Dino pattern

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Ernie1980, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Only recently have I seen this pattern pop up, and I really like the looks of it! The only ones that I have seen are custom, do any of you fine folks know of a production version that I can try before going custom? Also, I would like more Information about the pattern in general. When I search for the pattern I just get lots of dinosaur info and super exotic knives with Dino covers...

2. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    What does a dino pattern look like?

3. Ernie1980

Apr 19, 2012
    Mid size single blade with a Zulu-ish blade shape. There was one sold earlier today made by John Lloyd that is an excellent example.

4. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    Lloyd calls his a Dino and so does Dr. T, though he sometimes uses a spear blade in his it seems. I think these are what other makers are calling a Native? Manny Saldana makes a similar pattern called the Dog Bone. I really like that one! I've got a shadow Native on order from Bobby Toole I'm looking forward to.

5. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I thought it was a custom design by a maker that other makers have adopted.

6. Ernie1980

Apr 19, 2012
    I have seen ones in the past couple of weeks by Dr T and Lloyd, those are the ones that peaked my interest. I will look for natives to see how they compare, thanks!
    @JTB_5- who is the maker that originally created the pattern?

7. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I’m pretty sure Jared Oeser was the one to design the Native pattern that others are using now.

JTB_5 and mrknife like this.
  8. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    If you want your heart to skip a beat check out native patterns by Ricardo Romano or Jared Oeser. I also really liked the profile of the Dino in the sale section yesterday. I would have snagged it if it were done in micarta. I'm not a big fan of stag personally other than to look at.

9. John L

John L

Oct 28, 2004
    The Dino pattern originated with Romano, a South American maker but has been used by a few custom makers. I like it a lot and have made 8-10 of them. The blade shape is more willow leaf shape to me and is a real cutter. Romano deserves all the credit.

10. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    My question then is a Dino basically just another name for the Native or are they considered different patterns?

11. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only difference I can see is in the handle shape.

Llasi, Eli Chaps, Cambertree and 9 others like this.
  12. dispatch184

dispatch184 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2015
    To the best of my knowledge they are two different patterns, the Native created by Oeser and the Dino Romano as John said. It seems like it’s the blade shape and the handle shape in conjunction? The Native has more of a sheepsfoot cut and the Dino a spear’ish shape. I really like them both, it’s a nice alternative to the more common traditional patterns. John, I think you make a great version of both for sure.

13. rdave

rdave Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    A new young maker, Mitch Cargile, made this "Dino" for me using a pattern giving to him by Romano (this is a correction as I just checked). This is about 4" and covered in a Westinghouse micarta...Mitch's instagram is @Cargilecustomknives.

fullsizeoutput_917.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Llasi, Cambertree, meako and 10 others like this.
  14. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    Dude! Now your just showing off! :cool: Very nice!

15. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    Ha! I wish it were mine, but I just pulled both of those from the web.

Signalprick likes this.
  16. John L

John L

Oct 28, 2004
    Definitely two different patterns. I like them both.

17. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Those are some really cool blade profiles. I remember seeing a Dino in the exchange before, but I always thought it was a design specific to a particular maker. I'm glad you asked the question, OP! I'll have to add one of those to the "one day" list, both frames look really comfortable to use.

18. dispatch184

Mar 9, 2015
    Beautiful knife, I love the lines that Dr. T uses on his version

19. rdave

rdave Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Yep, I think Mitch did a great job on this one and is an up and coming custom knife maker. I mistakenly wrote Dr. T and re-checked my notes and it was Romano who Mitch met and who gave the plans to him - either way, nice craftsmanship on a classic pattern.

20. dispatch184

Mar 9, 2015
    Ahh ok... I love hearing about new makers. Thank you for sharing, I look forward to more pictures of that stunner!