Disappointed

I've been lurking on this list for the last 6 months or so and have enjoyed the information I've gotten. I particularly enjoy the DOTDs but always seem too late to get in on them.

On 10/13 I just happen to hit the forum about 2 minutes after the DOTD was posted. The DOTD message was posted at 3:27PM (EDT) and I sent an email (from the forum) to Yangdu within 3 minutes of that for the 18" AK. I posted a message to the list at 3:35PM (EDT) noting that I'd sent a mail message. I followed up with two other messages to the forum email before 4pm EDT and a message to her AOL account directly at about 7pm EDT.

I never heard anything about the messages sent and I found out today that it was already sold "first come, first served". Sorry, but I find it very difficult to believe someone could have gotten in there earlier than I did.

If this is an open forum, all I ask is to be treated equally. If this is a private buyers club, then I'm obviously in the wrong place.

Thanks for the information I've gotten, but I think I'll forgo buying from this forum.

...Chuck Darney

It happens. I have sent emails very soon (within a few minutes) after a DOTD posting and later been told that the blade sought had already been sold. Sometimes folks do not post that they have sent an email on a particular blade - I am not aware of any requirement that they do so. I am also not aware of any attempt to show favoritism toward anyone here with regard to the DOTDs. Keep trying. You will get your blade eventually. (I have been fortunate enough to have more hits than misses. And no, I am not giving away any tips. There are enough hungry sharks in these waters, already. :))

Eric

I'm sorry you missed out, but there is no favoritism here. However, we have some folks we call sharks for their uncanny ability to grab deals.
There's no nepotism involved. Have the email to Yangdu already written. If you use Firefox as a browser, there is an add-on that reloads the page automatically every minute, 30 seconds, 5 seconds... your choice. It's called ReloadEvery.
I don't use these because I have a bunch of khukuris, most purchased at full price. I usually don't see the deals until hours later, and I grab stuff that's left.
It's normal to feel bummed when you miss on a deal, or if someone snipes your auction on ebay and you lose, but don't assume there's an old boy's club going on.

I've been burned before also, but don't be discouraged. You'd be suprised by how quick these items go.
If any one out there is like me, it sometimes becomes obsessive when you have a particular item you have been lusting after, then you see it at a great bargain price, the sharks will strike.
Call Yangdu and see if she will have mercy and cut you a deal on another that she may have in stock. She is good people, but very busy.

Don't give up. View it as the "thrill of the chase".

Chuck, I'm really sorry to hear that you did not get the knife you wanted. However, I can tell you with all honesty that Yangdu is as fair as they get. She is nothing but class. The Internet is a funny thing. Sometimes, just like snail mail, the internet gods will eat and e-mail much to the dismay of the sender and or receiver. It doesn't matter when you send the message if the message takes awhile to get there. That's my main gripe with AOL (among other things). Emails sent via AOL take several minutes longer than those sent by other email accounts. Also, there is protocol on what info needs to be presented to claim the knife. Name, Address, which knife exactly, and a declaration of payment ("Can paypal, send check, or buy something off the site"). Without these, I'm sure Yangdu will pass up an e-mail for someone who has gotten all the info in their e-mail. A lot of new guys get burned by this, unfortunately.

It's a bummer, but it happens...a lot. I've been a customer for over 4 years, and it would take me both hands to count the number of times I've been beat out of a DOTD when according the forum I was the only one looking at a freshly posted thread. Many times, a new guy with less than 2 posts to his name would beat me. Yangdu really does sell first come/first serve. I can promise you that.

Best of luck to you
Jake

Yangdu's been very busy. She is doing the work of two and cannot always respond to emails in a timely fashion.

missing by a couple minutes is nothing. it's when you miss by seconds you really feel it.

This is not a private club. First come, first served. There are people who have the 'buy form' already made out, fill in the blanks and send high speed to HI home base. I can't beat them with my rotary connection.

