Native on order from Bobby Toole I'm looking forward to.

I thought it was a custom design by a maker that other makers have adopted.

I have seen ones in the past couple of weeks by Dr T and Lloyd, those are the ones that peaked my interest. I will look for natives to see how they compare, thanks!
JTB_5 JTB_5 - who is the maker that originally created the pattern?

If you want your heart to skip a beat check out native patterns by Ricardo Romano or Jared Oeser. I also really liked the profile of the Dino in the sale section yesterday. I would have snagged it if it were done in micarta. I'm not a big fan of stag personally other than to look at.

I have seen ones in the past couple of weeks by Dr T and Lloyd, those are the ones that peaked my interest. I will look for natives to see how they compare, thanks!
JTB_5 JTB_5 - who is the maker that originally created the pattern?

The Dino pattern originated with Romano, a South American maker but has been used by a few custom makers. I like it a lot and have made 8-10 of them. The blade shape is more willow leaf shape to me and is a real cutter. Romano deserves all the credit.

My question then is a Dino basically just another name for the Native or are they considered different patterns?

30841259_325264504664669_5563208479230918656_n.jpg

The only difference I can see is in the handle shape.

To the best of my knowledge they are two different patterns, the Native created by Oeser and the Dino Romano as John said. It seems like it’s the blade shape and the handle shape in conjunction? The Native has more of a sheepsfoot cut and the Dino a spear’ish shape. I really like them both, it’s a nice alternative to the more common traditional patterns. John, I think you make a great version of both for sure.

A new young maker, Mitch Cargile, made this "Dino" for me using a pattern giving to him by Romano (this is a correction as I just checked). This is about 4" and covered in a Westinghouse micarta...Mitch's instagram is @Cargilecustomknives.

fullsizeoutput_917.jpeg

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge they are two different patterns, the Native created by Oeser and the Dino Romano as John said. It seems like it’s the blade shape and the handle shape in conjunction? The Native has more of a sheepsfoot cut and the Dino a spear’ish shape. I really like them both, it’s a nice alternative to the more common traditional patterns. John, I think you make a great version of both for sure.

Definitely two different patterns. I like them both.

Those are some really cool blade profiles. I remember seeing a Dino in the exchange before, but I always thought it was a design specific to a particular maker. I'm glad you asked the question, OP! I'll have to add one of those to the "one day" list, both frames look really comfortable to use.

Beautiful knife, I love the lines that Dr. T uses on his version
Yep, I think Mitch did a great job on this one and is an up and coming custom knife maker. I mistakenly wrote Dr. T and re-checked my notes and it was Romano who Mitch met and who gave the plans to him - either way, nice craftsmanship on a classic pattern.

Yep, I think Mitch did a great job on this one and is an up and coming custom knife maker. I mistakenly wrote Dr. T and re-checked my notes and it was Romano who Mitch met and who gave the plans to him - either way, nice craftsmanship on a classic pattern.
Ahh ok... I love hearing about new makers. Thank you for sharing, I look forward to more pictures of that stunner!

Back