Diomedes industries sheath question...

Purchased a new Diomedes Industries sheath for my Loner, amazing sheath! Going to take alot of getting used to a high riding sheath such as this but no problem, love it. After a day of carry I notice the lower half of the scale has a much much lighter color to it as if, maybe, it has drawn a bit of dye out of the maple? Not a huge deal of course but wondering if this may even itself out over time or is this knife pretty much 2 tone from here on out? Hard to capture in a picture but here it is... thanks15591172580141696054197803005649.jpg 15591173138505581141860791974527.jpg

Mike Large Mike Large I have noticed that before. In many cases I think it may be the other way around. that the part in the sheath stays protected and the part out darkens from wearing it and the sun and the elements of nature. VANCE VANCE had a daily carry of his he posted sometime ago and you seen the same results. And others as well. It's like it gets a suntan!! LOL. in your case you say the die has been pulled? How long have you been carrying it? Does it look to be discolored on the inside of the sheath? Like you said, not the end of the world. Definitely adds character. Jason at @Diomedes Industries I'm sure will jump in here. You are right! great sheaths too!!

Fiddleback handles are treated with a coating of Howard's Feed N Wax, which includes beeswax and mineral oil. My guess is that the leather has absorbed some of the oil from the handle, not the dye. I've seen this on some of my knives, and some seem more susceptible to it than others. Wipe it down with this same product or plain mineral oil, and I expect the handle will look consistent again. Not sure how to combat this, but maybe @Diomedes Industries or other sheath makers have some suggestions. I don't think it's a unique phenomenon to any one sheath brand.

I of course dont think it's the specific sheath, just never had this happen. And it's more so simple conversation than anything else. This blade will have a patina very soon from use so the color variations, even in the scales, is welcome. Though it is definitely worth asking about seeing I've never seen this happen. Enjoying the changes actually...15591313222783411154974238823671.jpg

as mentioned before get some Howard's Feed-n-Wax

before
2v2uCRJh3xurAoi.jpg

awhile later & treated
2v2Je1toqxurAoi.jpg

Jason's sheaths erode the color of the knife handle. Thats what I think.

R RobbieB nailed it. The leather absorbed the Howards Feednwax. You can refresh the wax, and over time the leather will absorb less and it will not be noticable. Unfortunately, by that time the sunlight on the exposed handle will darken the wood and you will have almost the same effect.

Back