If you are going to decide you have been gypped, that this is a private club, then you are only gypping yourself. HI forum is always open to new voices- and yours.

munk

I've never participated in one of these sales but, if you sent your emails through the forum, that I believe is part of the problem. Forum emails were not working at that time.

I've missed out on DOD's that I've emailed on within less than 5 minutes of posting. The sharks are everywhere. Even if you don't get an immediate response, if somebody else's email beats you there, its there first.

There is also an ebb and flow. I remember one period where you just couldn't get a DOD unless you were right there the minute it was posted. Then there have been other periods where great DODs just sit there for a whole day.

Boo hoo. Did you mistake something around here for a shoulder to cry on? Are we now a support group for sore loosers??? You sent an e-mail 3 minutes after the posting. Sorry Charlie, but I've sent one within the first minute and missed a DOTD. Quit your deleted and try again. Or, don't. Raise the white flag and run like hell.

Imagine what Yangdu's e-mail box looks like after posting a DOTD. You mean she got busy and didn't have time to let you down easy??? Jeezzzz. I'm kinda scared of what you might do with a khuk.

IIRC, the DOTDs are awarded simply by the date stamp of the e-mail. I missed out on some by minutes, and finally snagged what I wanted when I set up a draft e-mail, and did a cut/paste.

I have also found Yangdu to be very willing to negotiate on another blem item she might have in stock - picked up a Sarge knife that way with which I couldnt' be happier.

t.

Andy, in this world it is easy to assume the worst. I don't blame Chuck for that.
I am curious though, since I know he was given/offerred a great deal afterwards, what he thinks now?

munk

Well, you guys are nicer than I am, as we all knew. Don't look to a deleted to hold his tongue. What the heck was the point of that post anyway. You need some attention Chuck, is that it?

A. P. Roy - Counselor and Therapist - Specializing in REALITY THERAPY

(I couldn't resist, Andy. :D )

Boo hoo. Did you mistake something around here for a shoulder to cry on? Are we now a support group for sore loosers??? You sent an e-mail 3 minutes after the posting. Sorry Charlie, but I've sent one within the first minute and missed a DOTD. Quit your deleted *again* and try again. Or, don't. Raise the white flag and run like hell.

Imagine what Yangdu's e-mail box looks like after posting a DOTD. You mean she got busy and didn't have time to let you down easy??? Jeezzzz. I'm kinda scared of what you might do with a khuk.

totally agree... first come first served :p
no favoritism involved here... just good ol' fashioned sharking :cool:
i guess instead of "deal of the day" its really more like "deal while it last" or "deal of the minute"

but dont worry bro... there are many more khuks to come :thumbup:

I once saw someone post an "I'll take it." that was time-stamped exactly the same as the first post of the thread. It was a Busse too, not exactly a Bilton blem.

A. P. Roy - Counselor and Therapist - Specializing in REALITY THERAPY

(I couldn't resist, Andy. :D )

I think it'd be an empty office. People hate reality IMO.;)

Thanks for the belly laugh Eric!:thumbup:

Sharking is a time honored tradition here. There is no favoritism. Guys have form letters to send all made up and ready to go. I think Uncle Bill said he got one within 10 seconds of posting the DODT before. Some guys are sharks and never post here. There are lots of silent Cantina Sharks, and they have been at this game for a long time. Bragging and rubbing someone's face in it is an accepted part of the tradition too. Keep trying. Uncle Bill always said these knives find their ways to the owners who are destined for them. I have seen, and been a part of, that tradition too. If the knife is meant to be yours, it will be.

Chuck,

I think aaronjayl is right. I got the 12” that same day. I emailed her twice through the forum and never heard a thing back. It wasn’t till I emailed her directly that I got the usual, friendly response. So I’m pretty positive that Yangdu never got your first emails.

Cody

Hey I know how you feel...but I got lucky when I gave my first choice and my second choice...so I got my my second pick, a 13" Katunje. So hand in there and good luck!!!

Back